Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #16
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Batch download from Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcurtis View Post
That's not quite true? I know of at least three that allow reading in while downloading in parallel.
Sorry for my typo. I meant many other readers.

I know a couple readers that support background downloading from OPDS, ShuBook 2M and the good old Stanza. However, Bookmaster is the best, for example it has much better download queue management.

I've checked out the Hyphen website and Hyphen doesn't seem to support OPDS download from Calibre. Matt, please correct me if I am wrong.

IMHO, it is a must for people like me, who has a library of hundreds of books in Calibre.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:06 AM   #17
mattcurtis
Book Lover, Dev of Hyphen
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone (Hyphen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
Sorry for my typo. I meant many other readers.

I know a couple readers that support background downloading from OPDS, ShuBook 2M and the good old Stanza. However, Bookmaster is the best, for example it has much better download queue management.

I've checked out the Hyphen website and Hyphen doesn't seem to support OPDS download from Calibre. Matt, please correct me if I am wrong.

IMHO, it is a must for people like me, who has a library of hundreds of books in Calibre.
No, you're right - Hyphen doesn't support ODPS catalogs at the moment. It will though in a coming update.
mattcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #18
dolfyn
dolfyn began at the beginning.

Device: iPad kindle app, Kindle
I've been e-mailing them in .mobi format to my amazon Kindle account, then using them in the Kindle reading app for iPad. I suppose that's only a viable solution if you don't mind going through amazon and don't have a large number of books.

So glad to know there are options to use Dropbox and get them directly! I'm going to check out the other apps mentioned now!
dolfyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:20 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I just use drag and drop in iTunes to get my books into the Kindle App. Works absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #20
Dchiplin
deb_oh_canada
Dchiplin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma & Aura One & iPad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
A Custom Column is an easy way to see which books are already in Marvin and which are not.
- Populate the custom column with the correct values. Use a "bulk" edit of custom metadata for large libraries."
Hi Marty - I found your instructions and hoped this would be the lifesaver to keep Marvin on my iPad and Calibre synced since the iOS plug-in broke. I get books over using Calibre OPDS but can no longer sync them in any reasonable way as I cannot "see" what books are on my iPad.

I created the column as per your instructions and am stymied from there. I must be missing something on how I will know which items are currently in Marvin to do the "bulk" edit in Calibre. I have many hundred books in Marvin on my iPad so not really possible to eyeball it. Can you provide any additional instructions?

Much appreciate any help with this.
Dchiplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2016, 07:30 PM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiplin View Post
Hi Marty - I found your instructions and hoped this would be the lifesaver to keep Marvin on my iPad and Calibre synced since the iOS plug-in broke. I get books over using Calibre OPDS but can no longer sync them in any reasonable way as I cannot "see" what books are on my iPad.

I created the column as per your instructions and am stymied from there. I must be missing something on how I will know which items are currently in Marvin to do the "bulk" edit in Calibre. I have many hundred books in Marvin on my iPad so not really possible to eyeball it. Can you provide any additional instructions?

Much appreciate any help with this.
One thing to keep in mind is that you can do a bulk select and download a bunch of books at the same time. Since Marvin won't double add a book, just download everything so you now know that everything in Calibre is in Marvin. After that point, you can simply sort by date added and see what the most recent book is, then when you download, sort by newest and download any books that are before the most recent book in Marvin. That's what I did.

I managed to download almost 3000 books that way.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:04 AM   #22
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
The official version of calibre companion is out for iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cali...n/id1171161691

and its comments thread on mobileread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=280144
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
The official version of calibre companion is out for iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cali...n/id1171161691

and its comments thread on mobileread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=280144
It's very well done. Right now, I'm experimenting with using CC to keep my library in sync with Calibre on my mac, and then using CC to pass the books to Marvin. I'm only keeping books that I'm either reading or queueing to read in Marvin and deleting them when I finish. That gives me the best of both worlds.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #24
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022

It works perfectly on my iPad mini and iPhone. I only use it for metadata so I send txt files. I've been wanting the app on my apple devices for ages.

Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #25
gilbert1111
gilbert1111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks! I've been struggling with this issue of not being able to import to iTunes and thence to my iPad for ages. You've all been very helpful.
gilbert1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #26
Ferante1
Ferante1 began at the beginning.

Device: Macbook Air OS, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6, Marvin, Goodreader, kindle
Workflow CC-Marvin-Goodreader?

Looking for a workflow on using Cloud-CC-Calibre-Marvin-Goodreader.
I am new to this, and it is taking me days to read all the manuals, and figure what to do.
No such workflow anywhere, all such threads are from 2013

So far I've put some books onto CC on my phone and ipad. Now how do I make Marvin/Goodreader (on same devices) see them?
I bought the old Marvin Classic, since it looks like the new Marvin 3 is still unstable - hope this won't be an issue.

Big picture, wondering what are the practical difference between using:
1) {books in Calibre in CC in Cloud} <--> Marvin/Goodreader
2) {books in Calibre in Cloud} <--> Marvin/Goodreader
3) {books in Cloud} <--> Marvin/Goodreader

(the last option skips Calibre and CC altogether - which I am tempted to try - and passes books directly from one's chosen cloud service (am thinking to use iCloud) to Marvin/Goodreader, and back.)
I store a bunch of free PDFs and e-books in the Cloud, and I keep a Word file where I organize/prioritize my books, so I don't need anything to organize my files - just need to be able to read, annotate and sync files between my iPad, iPhone and laptop.

Any help highly appreciated.

Macbook Air OS 10.12.2, iPad Air 2 iOS 10.2.1, Calibre 2.77, iPhone 6 IOS 10.2.1; Marvin 2.9.1; Goodreader 4.12.0

Last edited by Ferante1; 01-25-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Ferante1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #27
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You may find more help about this particular work flow in the Calibre Companion forum or Marvin forum.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #28
Ferante1
Ferante1 began at the beginning.

Device: Macbook Air OS, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6, Marvin, Goodreader, kindle
This thread is part of the Calibre Companion forum... i might try the marvin forum, it looks like very few ppl view this CC forum... Thanks!
Ferante1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #29
cedhax
Addict

This is a thread of the generic (reading apps on) Apple Devices forum. Follow the link above for the special Calibre Companion forum. :-)

Tags
calibre companion, ios