Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #16
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As @davidfor said, it is up to you. If it is really annoying to you, you might try using the CHKNTFS utility to exclude that volume from being autochecked. See CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For for more information. From a command prompt, running chkntfs.exe /x E: would exclude your E: drive from being autochecked (substitute the drive letter your ereader mounts as for E. Enter chkntfs.exe /? for it's help such as it is.

I would recommend this utility as being safer than the alternative of editing the registry.
Well, you got my hopes up for a while there, DNSB The linked article sounded plausible, easy to try ... but, alas, it didn't work for me.

I waited (not long) for my Forma to display the usual problem pop-up on connection. I deliberately didn't follow through with scan/fix. Then I ran chkntfs.exe, as Administrator, in a CMD window to stop autocheck on my Forma's assigned J: drive. Had a peek inside the Windows registry to make sure the advertised change had been made as described in the article. Then I reconnected the Forma ... still the problem pop-up.

Then I thought maybe I should have rebooted before it would work. Unfortunately this still had no effect. Forma still reporting problem. I eventually weakened and ran the scan/fix. I've left the registry tweak in place and I suppose it's feasible that the scan/fix pop-up will never appear again but I'm not hopeful.

Given the utility name, chkntfs.exe, I wonder if it's only designed to work for NTFS drives not FAT32 removable drives?

As an aside, a bit of circumstantial evidence for consideration ... Of all my Kobo devices the only ones which have ever had the scan/fix problem are the Forma and the ClaraHD. Coincidentially (???) these are also the only Kobo devices which 'remember' their manually-assigned drive letter after a firmware upgrade. OS issues are not my strong point but is it possible these two observations could be related?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Well, you got my hopes up for a while there, DNSB The linked article sounded plausible, easy to try ... but, alas, it didn't work for me.
Sorry about that. Did some checking and CHKNTFS will only work for NTFS drives. The last time I used it was quite a few years back around Windows 2000 SP1.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #18
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry about that. Did some checking and CHKNTFS will only work for NTFS drives. The last time I used it was quite a few years back around Windows 2000 SP1.
No need to be sorry, thanks for trying to help

This is one of those non-problems that never fails to irritate every time it happens. I keep thinking there must be a really simple workaround that no-one's posted yet.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #19
icallaci
Fanatic
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma and Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy Tab S2 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
As an aside, a bit of circumstantial evidence for consideration ... Of all my Kobo devices the only ones which have ever had the scan/fix problem are the Forma and the ClaraHD. Coincidentially (???) these are also the only Kobo devices which 'remember' their manually-assigned drive letter after a firmware upgrade. OS issues are not my strong point but is it possible these two observations could be related?
For me, the only Kobo device that ever had this problem was my Aura One Limited Edition. My Forma has never had a problem. It connects every time with no errors or scan/fix requests. (Win 8.1 OS)
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote