Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #31
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Lightbulb In case API Breaks

Just in case the API breaks:

Could you make the plugin customizable, so that the user can enter his/her own API key from GoodReads?

By default, keep it at the API Key that you already have, but if somebody does not heed the warning, this would be a good work around
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #32
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Could you make the plugin customizable, so that the user can enter his/her own API key from GoodReads?
It already is, it just hasn't been documented how.

Not knowing how many people might download this plugin when I published it I would rather not have suddenly had Goodreads suspicious of a mass influx of devkey accounts. If I publish the info here its in the public domain and I would rather hold off on that until it becomes necessary. Lets see how things go and if Goodreads start sending me warnings about volumes then I'll revisit it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #33
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.2 Released

See the first post for the download as per usual.

Changes in this release:
  • Ability to specify a custom column as the destination for the Download shelves as tags feature. Intended for users who want to have a custom genre column separate from their tags. This can also be used for hierarchical display in the tag browser as discussed in this thread.
  • Bug-fix for drag/drop of Goodreads links onto the Search for Goodreads Book dialog to handle inconsistent URLs from Goodreads.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #34
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I just installed this plugin a few days ago and I love it.. It's so good and useful that it should be standard in calibre :-)

I also just updated the search internet plugin (okay I'm a bit slow, I was till using the first version ) and you have improved that out of sight...

Thankyou
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #35
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Thanks iandix, appreciate the positive feedback. And yeah you would have noticed quite a difference in Search the Internet from the very first versions...
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #36
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
oh for your information ...I have them running on Fedora 14, Ubuntu 10.10 and a Windows 7 (64) Without any problems on all three
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #37
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur
ViktorShchedrin began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
the best solution to create Calibre genres and sync

i made few new shelves and synced, everything is great, now i start to think systematically create shelves and keep both - tags and genres.

let me show my solution for today - one example

i have Mystery & Thriler tag because this downloaded when fetch metadata from amazon isbndb etc

and i have shelve mystery-thriller which synced Calibre Mystery.Thriller genre.
ViktorShchedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:48 AM   #38
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
It already is, it just hasn't been documented how.

Not knowing how many people might download this plugin when I published it I would rather not have suddenly had Goodreads suspicious of a mass influx of devkey accounts. If I publish the info here its in the public domain and I would rather hold off on that until it becomes necessary. Lets see how things go and if Goodreads start sending me warnings about volumes then I'll revisit it.
I know it's in the Python source code somewhere. I meant that to add a box that appears when somebody presses "Customize Plugin"

As for a sudden influx, that could indeed be problematic. Seeing as this thread has over 1000 views, that gives the potential of about 1000 people signing up at once. =/ Maybe people should start signing up for API's now, so that if it ever happens, GoodReads won't die from a massive server attack.

That way, people can easily do a gradual transition over, rather than a sudden jump.

EDIT:

I seem to be having a problem with the new plugin. Actually, I tried the old one, and it doesn't work anymore either. I have Calibre 0.7.49. I didn't uninstall the old plugin; I used the add a new plugin button to install over it.

calibre, version 0.7.49
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ZipImportError</b>:bad local file header in C:\Users\James Kwan\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Goodreads Sync.zip

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Kranu\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Go odreads Sync.zip\goodreads_sync_code.py", line 3029, in add_or_remove_to_shelf
File "C:\Users\Kranu\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Go odreads Sync.zip\goodreads_sync_code.py", line 2416, in get_goodreads_books_on_shelf
File "C:\Users\Kranu\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Go odreads Sync.zip\goodreads_sync_code.py", line 2220, in create_oauth_client
ZipImportError: bad local file header in C:\Users\Kranu\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Goo dreads Sync.zip

Last edited by kranu; 03-16-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #39
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@kranu - I think 1000 variations of "Calibre Sync" applications being registered would trigger a few red flags, particularly since I would imagine they do not currently have very many users of their API. It is not in the spirit of the T&C to encourage users of this plugin to take such an approach. Were I at Goodreads I would be very tempted to just ban all of them in response, which would include the official account I have created for this plugin. Then we would be back to no-one being able to use it.

Also remember that it is entirely probable that if not already at least one member of the Goodreads team would come across this thread (a simple Google search would find it) and very quickly see what was going on.

As I posted on the "wanted" thread this plugin is all about encouraging users to maintain their data on Goodreads, not abandon it or one way scraping of data, so it is the sort of thing they should be encouraging. Right now I would rather just follow their recommended official approach and see where it leads us. They have said there will be some leniency and warnings first of which the low volume of users currently means it is not a problem yet.

Re your other problem - that looks like some sort of corruption of your Calibre/plugin install, it isn't a bug in the plugin itself. If you do a google for that error message you will see more information.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #40
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@kranu - I think 1000 variations of "Calibre Sync" applications being registered would trigger a few red flags, particularly since I would imagine they do not currently have very many users of their API. It is not in the spirit of the T&C to encourage users of this plugin to take such an approach. Were I at Goodreads I would be very tempted to just ban all of them in response, which would include the official account I have created for this plugin. Then we would be back to no-one being able to use it.

Also remember that it is entirely probable that if not already at least one member of the Goodreads team would come across this thread (a simple Google search would find it) and very quickly see what was going on.

As I posted on the "wanted" thread this plugin is all about encouraging users to maintain their data on Goodreads, not abandon it or one way scraping of data, so it is the sort of thing they should be encouraging. Right now I would rather just follow their recommended official approach and see where it leads us. They have said there will be some leniency and warnings first of which the low volume of users currently means it is not a problem yet.

Re your other problem - that looks like some sort of corruption of your Calibre/plugin install, it isn't a bug in the plugin itself. If you do a google for that error message you will see more information.
Ok. I guess that makes sense.

And the problem fixed itself magically ;0
Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #41
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Question/Request

Is there a way to sync a book so that it is added to all of the applicable shelves, instead of having to add it to them one by one?

For instance, I just added a brand new book to Calibre with the tags and custom columns of:
Quote:
Fantasy/Supernatural, Fiction, General, Romance, Series, Kindle:Yes & Store:Amazon
The corresponding shelves on GoodReads are:
Quote:
amazon, kindle, fantasy-or-supernatural, & romance
Is there an option that allows me to send the book to all of those bookshelves simultaneously?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #42
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Nyssa - No there isn't a way to do that currently. When I first developed this plugin I did not realise that it was so common for people to create their own genre shelves on Goodreads. The default set of shelves are marked as exclusive, so it didn't make sense to offer a multi-select option.

In the next release I will add a special entry to the bottom of the Add to Shelves menu of "Multiple shelves..." which will pop up a dialog allowing you to select which to add it to.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #43
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
@kiwidude: Ah, okay. Thank you for working on a "multi-shelf" option. I look forward to the next release.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #44
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.3 Released

This release adds a single feature that was requested above. It is a mirror for the Download tags from shelves feature, called Upload tags as shelves.

The previous versions of this plugin added the ability to download tags into a column based on the Goodreads shelf they were on. This new feature available from the Linked book submenu allows you to perform the reverse operation, of putting the selected books on a corresponding Goodreads shelf based on the tag(s) you have applied to that book and the Shelf/Tag mappings you have put in place in the configuration dialog.

Note that you can get the same equivalent functionality already by selecting the books of interest and using the Add to shelf option. This is just an alternative that may better suit those who want to add to multiple shelves with a single click action. The books must be linked to Goodreads first. For more information refer to the help file.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #45
kenr276
Enthusiast
kenr276 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Help please, I can't relink after merging two book records with different formats.

calibre, version 0.7.50
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'PickGoodreadsBookTableWidget' object has no attribute 'selected_goodreads_id'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Good reads Sync.zip\goodreads_sync_code.py", line 3150, in search_goodreads_to_link_book
File "C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Good reads Sync.zip\goodreads_sync_code.py", line 3195, in search_to_link_books
File "C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Good reads Sync.zip\goodreads_sync_code.py", line 805, in selected_goodreads_id
AttributeError: 'PickGoodreadsBookTableWidget' object has no attribute 'selected_goodreads_id'

Thank you for all your hard work it's appreciated. Love your Goodreads plugins.

UPDATE:Adding the book back to my shelf with the plugin and then relinking works.
Sorry for crying help so soon.

Last edited by kenr276; 03-22-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: UPDATE
kenr276 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, goodreads