Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I don't believe the New Oasis is worth the asking price. Not when for $50 you can get Everything but the Water proofing. Unless you live on a boat or beach or read in a bath tub....even them Zip lock bags work just as well from my understanding.
Where can you get a Reader with a larger than 6" screen for $50?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #17
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Storage cards of all types are supported by the current SoC.
But it is very hard to make them waterproof.
Seriously? Samsung doesn't seem to have a problem doing so on their phones, which has been the case on the S5, S7, and S8 - just make a tray with a gasket. Done.
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #18
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Has anyone ever filled up their 4GB Kindles with ebooks? Does it really bog down? Wouldn't 8GB or 32GB filled with books be crazy slow?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:48 PM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Has anyone ever filled up their 4GB Kindles with ebooks? Does it really bog down? Wouldn't 8GB or 32GB filled with books be crazy slow?
My PW3 only has 3 g of space since they added the voice file
My Kobo has space for 3,500 ebooks its full Now working on the SDcard which has 1000 ebooks on it Total 4,500 ebooks works fine! So the answer is NOPE...

Last edited by Barbara1955; 10-13-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #20
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
The New Oasis is worth it!

Quote:
I don't believe the New Oasis is worth the asking price. Not when for $50 you can get Everything but the Water proofing. Unless you live on a boat or beach or read in a bath tub....even them Zip lock bags work just as well from my understanding.
Just like I wouldn't want to live in a world without Classic Coke, I wouldn't want to read on a $50 e-reader shoved into a zip lock bag.

I value the nuances of my reading experience and will happily buy every flagship e-reader Amazon puts out. There's a marked difference between my Kindle Oasis and all my older Kindle models.

It's subjective of course. But for me, it's a sure thing.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:20 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Just like I wouldn't want to live in a world without Classic Coke, I wouldn't want to read on a $50 e-reader shoved into a zip lock bag.

I value the nuances of my reading experience and will happily buy every flagship e-reader Amazon puts out. There's a marked difference between my Kindle Oasis and all my older Kindle models.

It's subjective of course. But for me, it's a sure thing.
I haven't seen a $50 ereader. I wouldn't want to try to use the $50 fire in a zip lock bag.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:34 PM   #22
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I haven't seen a $50 ereader. I wouldn't want to try to use the $50 fire in a zip lock bag.
You nailed it cindy that what I was talking about

But Yes I have several neighbors that use a zip lock bag for reading while in the tub. 2 that I know of that took there tablets to the beach ... same. Actually that's how the conversation got started!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:41 AM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

But Yes I have several neighbors that use a zip lock bag for reading while in the tub. 2 that I know of that took there tablets to the beach ... same. Actually that's how the conversation got started!
Thanks for the clarification.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:38 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Yes, my Voyage is pretty full.

The only thing that's a little slower when it's full is the global search (as you would expect), and the faster CPU of the new device should take care of that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:46 AM   #25
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have two Paperwhite ereaders which I alternate. I never have more than thirty or so books on a reader. At least once a year, I do a reset device. If I have a problem of some sort I do a reset device as my first step to correct the problem. It usually works but it erased all the titles on the device.

I don't think I'd want 2,326 titls on the device when I did a reset device.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:57 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have two Paperwhite ereaders which I alternate. I never have more than thirty or so books on a reader. At least once a year, I do a reset device. If I have a problem of some sort I do a reset device as my first step to correct the problem. It usually works but it erased all the titles on the device.

I don't think I'd want 2,326 titls on the device when I did a reset device.
In all the years I've been using Kindles, I've never once had to do a reset. A factory reset should really be the last resort in problem solving, rather than the first step!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:00 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Same here.
And I have an awful lot of Kindles.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #28
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In all the years I've been using Kindles, I've never once had to do a reset. A factory reset should really be the last resort in problem solving, rather than the first step!
This is why I finally gave up on my Kobo H20. I've lost count of the times i've had to do a factory reset. Sticking with Kindles now.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
This is why I finally gave up on my Kobo H20. I've lost count of the times i've had to do a factory reset. Sticking with Kindles now.
Although having to restart the Kindle is rare and having to reset a Kindle is extremely rare . . . .
They could still use some help:
https://www.amazon.jobs/en/teams/dev...software&cache
334 open jobs in device software and services development.

- - - - -

One thing that I notice while browsing through a small selection of those position descriptions:
Most of them require one less degree level than I would normally expect from the job description (and yes, I have hired a few people back in my days of having a day job).
I.E: They are willing to hire MS for work at the PhD level. (and we sometimes wonder how they could screw-up in some of the ways that they have in the past).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Why not just take a quick shower and then go read? Reading while sitting in dirty water is no my idea of fun.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-14-2017 at 11:27 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote