Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2018, 02:04 AM   #1
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
While reading Pocket articles on Kobo, is there a way to show the original article?

Is there a way to show (either) the original article in the experimental web browser (or at least its URL)?

It happens that important parts of the articles I save to Pocket are ignored. I would like to find a way to open the page when I am on the go (I've got WiFi on the go, but dislike to switch to my smartphone to check my Pocket account and fish out my article from there)...

Thanks in advance for answering me!
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Pocket is a privacy fail and also doesn't work well. The ONLY use case is people with no laptop/PC.
I also find that "Reader" mode often skips parts of pages.
Save As "Web Page Complete" and you can import into Calibre and convert.
Best solution, especially if an article is several pages, is top copy & paste into MS Word or LibreOffice Writer, optionally adjust graphics and tables, optionally remove links (select entire document and right click, remove hyperlink to remove ALL links in LibreOffice).
Then convert using Calibre (.doc on Windows or .odt on Linux).
FAR better results, and private. Why tell a 3rd party all the pages you are especially interested in, apart from the fact it often doesn't work properly.

The create WP doc and import to Calibre also lets you easily combine content from different web sites.

The Kobo Web Browser is a pain anyway, I don't know why they don't paginate the web pages as Kindle does (or did), simple as eBooks are sort of continuous HTML anyway, paginated. Actually I wish a desktop and mobile browser had a kindle reader mode, scrolls were obsolete 2000 years ago (Codex means paginated rather than continuous scroll). Scrolling is SO painful on Kobo, and often accidentality the font size is changed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Pocket is a privacy fail and also doesn't work well. The ONLY use case is people with no laptop/PC.
If there are issues with how Pocket displays the articles, report them to Pocket. They are actually the ones generating the pages displayed.
Quote:
Save As "Web Page Complete" and you can import into Calibre and convert.
Best solution, especially if an article is several pages, is top copy & paste into MS Word or LibreOffice Writer, optionally adjust graphics and tables, optionally remove links (select entire document and right click, remove hyperlink to remove ALL links in LibreOffice).
Then convert using Calibre (.doc on Windows or .odt on Linux).
FAR better results, and private. Why tell a 3rd party all the pages you are especially interested in, apart from the fact it often doesn't work properly.
The create WP doc and import to Calibre also lets you easily combine content from different web sites.
And you have very quickly outlined why people are willing to let Pocket see what they are browsing. The amount of work needed to get this right is beyond most people and the amount of time spent at the PC doing this would probably mean they should have just read the article.
Quote:
The Kobo Web Browser is a pain anyway, I don't know why they don't paginate the web pages as Kindle does (or did), simple as eBooks are sort of continuous HTML anyway, paginated. Actually I wish a desktop and mobile browser had a kindle reader mode, scrolls were obsolete 2000 years ago (Codex means paginated rather than continuous scroll). Scrolling is SO painful on Kobo, and often accidentality the font size is changed.
But, that isn't how web pages are designed. They are designed to be scrolled. Having a page up and down would be good, but I don't believe that not supporting scrolling is the right thing. In fact, I believe you would see more complaints than praise.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #4
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
But, that isn't how web pages are designed. They are designed to be scrolled. Having a page up and down would be good, but I don't believe that not supporting scrolling is the right thing. In fact, I believe you would see more complaints than praise.
They could paginate vertically, like when you press the space bar in a web browser on the computer.

I agree on the fact that there would be thousand ways to achieve a better web browser (which on the Kobo is still "experimental")...
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:43 AM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:

In your opinion, I presume you meant to add. I use Pocket daily and love it. I have no issue with it skipping parts of pages either. You must be trying to 'pocket' really weird articles, which might explain your issue with privacy. I personally don't mind Pocket having the articles I want to read in their database, they send them to my Kobo and make reading fun!

I don't understand why you think Pocket is only useful if you don't have a laptop or PC. I much prefer to read the articles on my ereader than on my laptop or tablet LCD screen.

I agree with all three points davidfor makes above.

Anyway, that's all off topic.

~~~~~~~~

I don't think there's a way to see the original article from the Articles section in Kobo, unless the link is in the article. Kobo will ask you if you want to follow any link you select (in the browser), or add the link to your Pocket as an article (quite neat I think). If I need to for some reason (up till now only to grab the URL to share), I favourite the article so that it's easy to find from my tablet or laptop (favouriting might not be necessary if you don't have such a ridiculous article reading backlog as I do).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
stiivo
Enthusiast
stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.

I have experienced the same issue, where some articles would only show parts of it on my Kobo.

The only solution I found was (a workaround of sorts) to add a chrome extension called Save as eBook https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pejdnffj?hl=en and have the entire webpage converted to an epub which I would transfer to my ebook reader.

Last edited by stiivo; 09-26-2018 at 08:25 AM.
stiivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How exactly is Pocket a "privacy fail" if you use a burner e-mail address, and use 3rd party services to send articles to it? Just because it isn't FOSS?
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
They get the cookies, your IP, the time, the previous web site visited, etc. A disposable email doesn't help. It's a disgrace that Mozilla bought into it and integrated it. It's also not needed at all if you can save web pages or copy/paste.

You don't want to be using Chrome at all, ever, Google are getting investigated it's such a privacy fail. No need at all for an epub plugin either. Just save as Webpage Complete or Copy/Paste as outlined earlier.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
They get the cookies, your IP, the time, the previous web site visited, etc. A disposable email doesn't help. It's a disgrace that Mozilla bought into it and integrated it. It's also not needed at all if you can save web pages or copy/paste.

You don't want to be using Chrome at all, ever, Google are getting investigated it's such a privacy fail. No need at all for an epub plugin either. Just save as Webpage Complete or Copy/Paste as outlined earlier.
Fair enough, don't use it if those are your concerns. But, personally, the usefulness and simplicity far outweighs the possible exposure. And be honest, someone is collecting all that information constantly as you wander around the web. At least you know what is happening. And the only way to avoid it is to live in an isolated bunker.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 05:30 PM   #10
elinkser
Groupie
elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Kobo Web Browser is a pain anyway, I don't know why they don't paginate the web pages as Kindle does (or did), simple as eBooks are sort of continuous HTML anyway, paginated.
The Koreader app seems to read html pages well (even with images if you download the whole web page, as Firefox allows). The issue with accidentally clicking on links was annoying, but I set up a gesture - long corner touch - to page forward, bypassing any links.

And people geeky enough to try an old school terminal browser have elinks!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...91&postcount=3

(also available in a chroot)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336175
elinkser is offline   Reply With Quote