Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:24 AM   #181
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Now that I have the quick preferences icon in the toolbar it would be nice to be able to remove the default preferences icon.

I guess we can't have it all.
Oh yeah - just noticed the big warning dialog that pops up. I guess that is Calibre self protection
Old 01-02-2011, 04:25 AM   #182
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
This plugin provides a way to quickly switch
Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I was planning to do something like this for a long time. Out of desperation ;-)

I have done some limited hacking in Python, but it is way too little experience to be comfortable with such a large project. I was a project manager for an interesting project a few years ago, and I thought that this would be a good opportunity to do some coding in Python. So I selected Python as a language of choice for Linux server part and for Windows client. Choosing Python was a great thing. The only problem was, that the upper management saw to that that I would ONLY do project management, and coding was left to my more fortunate coworkers ...
I do some maintenance work, because none of those who did the coding are with the company any more, and I thank my $DEITY for inspiration to choose Python every time I have to change something.

Quote:
Many users like myself prefer to rename files to a single standard format before importing into Calibre. However this plugin gives you the option to quickly "switch on the fly" your settings without the drudgery of the Preferences dialog (and saving your regular expressions in Notepad!).
I too prefer Regular Expressions based file renaming utility (Krename accessed from Krusader menu) do lots of work before importing files in Calibre, yet, I still find myself clicking into Book Import Preferences dialog way too often.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #183
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
thanks that helped! Now I can look at a web site and see how the code is built, I changed below to look at all books not just the ebooks.

Quote:
You can take a look at this post in this thread - iandix posted his configuration (and icons) for B&N, GoodReads & ISBN.

As that was posted with an older version of this plugin that did not have the encoding or keyboard shortcut parameters you would want to add those columns in. So it would look like this if you added his items exactly with the icon:
Code:
stip_search_internet_menus = [
    ('FantasticFiction for Author', 'stip_fantastic_fiction.png', 'http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/search/?searchfor=author&keywords={author}', 'utf-8', _('Alt+F')),
    ('FantasticFiction for Title', 'stip_fantastic_fiction.png', 'http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/search/?searchfor=book&keywords={title}', 'utf-8', None),
    (None, None, None, None, None),
    ('Barnes and Noble by Author',    'stip_bn.png', 'http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&WRD={author}&box={author}&pos=-1&ugrp=1', 'utf-8', None),
    ('Barnes and Noble by Title',    'stip_bn.png', 'http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&WRD={title}+by+{author}', 'utf-8', None),
    ('Barnes and Noble by isbn',    'stip_bn.png', 'http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?EAN={isbn}&page=index&prod=univ&choice=allproducts&query={isbn}&flag=False&ugrp=1', 'utf-8', None),
    ('Amazon.com for Book', 'stip_amazon.png', 'http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords={author}+{title}', 'latin-1', _('Alt+Z')),
    ('Google.com for Book', 'stip_google.png', 'http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&q={author}+"{title}"', 'utf-8', None),
    ('Google images for Book', 'stip_google.png', 'http://www.google.com/images?q={author}+{title}', 'utf-8', _('Alt+I')),
    ('Wikipedia for Author', 'stip_wikipedia.png', 'http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search={author}', 'utf-8', _('Alt+W'))]
Take the attached image below, and save it on your PC. Follow the instructions within the readme.txt in the plugin zip file for exactly where to place it. They are also printed in the Calibre help manual.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #184
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
thanks that helped! Now I can look at a web site and see how the code is built, I changed below to look at all books not just the ebooks.
Excellent, glad you got it working. I haven't tried the links myself as I don't use B&N but if I did then like you I would scope the search to books and not just ebooks. It depends on the source of your books of course though - if you only had ebooks purchased from B&N then an ebook scope would make perfect sense
Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #185
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Quote:
Excellent, glad you got it working. I haven't tried the links myself as I don't use B&N but if I did then like you I would scope the search to books and not just ebooks. It depends on the source of your books of course though - if you only had ebooks purchased from B&N then an ebook scope would make perfect sense
It really helped, I am playing with a link to the New York Times Book Review site, playing with the code to get exactly what I want.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #186
redynstruc
redynstruc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Making the "Open with" plugin work on a Mac

First, let me say, "Thank you" for writing the "Open With" plugin. I am trying to use the advantages of calibre to overcome the disadvantages of the Kindle Reader for my Mac (which, I wouldn't even need if it weren't for the drm issue) and I believe "Open With" will help me to do that.

I have tried to customize the script to work on my Mac and I fear that the fact that I am a long time user of MS-DOS/Windows (I only switched to a Mac a few months ago) is contributing to my befouling the code. Here is the latest version of what I have tried so far:

from PyQt4.Qt import Qt
ofep_open_with_menus = [('Kindle', 'AZW', 'MacintoshHD\/Applications\/Kindle.app', None, None, None)]

I tried removing the "escape" backslashes, but to no avail. The good thing is that when I right-click, the "Open With" submenu appears and the default "Sigil" option presents itself. Now, if I could just get it to show "Kindle" (and then, of course, open the book with my Kindle desktop reader), I would be set.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by redynstruc; 01-02-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #187
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by redynstruc View Post
First, let me say, "Thank you" for writing the "Open With" plugin. I am trying to use the advantages of calibre to overcome the disadvantages of the Kindle Reader for my Mac (which, I wouldn't even need if it weren't for the drm issue) and I believe "Open With" will help me to do that.

I have tried to customize the script to work on my Mac and I fear that the fact that I am a long time user of MS-DOS/Windows (I only switched to a Mac a few months ago) is contributing to my befouling the code. Here is the latest version of what I have tried so far:

from PyQt4.Qt import Qt
ofep_open_with_menus = [('Kindle', 'AZW', 'MacintoshHD\/Applications\/Kindle.app', None, None, None)]

I tried removing the "escape" backslashes, but to no avail. The good thing is that when I right-click, the "Open With" submenu appears and the default "Sigil" option presents itself. Now, if I could just get it to show "Kindle" (and then, of course, open the book with my Kindle desktop reader), I would be set.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
You are an incorrect name of the tweak - where did you get that from? The correct name of the tweak is owp_open_with_menus (owp for open with plugin - a prefix I use to ensure no naming collisions with any functionality added to Calibre)

[EDIT: I just realised that while the post has the correct tweak name, my manual editing of the readme.txt file was rubbish and no doubt what you copied from. Sorry for the inconvenience, new zip will be pushed to the post]

You will need to restart Calibre to get the new menu displayed of course. I may do another version of the plugin in future so it does not require a restart, I've got the whole dynamic menu in Qt thing figured out now with the last plugin I did.

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-03-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #188
helene78
helene78 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook Opus
Quote:
This plugin allows direct editing of ePub files in an external editor such as Sigil via a right-click menu.
[*]I have not tested this plugin on anything other than Windows. If someone running Calibre can feedback success or failure on other platforms it would be appreciated by others I am sure.[*]After editing the ePub, regardless of whether you make changes no information is updated in the Calibre database (such as the CRC for this file). I'm not aware of any downside to doing this and it is fairly common for users to directly edit formats of files. [/LIST]Installation Steps:
  1. Follow installation steps as per first post in this thread
  2. Add a custom tweak value in Preferences->Tweaks reflecting the path to your editor such as Sigil. In the snippet below (Windows 7 64-bit) my path is as follows:
    Code:
    # Specify path to your ePub editor for 'Open ePub in Editor' plugin
    epub_editor_path = 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Sigil\\Sigil.exe'
  3. Restart Calibre and add the command to your context menu or toolbar as appropriate.
Feedback/suggestions welcomed. For instance this could be enhanced with a keyboard shortcut and icon if people want it.
Well, I'm on a Mac OSX, and I don't know HOW to specify the path to Sigil (not used to that kind of "direct" coding - more used to GUI choosing menu).
Could you tell me how to do it.... my attempts all lead to "OSError:[Errno 2] No such file or directory"

Thank you...
Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #189
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by helene78 View Post
Well, I'm on a Mac OSX, and I don't know HOW to specify the path to Sigil (not used to that kind of "direct" coding - more used to GUI choosing menu).
Could you tell me how to do it.... my attempts all lead to "OSError:[Errno 2] No such file or directory"

Thank you...
I'm not a Mac user sorry so I have no idea. Hopefully someone else who can help! My guess would be something like '/Applications/Sigil.app' but that is stabbing in the dark.

One other point - did you consider using the "Open with" plugin instead? Not that it will solve this problem (you still need to configure a path for it too!) but it has a lot more features like a keyboard shortcut which you may find useful. You can find it here.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #190
kiwidude

Search the Internet plugin search URLs

All,

I am in the process of creating a new version of the "Search the Internet" plugin. Oh god, not again you may say. Well this one removes the dependency on using the Tweaks dialog, so you will be able to make changes via a (hopefully slightly more user friendly) configuration dialog within Preferences->Plugins. Also it will mean that you won't have to restart Calibre every time you make a change to your menu items.

In addition I am going to introduce the concept of an "Active" checkbox next to each menu item in the configuration dialog. My intent is that I will include a big long list of possible website menu items with icons etc already "pre-configured" in the plugin zip file. So all you have to do as a user is go into the configuration dialog and click the checkbox next to the ones you actually want to use in your menu, rather than reinventing the wheel if it wasn't one I personally included. You will still be able to add your own to this list if needed.

Now to make this more useful to everybody I need a list of the website links people would want. Obviously I already have FantasticFiction, Google, Amazon and Wikipedia. Elsewhere on this thread is ISBN, B&N & GoodReads. Could those of you who have added their own search URLs please share them here so that I can add them to the plugin list? Copying the lines from your tweaks file would be ideal, and including the icon as an attachment if you have one is great if you have it.

Thanks for your help - the more websites the better for all. As this next plugin version will not use the tweak at all any you have configured will be "lost" by default, so share them here to reduce your upgrade effort. Also if you have a website you would like to see but couldn't figure out the search syntax list that here too and I will see if I can include it.

Thanks...

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-03-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #191
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
In addition I am going to introduce the concept of an "Active" checkbox next to each menu item in the configuration dialog. My intent is that I will include a big long list of possible website menu items with icons etc already "pre-configured" in the plugin zip file. So all you have to do as a user is go into the configuration dialog and click the checkbox next to the ones you actually want to use in your menu, rather than reinventing the wheel if it wasn't one I personally included. You will still be able to add your own to this list if needed.
This sounds great. In this restructuring will there be the ability to move menu items up or down the list?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #192
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This sounds great. In this restructuring will there be the ability to move menu items up or down the list?
You bet. There are buttons for Add, Delete, Move Up, Move Down, you can edit cells directly in the grid and the checkboxes for setting which menu items are the active ones.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #193
Maggie-Me
Zealot

Quote:
You bet. There are buttons for Add, Delete, Move Up, Move Down, you can edit cells directly in the grid and the checkboxes for setting which menu items are the active ones.
Sony Bookstore
('Sony for Author',None,'http://ebookstore.sony.com/search?keyword={author}', 'utf-8',None),
('Sony for Title',None,'http://ebookstore.sony.com/search?keyword={author}+{title}', 'utf-8',None),
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #194
Maggie-Me
Zealot

Quote:
New York Times Book Review

('NYT Book Review',None,'http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch?query={author}+{title}&more=date_all',' utf-8',None),
Old 01-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #195
tlindgren
tlindgren began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
SearchTheInternet - LibraryThing, ISFDB, Amazon.co.uk

Quote:
Now to make this more useful to everybody I need a list of the website links people would want. Obviously I already have FantasticFiction, Google, Amazon and Wikipedia. Elsewhere on this thread is ISBN, B&N & GoodReads.
LibraryThing is what Calibre itself uses to find Series (and tags/ratings) and given that many books are in several different series arrangement and Calibre just picks one (no idea HOW it select which one) it's not that uncommon to want to go there to get the real scope on how different books relate to each other in series and fix it manually. Their "author search" is useless but their new generic search is good for almost anything. Proposed rules:

('LibraryThing for Book', 'stip_librarything.bmp', 'http://www.librarything.com/search.php?search={title}+{author}', 'utf-8', _('Alt+L')),
('LibraryThing for Title', 'stip_librarything.bmp', 'http://www.librarything.com/search.php?search={title}', 'utf-8', None),
('LibraryThing for Author', 'stip_librarything.bmp', 'http://www.librarything.com/search.php?search={author}', 'utf-8', None),
('LibraryThing for ISBN', 'stip_librarything.bmp', 'http://www.librarything.com/search.php?search={isbn}', 'utf-8', None),

The Internet Speculative Fiction Database (ISFDB) is a very good source for information on anything related to Science Fiction and Fantasy. It has less data than LT and only covers a subset of books but the data quality is often better.

('isfdb for Book', 'stip_isfdb.ico', 'http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/edit/tp_search.cgi?TERM_1={title}&USE_1=title&OPERATOR_ 1=AND&TERM_2={author}&USE_2=author&OPERATOR_2=AND' , 'latin-1', None),
('isfdb for Title', 'stip_isfdb.ico', 'http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/se.cgi?type=Fiction+Titles&arg={title}', 'latin-1', None),
('isfdb for Author', 'stip_isfdb.ico', 'http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/se.cgi?type=Name&arg={author}', 'latin-1', None),

I would also suggest you add Amazon.co.uk and possibly other localized Amazon stores as options. Amazon.co.uk has different (and sometimes better) covers than Amazon.com and the exact same search path (except replace .com with .co.uk) works fine.

I know all these works in the current plugin, they're frequently used here especially Alt-L (LibraryThing title+author lookup).
Closed Thread