Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #1141
bookmarked
Addict
bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Nexus 7, iPod Touch 4, HP TouchPad
White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg has dropped to $1.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016JPTQ9U/

Quote:
The New York Times bestseller
A New York Times Notable and Critics’ Top Book of 2016
Longlisted for the PEN/John Kenneth Galbraith Award for Nonfiction
One of NPR's 10 Best Books Of 2016 Faced Tough Topics Head On
NPR's Book Concierge Guide To 2016’s Great Reads
San Francisco Chronicle's Best of 2016: 100 recommended books
A Washington Post Notable Nonfiction Book of 2016
Globe & Mail 100 Best of 2016

“Formidable and truth-dealing . . . necessary.” —The New York Times

“This eye-opening investigation into our country’s entrenched social hierarchy is acutely relevant.” —O Magazine

In her groundbreaking bestselling history of the class system in America, Nancy Isenberg upends history as we know it by taking on our comforting myths about equality and uncovering the crucial legacy of the ever-present, always embarrassing—if occasionally entertaining—poor white trash.

“When you turn an election into a three-ring circus, there’s always a chance that the dancing bear will win,” says Isenberg of the political climate surrounding Sarah Palin. And we recognize how right she is today. Yet the voters who boosted Trump all the way to the White House have been a permanent part of our American fabric, argues Isenberg.

The wretched and landless poor have existed from the time of the earliest British colonial settlement to today's hillbillies. They were alternately known as “waste people,” “offals,” “rubbish,” “lazy lubbers,” and “crackers.” By the 1850s, the downtrodden included so-called “clay eaters” and “sandhillers,” known for prematurely aged children distinguished by their yellowish skin, ragged clothing, and listless minds.

Surveying political rhetoric and policy, popular literature and scientific theories over four hundred years, Isenberg upends assumptions about America’s supposedly class-free society––where liberty and hard work were meant to ensure real social mobility. Poor whites were central to the rise of the Republican Party in the early nineteenth century, and the Civil War itself was fought over class issues nearly as much as it was fought over slavery. Reconstruction pitted poor white trash against newly freed slaves, which factored in the rise of eugenics–-a widely popular movement embraced by Theodore Roosevelt that targeted poor whites for sterilization. These poor were at the heart of New Deal reforms and LBJ’s Great Society; they haunt us in reality TV shows like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty. Marginalized as a class, white trash have always been at or near the center of major political debates over the character of the American identity.

We acknowledge racial injustice as an ugly stain on our nation’s history. With Isenberg’s landmark book, we will have to face the truth about the enduring, malevolent nature of class as well.
bookmarked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:56 AM   #1142
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I ordered this Charles Oman ebook from Amazon, about 20 minutes ago. His specialty is (or was--I don't know if he is still living) the Middle Ages, particularly the wars of that age. Here's the URL:
https://amazon.com/Dark-Ages-476-918...dp/B077PG7Q4B/.

I should have said "three books," because it is a 3-volume set. The price for the entire set: 99 cents!

Furthermore, after I purchased the set, there was a little note from Amazon saying that I would receive " a promotional credit," after my "order had been processed." I wish that I could tell you what that credit is, but unfortunately my order had not finished processing as of about 10 minutes ago, and I've got other things to do after I finish this post. Also keep in mind that I may be getting this credit because Amazon likes me more than anyone else.
A minute or two ago--"status: pending."
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #1143
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Furthermore, after I purchased the set, there was a little note from Amazon saying that I would receive " a promotional credit," after my "order had been processed." I wish that I could tell you what that credit is, but unfortunately my order had not finished processing as of about 10 minutes ago, and I've got other things to do after I finish this post. Also keep in mind that I may be getting this credit because Amazon likes me more than anyone else.
It's for books that are designated as Great on Kindle.

"Great Experience. Great Value.
Enjoy a great reading experience, with a 25% credit towards other Great on Kindle books when you buy the Kindle edition of this book."

The credit expires in several months. If you look at another GoK book before that time, underneath the purchase button you will see: You have $x.xx in eligible eBook credits.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #1144
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
It creates a never-ending purchase impulse cycle. “I’ve got 30 cents in credit, I can’t let it go to waste!” “Now I’ve got 8 cents in credit, let me find another cheap book.”
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #1145
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
But also has helped me get a little bit off on a few non-fiction books that I want, but that never seem to go on sale...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #1146
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you would like to see this program in action, view my last post on the "Cheap Whispersync Deals" thread.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #1147
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Three of the four (for now, with a fifth coming in October, and supposedly, according to the UK blurb for the series, eventually six titles in all) titles in Peter Ackroyd's History of England have dropped to $2.99 at Kindle US as part of the Kindle Daily Deal, matched at Kobo US.

Tudors: The History of England from Henry VIII to Elizabeth I
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Tudors-Histor...dp/B00CQYBAUW/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/tud...to-elizabeth-i

Rebellion: The History of England from James I to the Glorious Revolution, apa in the UK as Civil War: The History of England Volume III
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Rebellion-His...dp/B00J6TV0H8/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/reb...ous-revolution

Revolution: The History of England from the Battle of the Boyne to the Battle of Waterloo
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Hi...dp/B06XRGB3CD/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/revolution-87

I haven't read anything by Ackroyd, who seems to write across a number of genres, although I have picked up the first title in the series, Foundation: The History of England from Its Earliest Beginnings to the Tudors, back when it was on sale. His bio indicates he was elected a fellow of the Royal Society of Literature in 1984 and appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 2003, though, so I guess he's no slouch . Maybe someone else has read some of his books...
Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #1148
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I haven't read anything by Ackroyd, who seems to write across a number of genres, although I have picked up the first title in the series, Foundation: The History of England from Its Earliest Beginnings to the Tudors, back when it was on sale. His bio indicates he was elected a fellow of the Royal Society of Literature in 1984 and appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 2003, though, so I guess he's no slouch . Maybe someone else has read some of his books...
He's best known for writing biographies. I've read several of them and enjoyed them very much indeed. He's a good writer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 AM   #1149
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A veritable cornucopia of historification being sold by the good folks (and bad folks) at Amazon.com.

Daniel Gordis Israel: A Concise History of a Nation Reborn for $1.99.

Barbara W. Tuchman The Guns of August: The Outbreak of World War I for $1.99.

Andrew Roberts Napoleon: A Life for $1.99.

Matthew Lewis Survival of the Princes in the Tower: Murder, Mystery and Myth for $1.50.

Charles Spencer To Catch A King: Charles II's Great Escape for $2.99.

David O. Stewart Impeached: The Trial of President Andrew Johnson and the Fight for Lincoln's Legacy for $3.99.

Philip Freeman Alexander the Great for $3.99.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #1150
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Salt: A World History is a non-fic with a blissfully short title that I very much enjoyed and learned quite a bit from.

I t is currently on sale at Amazon.com for $1.99

The same author wrote a very nice book about paper as well, but that one is not currently on sale.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #1151
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Second Nature: A Gardener's Education by Michael Pollan, who is probably better known for The Botany of Desire, which I read in DTB and really really liked, has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle and Kobo US (coupon/VIPable).

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Second-Nature...dp/B008UX8M9U/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/second-nature-43

Spoiler:
Quote:
“One of the distinguished gardening books of our time,” from the #1 New York Times–bestselling author of The Omnivore’s Dilemma (USA Today).

Chosen by the American Horticultural Society as one of the 75 greatest books ever written about gardening

After Michael Pollan bought an old Connecticut dairy farm, he planted a garden and attempted to follow Thoreau’s example: do not impose your will upon the wilderness, the woodchucks, or the weeds. That ethic did not, of course, work. But neither did pesticides or firebombing the woodchuck burrow. So Michael Pollan began to think about the troubled borders between nature and contemporary life.

The result is a funny, profound, and beautifully written book in the finest tradition of American nature writing. It inspires thoughts on the war of the roses; sex and class conflict in the garden; virtuous composting; the American lawn; seed catalogs, and the politics of planting a tree. A blend of meditation, autobiography, and social history, Second Nature, from the renowned author of The Botany of Desire, In Defense of Food, and other bestsellers, is “as delicious a meditation on one man’s relationship with the Earth as any you are likely to come upon” (The New York Times Book Review).

“Usually when Americans have wanted to explore their relationship to nature they’ve gone to the wilderness, or the woods. Michael Pollan went to the garden instead . . . and he’s returned with a quirky and pleasing book.” —Annie Dillard

“A joy to read.” —Los Angeles Times
Old 09-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #1152
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

1968: The Year That Rocked the World by Mark Kurlansky (who wrote Salt, in @Dngrsone's post two above) has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US as a Kindle Daily Deal, matched at Kobo US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/1968-Year-Tha...dp/B000FC0XWI/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/5NMm7R4xP0KnV0AYhZ2lpg

Spoiler:
Quote:
In this monumental new book, award-winning author Mark Kurlansky has written his most ambitious work to date: a singular and ultimately definitive look at a pivotal moment in history.

With 1968, Mark Kurlansky brings to teeming life the cultural and political history of that world-changing year of social upheaval. People think of it as the year of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Yet it was also the year of the Martin Luther King Jr. and Bobby Kennedy assassinations; the riots at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago; Prague Spring; the antiwar movement and the Tet Offensive; Black Power; the generation gap, avant-garde theater, the birth of the women’s movement, and the beginning of the end for the Soviet Union. From New York, Miami, Berkeley, and Chicago to Paris, Prague, Rome, Berlin, Warsaw, Tokyo, and Mexico City, spontaneous uprisings occurred simultaneously around the globe.

Everything was disrupted. In the Middle East, Yasir Arafat’s guerilla organization rose to prominence . . . both the Cannes Film Festival and the Venice Biennale were forced to shut down by protesters . . . the Kentucky Derby winner was stripped of the crown for drug use . . . the Olympics were a disaster, with the Mexican government having massacred hundreds of students protesting police brutality there . . . and the Miss America pageant was stormed by feminists carrying banners that introduced to the television-watching public the phrase “women’s liberation.”

Kurlansky shows how the coming of live television made 1968 the first global year. It was the year that an amazed world watched the first live telecast from outer space, and that TV news expanded to half an hour. For the first time, Americans watched that day’s battle–the Vietnam War’s Tet Offensive–on the evening news. Television also shocked the world with seventeen minutes of police clubbing demonstrators at the Chicago convention, live film of unarmed students facing Soviet tanks in Czechoslovakia, and a war of starvation in Biafra. The impact was huge, not only on the antiwar movement, but also on the medium itself. The fact that one now needed television to make things happen was a cultural revelation with enormous consequences.

Thoroughly researched and engagingly written–full of telling anecdotes, penetrating analysis, and the author’s trademark incisive wit–1968 is the most important book yet of Kurlansky’s noteworthy career.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #1153
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Salt: A World History is a non-fic with a blissfully short title that I very much enjoyed and learned quite a bit from.

I t is currently on sale at Amazon.com for $1.99

The same author wrote a very nice book about paper as well, but that one is not currently on sale.
I'll have to get the one on the subject of paper, when it goes on sale.

It is fascinating to me how many different things can be made from the very same wood pulp (which is basically cellulose, I think). What the cellulose becomes depends upon how the pulp is _engineered_; how it is engineered depends upon what characteristics that you want from the end product. It can be made into everything from cardboard to toilet paper, paper towels to furniture (yes, _furniture_), stationery to disposable diapers--the list goes on and on.

If the authorship of the paper book is as good as this one on salt appears to be, it should a good one. It's going on my wishlist.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #1154
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
Studs Terkel's "The Good War: An Oral History of World War II" $1.99.

AmazonUs
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:24 AM   #1155
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
I ordered this Charles Oman ebook from Amazon, about 20 minutes ago. His specialty is (or was--I don't know if he is still living) the Middle Ages, particularly the wars of that age. Here's the URL:
https://amazon.com/Dark-Ages-476-918...dp/B077PG7Q4B/.

I should have said "three books," because it is a 3-volume set. The price for the entire set: 99 cents!

And of course I missed it. *Cries*
Onto ereaderiq it goes!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote