Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #76
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
having WIFI enabled all the time would drain the battery quicker unnecessarily. it's best to have WIFI enabled only if and when you want to use it.

my WIFI is permanently disabled because i have no need for it, i sideload ALL my books.

best wishes koboy
But as explained above, WIFI *is* off ('asleep') when not in use even if you don't manually disable it.

I leave my Clara's WiFi enabled and the Clara gives me great battery life (more than two weeks).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #77
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
But as explained above, WIFI *is* off ('asleep') when not in use even if you don't manually disable it.

I leave my Clara's WiFi enabled and the Clara gives me great battery life (more than two weeks).
ok so WIFI enabled but not in use = asleep which doesn't drain the battery is that right? if that's the case then it's useful to know not just for me but for others as well thank you.

of course habit dictates i will still disable mine

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #78
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
ok so WIFI enabled but not in use = asleep which doesn't drain the battery is that right? if that's the case then it's useful to know not just for me but for others as well thank you.
Having WiFi on will use more battery. The device will periodically attempt to sync. It will either work or not depending on whether a known network is available. That will of course use more battery than if it can't try at all. How much power is not easy to estimate. But, it is more likely to be reducing the life from four weeks to three weeks rather than down to a couple of days.

What you do is dependent on how you use the device and what makes sense for you. For sideload only users, turning the WIFi off makes sense. For people only reading books from Kobo, it makes more sense to have the WiFi on. And if you read books from Kobo on multiple devices or the apps, then having WiFi on makes a lot of sense to sync your reading status. It is a question of convenience: WiFi on all the time vs. turning it on when needed and some unknown extra battery life.

Of course, if you are constantly using WiFi, such as when using the browser, then it will drain the battery. But, that will also mean you have the CPU, memory and screen running hard. And that drains the battery as well. Which is the greater culprit, I have no idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #79
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Having WiFi on will use more battery. The device will periodically attempt to sync. It will either work or not depending on whether a known network is available. That will of course use more battery than if it can't try at all. How much power is not easy to estimate. But, it is more likely to be reducing the life from four weeks to three weeks rather than down to a couple of days.

What you do is dependent on how you use the device and what makes sense for you. For sideload only users, turning the WIFi off makes sense. For people only reading books from Kobo, it makes more sense to have the WiFi on. And if you read books from Kobo on multiple devices or the apps, then having WiFi on makes a lot of sense to sync your reading status. It is a question of convenience: WiFi on all the time vs. turning it on when needed and some unknown extra battery life.

Of course, if you are constantly using WiFi, such as when using the browser, then it will drain the battery. But, that will also mean you have the CPU, memory and screen running hard. And that drains the battery as well. Which is the greater culprit, I have no idea.
thanks for the detailed explanation.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 AM   #80
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I read a lot of Pocket articles on my Aura One so I never turn off wifi. On the other hand, I hardly ever use the frontlight. And I'm happy with the battery life.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #81
Pimounet
Pimounet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaf View Post
Hello
I installed 2 days ago this firmware on my Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 and since this installation I also experience battery problems: it remains several hours above 95% and then drops suddenly to 25%. At the same time, the clock does not keep proper time.

Edit 09-17-2018 : I returned for 2 days to firmware 4.08.11073 and I have no more battery problem. So it was a problem of firmware and not a problem of hardware.
Yes, exactly the same issue. Clock was not set correctly because wifi could not connect !

I restarted the Kobo and discovered the wifi again (no reset). No problems since 1 week...
Pimounet is offline   Reply With Quote