Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Another thing with editor

Since I am here and motivated I will mention one more point for completeness
When I am using the editor and the following conditions apply:
1. I have many tabs open, i dont know but say 20+
2. I start to edit a url for example the xlink inside an svg
Then sometimes the editor will become completely unresponsive, not using cpu, just frozen. Nothing on task manager, no cpu or io.
The only way out is to kill (usually) the first calibre worker process from task manager. Then everything springs back to life though the previews become unpredictable.
Ps windows 10
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
After opening the titlepage with the cover image, you have to wait a few seconds until the software does whatever it does to find the image. If you watch the cover image URL, you can tell when the software is done doing whatever it does. Then you can start editing. If you try to edit anything on that page before you wait a few seconds, the software will hang. This has happened to me many times. I reported it in a message in this forum late last year, but it hasn't been fixed yet.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Deback it’s not that, though it sounds similar
It’s alwas when editing a url during a long edit session - can equally be a toc url or whatever. Just start typing into that url and it’s goodnight vienna :-)
You can wait for hours, I left it overnight, the program never becomes responsive again
Until I discovered I could cancel the worker process, I used to cancel and lose my work

Last edited by Stevex; 08-03-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you can come up with a set of steps to reproduce the issue I can look into it, but from your description I cannot reproduce it. It ried opening twenty tabs and then editing a URL, nothing bad happened.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:51 AM   #5
Stevex
Addict

Hi Kovid
Yes I do understand the problem! Because it always happens after a long period of editing, it’s not so easy to say exactly what led up to it so you can repro it. I’ll come back here if I can offer something more helpful.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
Deback it’s not that, though it sounds similar
It’s alwas when editing a url during a long edit session - can equally be a toc url or whatever. Just start typing into that url and it’s goodnight vienna :-)
You can wait for hours, I left it overnight, the program never becomes responsive again
Until I discovered I could cancel the worker process, I used to cancel and lose my work
My response was related to editing the URL of the cover image, no matter how many tabs are open and no matter how long the editing session is. You have to wait a few seconds until the software finds the path to the cover image, and if you try to edit it before you wait those few seconds, the program will hang. The only way to fix it is to click the button to close out the Editor.

I believe this problem will occur when editing any URL. I usually only edit the cover image URL, so that's why I haven't had this problem with other URLs in the file. I think the problem I've had is the same problem you've had. For some reason, the software needs time to recognize and find the file in the URL, or it will crash.

The way to find the problem is to open any file that includes a URL. Opening the titlepage would be a good start. Then QUICKLY place your cursor in the URL and try to change it.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
Stevex
Addict

Note to myself
It’s the worker process creating the preview window that hangs
Cancel this and everything comesback to life, though obviously preview windows stops working