Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Newest Sony Arrived (900)

I don't think the thing was ever used. Came in a lighted cover (that works) and with (I think) a good battery. It took about three hours to charge (which is a good sign) but it's inconsistent about displaying battery strength. It sometimes shows 1 bar down, then 2 bars down (when I played music), but when I popped the back off and removed and replaced the battery it's back to displaying a full battery. So I'm guessing, the battery will probably need replaced (which will be extremely easy to do). Apparently Sony never offered newer firmware for the 900 or, if they did, they no longer offer it. So I'm stuck at 1.0.00.12110.

I was able to authorize it to use Adobe DRM files and it currently has a couple library books that I downloaded with the Sony Reader software from Overdrive. The screen is not up to more modern standards, but with the light it's readable. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't have bid on a 600 that came with a lighted case. Since I was impressed with the lighted cover I got the next to last T1/T2 lighted white cover that Richwood linked to at eBay. The last one sold about an hour later.

I like the way they tucked the SD Card and Memory Stick behind a cover. I'm extremely impressed with the build quality on these old Sonys.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
My PRS-900 has the same firmware as yours and the battery still is holding a charge well. I agree about the build quality but wish the screen was less reflective.

A black PRS-650 arrived today and even with transit time shows 4 bars on the battery charge. It looks to be in almost unused condition. I side loaded a bunch of photos and books to it and the screen is a lot better than the prior generation 600 and 900 readers, not nearly as reflective. Did Sony or a accessory manufacturer ever make a matte screen protector for the 600 or 900 that would reduce the reflectivity?

I now have one each of the last 4 generations of Sony readers, a 350, 650 and 950 as well as all three T series models. To me the x50 series were the last of the Sony classic readers with their metal covers and screwed together construction with the stylus storage slot built in.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But what's wrong with the 900 is the awful touch layer. If you read with it, you'll be looking in a mirror. Also, the screen if going to be somewhat fuzzy. It's that bad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I now have one each of the last 4 generations of Sony readers, a 350, 650 and 950 as well as all three T series models. To me the x50 series were the last of the Sony classic readers with their metal covers and screwed together construction with the stylus storage slot built in.
Do you have a 300 and a 505? These both have good, clear screens because they don't have the touch layer. They have 8 levels of grey scale instead of 16, but are still bright and readable (especially with a dark font like Constantia). As JSWolf will mention, they don't have hyphenation or justification. And neither has a dictionary feature. (I should mention, there seems to be a lot of these and they're cheap.)

I think (sooner or later) I'll probably sell my 600 and 900 and won't be looking to pick up a 500 or 700 or T3 (in other words, I won't be trying to collect them all as I've got too many eReaders). I did pick up a T1 off Shop Goodwill for $10 plus s/h – it looks to be in good condition (advertised as working, but no picture showed it turned on) and it's supposed to arrive on Saturday. It's white, so it's the one I plan to put in the white lighted cover you linked. And I will continue to look for a 650, as I would like to have the complete x50 set.

Last edited by rcentros; 02-01-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But what's wrong with the 900 is the awful touch layer. If you read with it, you'll be looking in a mirror. Also, the screen if going to be somewhat fuzzy. It's that bad.
I don't mind the contrast too much in the 600 or 900. With a dark font (like Constantia) it's readable (almost like using the "sepia" or "green" in the Kindle app on a tablet) but the glare is what kills it for me. I find I have to keep adjusting the angle to eliminate the glare and that's a serious problem.
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 12:56 AM   #6
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Do you have a 300 and a 505? These both have good, clear screens because they don't have the touch layer. They have 8 levels of grey scale instead of 16, but are still bright and readable (especially with a dark font like Constantia). As JSWolf will mention, they don't have hyphenation or justification. And neither has a dictionary feature. (I should mention, there seems to be a lot of these and they're cheap.)

I think (sooner or later) I'll probably sell my 600 and 900 and won't be looking to pick up a 500 or 700 or T3 (in other words, I won't be trying to collect them all as I've got too many eReaders). I did pick up a T1 off Shop Goodwill for $10 plus s/h – it looks to be in good condition (advertised as working, but no picture showed it turned on) and it's supposed to arrive on Saturday. It's white, so it's the one I plan to put in the white lighted cover you linked. And I will continue to look for a 650, as I would like to have the complete x50 set.
I have both the 300 and 505 and agree that they are better than the PRS-600 or 900 as far as screen reflections are concerned. In the same class as the x50 and T series units. Sony did at least have the gonads to try new technology even if it was not quite ready for the consumer market. By the time Kindle introduced their first touch screen the reflectivity problem had a solution.

Last edited by Richwood; 02-03-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:56 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I have both the 300 and 505 and agree that they are better than the PRS-600 or 900 as far as screen reflections are concerned. In the same class as the x50 ant T series units. Sony did at least have the gonads to try new technology even if it was not quite ready for the consumer market. By the tie Kindle introduced their first touch screen the reflectivity problem had a solution.
Unless I've remembered wrong, the three Sony x50 series devices, the Kobo Touch and the Nook Simple Touch all came out before the Kindle Touch. I think even the Sony T1 was out before the Kindle Touch (or at least at the same time). Sony didn't lose out on technology, they lost out on infrastructure. Amazon just made it so easy to use their platform.