Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodygi View Post
I would recommend "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. I just finished reading it and thought it was very good.

But I have a question. I have a Sony PRS-505. How do I get newsfeeds from the sites listed above onto my reader? Could someone please tell me? Thanks
In order to get calibre newsfeeds to your reader, you must download calibre and install it on your PC. You can get it at http://calibre-ebook.com/.

The software is pretty self-explanatory, but if you have any questions, folks in here will be glad to help you. The calibre forums are located at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166.

If no one else can answer your questions, the software's creator, kovidgoyal, has always shown himself to be extremely helpful to everyone who asks. His MobileRead profile is located at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=6625.

Hope that answers your question!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Michio Kaku ... Kenny, I don't recall if I've seen Kaku on TV. ....

Yeah, He totally turns me off TV presence wise.....what I've read of his writing is great.

go figgure...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #48
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
So, as a change of pace from my usual bio/paleo mentions, I just finished reading a great astronomy book, The Hunt for Planet X, and was about to recommend it. I started looking for the ebook pricing, and found myself in the depths of insanity of Lovecraftian proportions-- the only (legit) electronic version I can find costs $25-- per section. So a full copy of the book would cost you $250.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-0-387-77804-4

so if you want it you are stuck with the print copy

http://www.amazon.com/Hunt-Planet-Wo...dp/0387778047/

or getting it by other means (cough, cough).

It is a very nice historical book starting from the discovery of Uranus, going to the Brown/Oritz kerfuffle and the disemplanetizing of Pluto, and summing up with mention of a few future/current projects for finding outer solar system objects. It is really too bad that on the ebook front the publishers can't discover Theiranus with both hands and a flashlight.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #49
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
So, as a change of pace from my usual bio/paleo mentions, I just finished reading a great astronomy book, The Hunt for Planet X, and was about to recommend it. I started looking for the ebook pricing, and found myself in the depths of insanity of Lovecraftian proportions-- the only (legit) electronic version I can find costs $25-- per section. So a full copy of the book would cost you $250.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-0-387-77804-4
Actually, there appear to be 24 paid sections. So a bit more than 250$.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m currently reading The Varieties of Scientific Experience by Carl Sagan, edited and with an Introduction by Ann Druyan.

From Scientific American:

Sagan, writing from beyond the grave (actually his new book, The Varieties of Scientific Experience, is an edited version of his 1985 Gifford Lectures), asks why, if God created the universe, he left the evidence so scant. He might have embedded Maxwell’s equations in Egyptian hieroglyphs. The Ten Commandments might have been engraved on the moon. "Or why not a hundred- kilometer crucifix in Earth orbit?… Why should God be so clear in the Bible and so obscure in the world?" He laments what he calls a "retreat from Copernicus," a loss of nerve, an emotional regression to the idea that humanity must occupy center stage. Both Gingerich and Collins, along with most every reconciler of science and religion, invoke the anthropic principle: that the values of certain physical constants such as the charge of the electron appear to be "fine-tuned" to produce a universe hospitable to the rise of conscious, worshipful life. But the universe is not all that hospitable-try leaving Earth without a space suit. Life took billions of years to take root on this planet, and it is an open question whether it made it anywhere else. To us carboniferous creatures, the dials may seem miraculously tweaked, but different physical laws might have led to universes harboring equally awe-filled forms of energy, cooking up anthropic arguments of their own.

George Johnson is author of Fire in the Mind: Science, Faith, and the Search for Order and six other books. He resides on the Web at talaya.net
Old 01-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #51
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I’m currently reading The Varieties of Scientific Experience by Carl Sagan, edited and with an Introduction by Ann Druyan.

From Scientific American:

Sagan, writing from beyond the grave (actually his new book, The Varieties of Scientific Experience, is an edited version of his 1985 Gifford Lectures), asks why, if God created the universe, he left the evidence so scant. He might have embedded Maxwell’s equations in Egyptian hieroglyphs. The Ten Commandments might have been engraved on the moon. "Or why not a hundred- kilometer crucifix in Earth orbit?… Why should God be so clear in the Bible and so obscure in the world?" He laments what he calls a "retreat from Copernicus," a loss of nerve, an emotional regression to the idea that humanity must occupy center stage. Both Gingerich and Collins, along with most every reconciler of science and religion, invoke the anthropic principle: that the values of certain physical constants such as the charge of the electron appear to be "fine-tuned" to produce a universe hospitable to the rise of conscious, worshipful life. But the universe is not all that hospitable-try leaving Earth without a space suit. Life took billions of years to take root on this planet, and it is an open question whether it made it anywhere else. To us carboniferous creatures, the dials may seem miraculously tweaked, but different physical laws might have led to universes harboring equally awe-filled forms of energy, cooking up anthropic arguments of their own.

George Johnson is author of Fire in the Mind: Science, Faith, and the Search for Order and six other books. He resides on the Web at talaya.net
added to my amazon wish list. Be sure to give us you review when you finish.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #52
sosuke
sosuke began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan.

I think everyone should have to read this book. By that I mean everyone on the planet should be forced to read this book. If only there were ebook editions of this book...
sosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #53
kennyc

That is a good one!

I just ordered a used P-book copy of it.

Here's a you-tube:

Last edited by kennyc; 01-30-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #54
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Michio Kaku and Brian Greene are two of my favorite science authors. Kenny, I don't recall if I've seen Kaku on TV. For all I know he may indeed come across as some sort of mechanical dramatist in person, but he sure has a flowing and engaging writing style.

Speaking of TV, did anyone see The Elegant Universe? I thought it was great, although it has to be kept in mind while watching it that string theory, however elegant, is still in the realm of theoretical speculation.
Definitely have to agree with WT on this. Very much enjoy both authors
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 AM   #55
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
I've read and enjoyed Greene, Sagan and Bryson but have not read anything by Tyson or Kaku, I'll look them up.

I'd add:
Infinite in all Directions - Freeman Dyson
The Red Limit and The Whole Shebang - both by Timothy Ferris
The Trouble with Physics - Lee Smolin

Also, alee found a free ebook from NASA here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71900
It's about the X-15 - looks interesting
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 AM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosuke View Post
The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan.

I think everyone should have to read this book. By that I mean everyone on the planet should be forced to read this book. If only there were ebook editions of this book...
I had previously requested that the publisher make this work available as an e-book. Maybe one day!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-03-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:13 AM   #57
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins

If Thomas Henry Huxley was famously "Darwin's bulldog", then Richard Dawkins is probably best described as "Darwin's pit bull". He gets his teeth into an argument, locks on and shakes it until submission is the only option.
I actually also enjoyed Dawkins older books - before he got all religiously anti-religious. Back then he was slightly more focused on biology and between the lines you can feel the fascination and passion with his work:
The Selfish Gene
The Extended Phenotype
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #58
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Anybody got any recommendations for an e-book title on the history of Chemistry? I'm watching the series Chemistry: A Volatile History on BBC Four and it's great.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #59
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Anybody got any recommendations for an e-book title on the history of Chemistry? I'm watching the series Chemistry: A Volatile History on BBC Four and it's great.
I'm sorry I don't have a good reply for you. Unfortunately, J. R. R. Partington's A Short History of Chemistry is not available as an ebook (nor is his definitive multivolume set). The paperback is widely available used. It is accurate and thorough but if you were looking for flair or something about the curious characters of the scientists involved, you should probably look elsewhere.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #60
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Great series, I've just been catching it on IPlayer.

I don't know of any specifically chemistry based but there are lots of good broad histories of science.

Two I'd recommend are:

Science: A History: 1534-2001 by John Gribbin

and

Age of Wonder: How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science by Richard Holmes

both of which are fascinating for different reasons. Gribbins book is probably more a straight history with more of the chemistry talked about in that series.

Both are published as ebooks in various places.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote