Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #76
jbernardo
jbernardo began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Release v0-13-1 is out. Turns out I still had a few bugs in handling the author fields, as well as had forgotten to update the version in the plugin.
I also took a first shot at reducing the calls to the Comicvine API, but without much luck.

PS: sometimes calibre gives a constraint error with too short authors name. I am checking on that and will release a fix asap. In the meantime, remove authors from the authors field starting with the shortest name until it stops complaining.
jbernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #77
jbernardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardo View Post
PS: sometimes calibre gives a constraint error with too short authors name. I am checking on that and will release a fix asap. In the meantime, remove authors from the authors field starting with the shortest name until it stops complaining.
Please ignore this, my db was corrupted.
Advert
Old 10-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #78
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Please consider attaching the plugin's zip file to your message as opposed to pointing to GitHub

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:44 AM   #79
jbernardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Please consider attaching the plugin's zip file to your message as opposed to pointing to GitHub

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Sure, if that is the preferred policy.

Here is the zip for v0-13-1. It is working well for me - but suggestions and bug reports are welcome.
Next release announcement I'll include the zip.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Comicvine.zip (16.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 10-17-2021, 03:38 AM   #80
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
since your fork is no longer python 2 compatibile you might want to add minimum_calibre_version = (5, 0, 0)

to the Comicvine plugin class.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #81
jbernardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
since your fork is no longer python 2 compatibile you might want to add minimum_calibre_version = (5, 0, 0)

to the Comicvine plugin class.
Thanks, I'll do it. I am still learning...
I'd like to add this plugin to the plugins list later, so I need to read a bit more here on the forums to see how. Will I need a new thread or is it possible to "take over" this one?
Old 10-17-2021, 06:41 AM   #82
jbernardo

Version v0.13.2 released
Changes:
Spoiler:
Added minimum_calibre_version.
Now returns volume comments if the issue comments are empty.
Updated the included pycomicvine library.

Zip attached, and also available in github
Attached Files
File Type: zip Comicvine.zip (17.4 KB, 166 views)
Old 10-22-2021, 01:13 AM   #83
MikeyTsi
Enthusiast
MikeyTsi began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I'm still using the original plugin, I'm still running v4.x of Calibre.

To your notes, if you specify the comicvine-author field, it should largely ignore title search (since it has the volume information) and looks for a number it can match to a issue. If you specify comicvine it usually ignores all fields since it has a exact issue to match off of. At least that's been my experience. I usually flag volume for ones where I don't get hits since most of them I'll already have an issue that has the volume field applied and can copy/paste faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardo View Post
Are you using some other fork of the plugin? It would be interesting to see how others have been updating it. I managed to reach the original author, Russel Heilling, by email, and he agreed with my forking of his code to update it.
I've done a new release just now, fixing search on authors as well as main cover download. Adding an author lets the plugin cut down on the number of issues returned significantly, and speeds up the search and increases accuracy of the returned results. I still don't get any decent results from comicvine if I miss some significant word from the title, but that also happens on the site (eg. searching for "Heavy Metal" instead of "Heavy Metal Magazine").
The new release, v0-13-0, is here.
MikeyTsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:49 AM   #84
jbernardo

Any idea how can I reach a moderator so that I can "take over" the first post?
For now I have only a couple of very minor updates, but wouldn't mind reformatting and updating first post so that this would show on the list of calibre's plugins.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:42 AM   #85
jbernardo

Version 0.13.4 released.
Optimised a little bit the queries.
Changed user agent from the default python one, that is now blocked by comicvine API.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Comicvine.zip (17.5 KB, 113 views)
Old 04-28-2022, 07:43 PM   #86
SoccerDad91016
Enthusiast
SoccerDad91016 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8, Microsoft Surface Go 3
Appreciating the updates to this plugin, makes things much easier than trying to scrape comic vine information using another tool and then import the metadata into Calibre.

Keep up the good work.
SoccerDad91016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:27 PM   #87
MikeyTsi
Enthusiast
MikeyTsi began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Had a situation where I had to rebuild my laptop, so I went ahead and went with Calibre 5 and went with the new plugin.

Works great. Thanks.

One general Calibre question I haven't been able to figure out. I'm thinking it would be easier to work with my rather massive comic library if I could "move" all of them from the current physical sort (they all currently get sorted in to "author" etc) to more of a "Imprint"/"Series"/"Issue # - Title" or something to that effect. Is there a way to do that through Calibre? I don't want to have to try to manually change like 50,000 comics.
MikeyTsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #88
jbernardo

New thread started here, as I am managing the plugin now and need to be able to add versions to the first post.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #89
jbernardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTsi View Post
Had a situation where I had to rebuild my laptop, so I went ahead and went with Calibre 5 and went with the new plugin.

Works great. Thanks.
Thanks, it is always good to receive praise!
Please check the new version on Calibre 6 (in the new thread an in github)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTsi View Post
One general Calibre question I haven't been able to figure out. I'm thinking it would be easier to work with my rather massive comic library if I could "move" all of them from the current physical sort (they all currently get sorted in to "author" etc) to more of a "Imprint"/"Series"/"Issue # - Title" or something to that effect. Is there a way to do that through Calibre? I don't want to have to try to manually change like 50,000 comics.
That one you'll need to ask in another place, I have no idea...