Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #106
otanim
Enthusiast
otanim has a spectacular aura aboutotanim has a spectacular aura aboutotanim has a spectacular aura aboutotanim has a spectacular aura aboutotanim has a spectacular aura aboutotanim has a spectacular aura aboutotanim has a spectacular aura aboutotanim has a spectacular aura aboutotanim has a spectacular aura aboutotanim has a spectacular aura aboutotanim has a spectacular aura about

Device: KOA, KOA2
Hi knc, my pm is enabled, can I ask you to send me the password to jb file?
otanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #107
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by otanim View Post
Hi knc, my pm is enabled, can I ask you to send me the password to jb file?
PM sent
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #108
kdusr
Connoisseur
kdusr began at the beginning.

Device: KOA, KV, KOA2,PW4,PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It should not impact the cpu usage.
It is an event driven system and the execution path to fail is quite fast.
It will post a re-try event, and the time delay has varied with the firmware version. I can't say what it is with the version you have on it from the factory.
It might be fairly aggressive, since Amazon/Lab126 knows the original firmware version can be jail broken and they do not want that to happen.
I have seen in some versions they will re-try every half an hour.

It should not effect the performance or time between battery re-charges.
Still, put it in airplane mode before letting it go to sleep.
There is no reason to let it connect while you are not using it.
And it will wake up and try to call home even when showing the "idle" screensaver. This is specially true on the Special Offers devices.
Yeah, like having an hour old advertisement on the device would hurt their sales.
thanks for your answer
I will turn of wifi while Kindle is not using it
kdusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #109
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdusr View Post
thanks for your answer
I will turn of wifi while Kindle is not using it
That is the best way.
The first check it makes is to see if Wifi is enabled, if not, it gives up.
It probably takes all of a few tens of micro-seconds to do that.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #110
zes
zes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My wife has a PW3 on 5.8.10, will this jailbreak end up being useful on that device? We could crack it open and do the serial method w/o trouble, but if a soft approach is on the horizon it isn't worth doing (she just wants the book cover screensaver.)
zes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #111
knc1
Going Viral

If you can exchange your PW3 for the new Oasis model, then you can use this jail break.
Otherwise, no way are the two related.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #112
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Hi! I have ordered a KOA2, and it should arrive tomorrow. I have ordered it from Best Buy, so it will not come pre-registered to my Kindle account. It also has special offers. If I want to jb the KOA2, then, based on my reading of this thread, the following is what I should do. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

1) Don't let my Mac touch my KOA2! Use a Windows PC instead.
2) Add the "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder at the root of the USB drive.
3) Turn on WiFi long enough to register my KOA2 and remove special offers.
4) Follow the steps in the link in the OP.
5) Wait patiently for the rest of the magic! (with an standing offer to help if that would be useful)

How'd I do?
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #113
knc1
Going Viral

PM sent.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:49 AM   #114
kzago
kzago began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2
Greetings from Kabul, Afghanistan.

Instructions to block update worked great. My KOA2 out of the box: G000 SA12, fw version 5.9.0.6

I'd be pleased to test JB. Thanks!
kzago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #115
fllc
has been
fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k4nt, touch, PW2, koa2, pw4, Nook GLP 7.8
Beta tester available for 1 week

My KOA2 is going back to Amazon next week.

Until then I can test anything on it and compare with PW2.

KOA2-32gb 5.9.2 with SO wifi (G000 SA)
PW2-4gb 5.8.11 without SO wifi (9017)

Both are jailbroken. Both are registered.

I use the following (on PW2 except as noted):

font_ramp (on KOA2 and PW2)
kual
coolreader
koreader
librariansync with folders
kterm
kindleexplorer
screensavers in cover mode
prune orphaned folders

I played with practically all other extensions but found the above to be most useful.

(PS Returning KOA2 because I can't adjust to the flashing and artifacts as lines of text refresh on page turns, especially in the dark.)
fllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #116
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
@knc1: My KOA2 arrived today. G000P8, firmware version 5.9.0.5.1.

My image file is currently being uploaded to Dropbox. Even compressed, this is going to take some time. I'll PM you tomorrow with the link.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #117
kimota.nomis
kimota.nomis began at the beginning.

New Kindle Oasis 2

I have a Kindle Oasis 2 WiFi 32Gb with serial number prefix G000 SA. Am I correct that there is a jail break available for this? I added the update.bin.tmp.partial directory to the USB storage to block further updates, registered the device and haven't added a passcode or parental controls.

Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you!
kimota.nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #118
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimota.nomis View Post
I have a Kindle Oasis 2 WiFi 32Gb with serial number prefix G000 SA. Am I correct that there is a jail break available for this? I added the update.bin.tmp.partial directory to the USB storage to block further updates, registered the device and haven't added a passcode or parental controls.

Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you!
What is the firmware?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #119
kimota.nomis
kimota.nomis began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
What is the firmware?
Oops, sorry. I meant to include that. It's 5.9.2
kimota.nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #120
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimota.nomis View Post
Oops, sorry. I meant to include that. It's 5.9.2
not for 5.9.2, only for the earlier version that it was shipped with.

Tags
jailbreak, koa2