Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Question Cloud syncing issues btwn Paperwhite (5.9.6) & Amazon.com

I've edited what I previously posted to make this bug clearer.

I am having sync issues with Cloud collections on my Paperwhite gen 6 running the most recent firmware. Other people are having the same problem: https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...y-kindle-oasis

1) The collections count is wrong. My device showed only 17 cloud collections where there were 19 on amazon.com (All>Collections (17)). After a reset, only 14 collections were shown (All>Collections (14)). These are collections created on amazon.com using Manage Your Content and Devices (amazon).

2) Syncing is inconsistent.
All changes made on amazon sync perfectly with my Kindle app on my iPad (iPad). All changes made on my iPad sync perfectly with amazon. Renaming, adding, and removing books from collections, as well as creating and deleting collections, all sync perfectly between amazon and my iPad. However, most changes sync inconsistently to the Paperwhite, if at all. I am referring to changes in All>Collections, not DOWNLOADED.

3) I am not confused about ALL vs. DOWNLOADED. People assume user error because it's common, so I just want to make this point explicitly clear. These are collection changes not showing under ALL, which should reflect the cloud record shown on amazon.

Curiously, changes made to collections on the Paperwhite sync successfully to amazon and the iPad. It's the other direction that is buggy and unoperational.

• If I add a book to a collection from the Paperwhite, but remove it with my iPad, the change is synced across devices. However, if I add a book to a collection from Paperwhite, but remove it on amazon, the sync often only happens with the iPad.

• After editing collections on the iPad or amazon, the Paperwhite shows no change in the count of books per collection after syncing. Sometimes, I can open a collection to force the added or removed book to be updated, but often, that simply doesn't work. Waiting doesn't seem to make the difference whether I wait an hour or overnight. Sometimes the changes sync, and ofttimes they don't.

Here's what I've done to fix the problem:

1) I've installed the latest firmware. No change.
2) I've rebooted the Paperwhite. No change.
3) I've reset the Paperwhite and set it up as a new device. The problem got worse!
4) I've created a new collection on the Paperwhite and experimented to see if syncing worked better with that collection vs the older ones. No difference.

I'm stumped. It's obviously a bug. Haven't called Kindle support yet. That didn't seem to work for people in the other forum. I've run out of ideas. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix cloud syncing?

See also: https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...ng-collections

Last edited by Cootey; 08-11-2018 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Clarity
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle gives you the option to ‘download’ collections (e.g. show them in DOWNLOADED views). You can download none, some, or all of them. It sounds like you want to download all of them. By default I think collections that you create on other devices do not automatically ‘download’ to Kindle.

Tap ALL, select Collections filter, then you should see a list of all of your collections. Long press on collections you want to add (or tap triple-dot ‘menu’ icon on right side) and then select Add to Downloaded.

I personally do not like to see them listed on my Kindles (too much visual clutter), so I don’t have any ‘downloaded’. I do use collections (mostly so I can see which books I’ve read or have not read), and one can still add and remove a book from any collection even if that collection is not Downloaded. To browse a given collection I just select ALL, set view option to Collections and then browse. I don’t browse collections very much and it is much faster to do so on smartphone or tablet when I do want to do that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your comments, Tomsen, but I'm deleting my reply because I've reworked the OP. I hope that I did a better job explaining the problem the second time around. Cheers.

Last edited by Cootey; 04-17-2018 at 12:25 AM. Reason: False start
Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #4
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
Same for me, with my Voyage.

Since 5.9.5:
- Incorrect count for collection
- Books disappearing from collections
- Impossible to remove some books from collection
- Messages like: -1 other books in cloud...

Last edited by Pyjam; 04-18-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have any Print Replica books, they will not appear on Kindle.

I have Voyage, 5.9.5. The counts differ between it an iOS on 4 of the 7 collections I have, even taking PR books into consideration. 3 show higher count on Kindle, one higher on iOS. Manage Your Content and Devices is even more deviant, showing higher counts than either for 6 of the 7 collections.

So my conclusion is that there are problems everywhere, and not just on Kindle. But it will be a major research project to figure out what is wrong, much less to fix it.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

I don't know what is Print Replica books, but I don't think I have some.
My problem concerns mostly an AZW3 file. I can see the file in the Kindle using the file system on my Mac, but the Kindle can't see it (or don't show it).
Old 04-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjam View Post
Same for me, with my Voyage.

Since 5.9.5:
- Incorrect count for collection
- Books disappearing from collections
- Impossible to remove some books from collection
- Messages like: -1 other books in cloud...
I have had a problem in the last couple of weeks with both 5.9.4 and 5.9.5. Three or four books refuse to stay removed from their collection, no matter how many times I remove them. After being removed, they usually (though not always) reappear in the collection the next time I turn the WiFi on. I'm thinking I might have to delete the collection and re-create it and see if that works. It's nearly always the same small number of books that are affected. They are all books purchased from Amazon on my computer and sent to my Kindle in the usual way.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
Pyjam
Zealot

@John Hopper: I have exactly the same problem but with books I've converted from EPUB to AZW3. That's very curious because those books should not be synchronized.

Regarding my problem with a specific book, I've determined it's due to ligatures I've added to the text. If I send the same book without ligatures, it works. I can see and open the book. After that, if I load the same book with ligatures, I can't see it in the Kindle, but I can access the book using the BACK arrow. Weird...

I don't know if it's a bug with kindle software or with Calibre.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I just realized one reason why my collections on Manage Your Content and Devices have more items: Fire allows you to put both audiobooks and ebooks into them, and I used to do that when I was using a Fire more.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Tomsem's very valid reply to just ¯\(º_o)/¯ and accept things as they are (i.e. broken) is probably going to be the approach I take. However, I'll be monitoring this thread, so if anybody ever finds a way to fix Kindle cloud sync, please don't keep it to yourself.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
This is still bleeping broken on 4 Dec 2019! I opened another thread. I now have searched the internet for a solution and found none, buti did find many similar threads. And every one of these threads has people telling the OPs to select All. Well frigging duh! We know that. The frigging issue is that collections, even those created on the cloud, don’t always show up on our Kindles! I wasted two hours today with CS and those morons still don’t have a clue, nor did they acknowledge that this issue has been around at leasr two years!

What the bleeping good is having a cloud to create collections in when you basically have to create them on your darn Kindle before they work? Heck, the Kindle can’t even see them! What a POS!
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Even then they often don't work. They have a tendency to collect additions, but not removals, so the collections end up with huge amounts of debris in them. It's really annoying, and Amazon have long since taken away every other means of automating cloning Kindles onto new Kindles so that you don't need to care about this nonsense. (I can't be the only person who's put off buying new Kindles by the knowledge that it'll take hours of pointless makework pissing about to set them up...)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #13
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I guess that is why I was so upset. I’ve had a Basic Kindle for quite a while but never attempted to load collections on it, choosing instead to use my iPad and the Kindle app. I just assumed that what worked on the app would work on a brand new and expensive Oasis 3, but nope it doesn’t! Then my new Oasis 3 suddenly developed a thin vertical line running completely across the screen top to bottom this afternoon. WTH! It lasted a whole 5 days before going wonky...
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #14
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
@OtinG "WTH! It lasted a whole 5 days before going wonky..."

I feel your pain. sorry you're dealing with this.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
argh, collections, kindle, sync