Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #46
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
There is always Larry Burkett - Solar Flare.. which is an apocalyptic style book set pretty close to modern day
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #47
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Don't forget The Road, by McCarthy. Not exactly SF but definitely post apocalyptic.
I read it, but I didn't like it that much. I like a little hope mixed in with my postapocalypsy. Everyone just seems to be delaying the inevitable.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #48
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Not to spoil anything but at the very end there remains survival and hope for the angelic (or naive if you prefer) boy.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #49
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Stephenie Meyer, The Host

It starts kind of slow but I liked it.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #50
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
Battlefield Earth
A science fiction novel set in the year 3000, when Earth is an empty wasteland full of aliens, and one man decides to marshal the survivors to rid Earth of the alien invaders.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/...ield-earth.htm

I was in my "if its a big book it MUST be good phase" when I saw this in a remainder bin, having remembered my favorite science fiction author R. A. Heinlein mentioned Hubbard as being part of the then "golden age" of writers, I liked the book...

kinda out there as a POST Apocalyptic story I liked Frank Herbert's The White Plague
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/...ite-plague.htm about what might drive a man to bring about the ruination of the world...

and also War Day by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka which might be a more realistic (for 1984) scenario the aftermath of a limited nuclear exchange http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warday

and for a more hands on.. there's always playing fallout3
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #51
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomereader View Post
Battlefield Earth

and for a more hands on.. there's always playing fallout3
I loved Battlefield Earth.

Just realise, my Console games are all a bit like this ;-) well except for GT5

And an apology, don't get too upset if I don't get all these read before I die!

there's a lot of books here

Jeff
jethro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #52
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainphart View Post
Spin - Robert Charles Wilson

SUMMARY:
One night in October when he was ten years old, Tyler Dupree stood in his back yard and watched the stars go out. They all flared into brilliance at once, then disappeared, replaced by a flat, empty black barrier. He and his best friends, Jason and Diane Lawton, had seen what became known as the Big Blackout. It would shape their lives. The effect is worldwide. The sun is now a featureless disk--a heat source, rather than an astronomical object. The moon is gone, but tides remain. Not only have the world's artificial satellites fallen out of orbit, their recovered remains are pitted and aged, as though they'd been in space far longer than their known lifespans. As Tyler, Jason, and Diane grow up, space probe reveals a bizarre truth: The barrier is artificial, generated by huge alien artifacts. Time is passing faster outside the barrier than inside--more than a hundred million years per day on Earth. At this rate, the death throes of the sun are only about forty years in our future. Jason, now a promising young scientist, devotes his life to working against this slow-moving apocalypse. Diane throws herself into hedonism, marrying a sinister cult leader who's forged a new religion out of the fears of the masses.Earth sends terraforming machines to Mars to let the onrush of time do its work, turning the planet green. Next they send humans...and immediately get back an emissary with thousands of years of stories to tell about the settling of Mars. Then Earth's probes reveal that an identical barrier has appeared around Mars. Jason, desperate, seeds near space with self-replicating machines that will scatter copies of themselves outward from the sun--and report back on what they find. Life on Earth is about to get much, much stranger.
That sounds interesting, but are you sure about the hundred million years per day? At that point death of the sun wouldn't be 40 years away, rather it would be somewhere between 45-70 days away (and in practice, most astronomers currently think that the Sun will become too hot to sustain complex life on Earth in about a billion years... or 10 days.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #53
blt50203
Rogue Bookseller
blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad, iPhone, B&N nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Don't forget The Road, by McCarthy. Not exactly SF but definitely post apocalyptic.
Such a good book! But don't look to it as a pick me up story -
blt50203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #54
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
I forget where I saw the recommendation but at some point I saw Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky... I got 30% through and stopped.. but some of you may like it.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #55
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I recommend The Death Of Grass (aka No Blade Of Grass) by John Christopher. It's a novel from 1956. An oldie but a goodie.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #56
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DArenson View Post
I recommend The Death Of Grass (aka No Blade Of Grass) by John Christopher. It's a novel from 1956. An oldie but a goodie.
Ah, yes. I've read that one. I liked it.

Jeff
jethro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #57
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan
If you like William Gibson's Cyberpunk, you might like this.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 AM   #58
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
I don't think anyone's mentioned I Am Legend yet. (And if someone has, sorry!)
I've been wanting to read Earth Abides for awhile now - so thanks for the reminder! I'll download that tonight.
I Am Legend is a very good book. The film has nothing on Matheson's novel.

I noticed someone had mentioned The Stand. I am an apocalyptic fiction and King fan, The Shining is probably in my top 3 favourite books I've read, but am intrigued by peoples comments on The Stand.

I get a little put off sometimes with books that's over 800+ or so pages long!
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #59
paganpete
paganpete began at the beginning.

Device: Binatone Readme Daily
'The quiet place' by Richard Maynard I enjoyed, read it two or three times - if you can get a version that is!
paganpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #60
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
I recommend "The Peace War" and "Marooned in Realtime", both by Vernor Vinge for a different look at post-apocalyptic. The first one should probably be read first, as some details carry over, but Marooned in Realtime was my first exposure to the concept of the the technology singularity.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote