Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewt0y View Post
Sorry for the delay replying, by the way. Mea culpa. I have now changed my subscription details for this thread so that I'll get updates straight away rather than weekly batched updates...
No worries by any means This plugin has been a long time coming and I appreciate you putting in the work. I won't get to test this one until later tonight or tomorrow, but I'll let you know how it works.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works a treat! I was able to enter my API key and grab metadata for one book. I'm planning to set up a new library for my comics, so I'll let you know if I hit any roadblocks. It would be nice if Calibre let us configure metadata sources for each file type, but it's not too difficult to deselect everything but Comicvine when doing comics, then "restore defaults" when going back to books.

Thank you!
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #18
taosaur
intelligent posterior

So, there's good news and bad news. For some titles, this plugin fully automates the metadata process: select all the issues in a series, Ctrl-D, Enter, and if the info looks right, let it fill all the fields. For series where Comic Vine has multiple conflicting entries, however, sometimes you get the wrong metadata and sometimes you just get a "failed" dialogue. It's hard to say at this early date how often the plugin will succeed vs. fail, but given how many titles-per-character and volumes-per-title comics tend to spawn, I could see it being a big problem. ComicRack's Comic Vine Scraper gets around it by showing you all the search results and letting you pick the right one.

When the plugin fails, the only recourse I've found is to search out the series on Comic Vine in a browser and copy each issue's ID (the six digit number following "4000-" in the URL) individually to the ID field in Calibre (format "comicvine:xxxxxx"), at which point a metadata download will turn up the right results.

At first glance, I fear Calibre is missing some basic infrastructure to let you address these problems: displaying multiple metadata search results for one, and making use of a numerical series ID for another. Hopefully I'm wrong on one or both counts. Just having a series ID field in Calibre's metadata would make a much more tolerable workaround than going book-by-book.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #19
taosaur
intelligent posterior

So chewt0y, talking to kovid over here, he says a series identifier should work with the existing identifier field if you define the identifier in the plugin. I don't know how complex it would be to get the plugin to grab metadata for individual books when using a series identifier, but probably less so than adding a GUI for selecting search results. Edit: Even grabbing the series metadata would be a useful stopgap, if users just disable filling the "title" field. You don't already have a series identifier defined, do you? Looks like Comic Vine uses "4050" as the series prefix.

Sorry to dominate the thread here for the last little bit, but hopefully it's useful feedback.

Last edited by taosaur; 06-15-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:48 AM   #20
chewt0y
chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Nexus 7
Thanks for the feedback, don't worry about dominating the thread

So far most of the enhancements to this plugin have been tailored for my personal workflow, input from other people to make it more generally useful is greatly appreciated.

The series identifier idea is a good one. The 4050 is not actually part of the volume id, it is an identifier for the "Volume" (series) resource type (similarly the resource type for an issue is 4000).

I will take a look at how I can integrate this into the plugin and let you know when I have it working
chewt0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 04:59 AM   #21
chewt0y
chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.chewt0y is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

While I am working on this, one hint that I find useful when tagging conflicting titles... The plugin will look for a year in the title enclosed in parentheses (e.g. "Batman #21 (2013)") I find this useful for resolving conflicts, as the plugin will prefer entries closer to the listed date to break ties.

This usually works for me, although it can be confused when two issues with the same volume name will be released in the same year (I often see this with DC titles which are reprinted in Italian by Panini)
Old 06-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #22
chewt0y

Version 0.10.0 is out, with support for the 'comicvine-volume' identifier which should work exactly the way described above. Mass tag all issues in a volume with the volume identifier and you shouldn't have to worry about mis-tagging due to title conflicts
Old 06-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
You may want to have a look at https://code.google.com/p/comic-vine-scraper/ which is an equivalent plugin for ComicRack. Maybe you can get some ideas from it and the author is quite helpful.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Version 0.10.0 is out, with support for the 'comicvine-volume' identifier which should work exactly the way described above. Mass tag all issues in a volume with the volume identifier and you shouldn't have to worry about mis-tagging due to title conflicts
Much better

Adding the volume year is a good tip, though, if it's already available in the file names, and I should have thought of it from setting up my XBMC library.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
taosaur
intelligent posterior

The most common error the plugin seems to make is mistaking early issues of a series for the collected editions of that same series. Maybe there's a way to make it always prefer the volume with the larger number of issues, or ask during bulk fetches whether the items are all the same series. Just throwing out ideas.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #26
chewt0y

It has been a while since I updated this thread, but work on the plugin has not stopped.

I have just uploaded v0.10.4 here and updated the release notes. And of course the latest is always available from the Github project page.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #27
Ackis
Ackis began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, iPad 2
Just installed this.

Error when doing a search:

Quote:
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\identify. py", line 43, in run
File "calibre_plugins.comicvine.source", line 141, in identify
File "calibre_plugins.comicvine.utils", line 163, in find_title
File "calibre_plugins.comicvine.utils", line 51, in retry_function
NameError: global name 'target' is not defined
A couple questions, why isn't this added to the plugin list from Calibre?

Also, the download for the latest version on github doesn't work for importing, says a file is missing. The version posted in the first post works. Not sure if that's intentional or not.
Ackis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
chewt0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackis View Post
Just installed this.

Error when doing a search:

A couple questions, why isn't this added to the plugin list from Calibre?

Also, the download for the latest version on github doesn't work for importing, says a file is missing. The version posted in the first post works. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

Hey, thanks for the report. I have spotted the error (dumb typo). I have fixed it and will be uploading the new zip here in the next few minutes.

This has probably become more obvious now as the comicvine API has just had a couple of new resource types added that the pycomicvine library doesn't support yet. I have put a quick patch in for that too while I wait for the upstream to add the new resource types.

And why isn't it on the plugin list? My fault again, I just haven't gotten around to it. Your experience shows that the installation still isn't as smooth as it should be. I wanted to have a few more success stories before pushing it onto the plugins list.

As for the github zip files - I suspect that is because when Github zips a project it includes a top level path, so the plugin files are not in the root of the archive. Can you confirm which file it says it is missing when you try and add it? That would give me some confirmation on whether my theory is correct...
Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
Ackis
Ackis began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, iPad 2
Quote:
As for the github zip files - I suspect that is because when Github zips a project it includes a top level path, so the plugin files are not in the root of the archive. Can you confirm which file it says it is missing when you try and add it? That would give me some confirmation on whether my theory is correct...
Going from memory the github package looked something like:
Plugin/Plugin/Plugin Files

I can't recall if what I did, but I also tried modifying it slightly and trying out:
/Plugin/Plugin files

What I don't remember is if I did that in a zip or not. I'm not sure if it makes any difference to importing a plug in.

As for the exact error, again going from memory, it was something about __init__.py not being in the root directory or not being found.

I can get you more exact details this weekend if you still need them.
Ackis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #30
MikeyTsi
Enthusiast
MikeyTsi began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
It looks like the plugin is now failing to get covers from Comicvine:

B.P.R.D. - Vampire 01 (Failed cover)

Here's the log data:

****************************** Comicvine Covers ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Failed to download valid cover
Took 0.00299978256226 seconds
Downloading cover from: /uploads/scale_large/6/67663/2952195-01.jpg
Failed to download cover from: /uploads/scale_large/6/67663/2952195-01.jpg
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.comicvine.source", line 172, in download_cover
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 216, in _mech_open
BrowserStateError: can't fetch relative reference: not viewing any document

************************************************** ******************************
MikeyTsi is offline   Reply With Quote