Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-25-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Looking for new airport novels

I've recently re-read The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth and I'm looking for similar books published in the last decade.

IMHO, there are a lot wannabe Forsyths and Ludlums out there, but I haven't found one that I really liked.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I don't that I've ever heard Day of the Jackal called an airport novel. There are a number of authors who write spy/assassin thrillers these days. Vince Flynn comes to mind, but Barry Eisler is another. Of course, Day of the Jackal was a classic of the genre, so it's kind of hard to come up with one that meets that standard, especially within the last 10 years. Forsyth wrote several others including Dogs of War and The Oddessa File. Tom Clancey was pretty close to Forsyth, but those were well over 10 years old.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Fatherland by Robert Harris is excellent. His other books are competent, but that's his magnum opus IMO.

Also War of the Rats by David L. Robbins is excellent.

Just noticed they're a bit older than 10 years. Oh, well.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
There are a number of authors who write spy/assassin thrillers these days. Vince Flynn comes to mind, but Barry Eisler is another.
I liked the original Vince Flynn books, but not the sequels written by Kyle Mills, who's a rather unimaginative author. IMHO, Eisler is OK, but not as good as Flynn. (I've also read most of the Gabriel Allon novels by Daniel Silva and most Clancy novels.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Tom Clancey was pretty close to Forsyth, but those were well over 10 years old.
That's my problem. Apparently nobody really writes good novels in this genre. Also Forsyth's last 2 novels read like they were written by ghostwriter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Fatherland by Robert Harris is excellent.
I liked Fatherland, but his more recent books, e.g., Conclave, didn't captivate me.

Quote:
Also War of the Rats by David L. Robbins is excellent.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I liked the original Vince Flynn books, but not the sequels written by Kyle Mills, who's a rather unimaginative author. IMHO, Eisler is OK, but not as good as Flynn. (I've also read most of the Gabriel Allon novels by Daniel Silva and most Clancy novels.)

That's my problem. Apparently nobody really writes good novels in this genre. Also Forsyth's last 2 novels read like they were written by ghostwriter.

I liked Fatherland, but his more recent books, e.g., Conclave, didn't captivate me.

No, your problem is like many readers, you have managed to out-read the writers.

Most genres go in cycles. It's whatever is popular at a given time. I don't keep that much up with the thriller genre. I'm more of a SF&F guy who reads occasional thrillers. The big international thriller craze seemed to peak back in the 90's and early 2000's. There are several that I read during that time that I really liked, James H Cobb's original novels for example. I guess the Jack Reacher series is the big thriller these days, though it's not my cup of tea. Patterson and Baldacci are two authors I hear mentioned a lot as well.

Last edited by pwalker8; 04-25-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Patterson used to write good novels. These days he makes a living by just putting his name on other people's books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Possibly Gregg Hurwitz's Orphan X novels? I haven't read these myself, but I enjoyed several of Hurwitz's standalones that are closer to the domestic suspense genre.

Also, Tom Rob Smith's Child 44 novels may be of interest. Again, not my thing, but I did read and enjoy his standalone The Farm.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
[...]
FWIW I have just read my first Vince Flynn novel (Transfer of Power), I thought it was quite bit pedestrian compared to Eisler's first Rain novel. I hope it gets better ;-) (Eisler does not.)

Tom Wood's Victor series is similar to Eisler. Jack Reacher works very well for me as a over-the-top but competently written entertainment. It is also a very reliable series, I have not yet (#19) hit the point, where the Author is earning to much money, valid input by the editor is ignored, and the books are just bloated money-machines.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Possibly Gregg Hurwitz's Orphan X novels?
I liked the first one, but each subsequent book got worse. (The last one is utter garbage.) IMHO, many of his standalone books are much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Also, Tom Rob Smith's Child 44 novels
IIRC, I started the fist one, but never finished it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post
FWIW I have just read my first Vince Flynn novel (Transfer of Power), I thought it was quite bit pedestrian compared to Eisler's first Rain novel. I hope it gets better ;-) (Eisler does not.)
IMHO, the quality of the books gets somewhat better.

Quote:
Tom Wood's Victor series is similar to Eisler.

Quote:
Jack Reacher works very well for me as a over-the-top but competently written entertainment.
The Jack Reacher books are definitely very well written, but too much over-the-top for my taste.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Tom Wood's Victor series is similar to Eisler. Jack Reacher works very well for me as a over-the-top but competently written entertainment. It is also a very reliable series, I have not yet (#19) hit the point, where the Author is earning to much money, valid input by the editor is ignored, and the books are just bloated money-machines.
I didn't discover Flynn until after he died, so I've been reading his books in chronological order rather than published order, thus I read American Assassin first, even though it was the 11th book actually published. Flynn definitely improves his craft quite a bit. I'm currently reading Transfer of Power and American Assassin is much better.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team by George Jonas (Author)

Again older than 10 years, but not that well-known. Really, really exciting book, and probably fact. The movie Munich was based on it.

Also Willi Heinrich, The Cross of Iron and The Crack of Doom. Very old, but not well-known, and amazingly written. In fact, the prose style is really something special, and that's in translation. I could read them just for the exposition, then people start shooting.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 04-30-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
A room full of night by Kenneth, T. R. I only have a few pages left. When you read the author bio you'll see that the author knows the topic.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Have you tried Arthur Hailey? He wrote some pretty good long novels including "Airport."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I liked Barry Eisner more than the OP. But I’ll add Mark Greaney and Stephen Hunter to several other good recommendations in this thread.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:15 AM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team by George Jonas
Sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

Quote:
Also Willi Heinrich, The Cross of Iron and The Crack of Doom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
A room full of night by Kenneth, T. R.
Thanks for the recommendations, but I'm not really into WWII stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Have you tried Arthur Hailey? He wrote some pretty good long novels including "Airport."
Thanks for recommendation. I might check out some of his lesser known novels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
But I’ll add Mark Greaney and Stephen Hunter to several other good recommendations in this thread.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check them out.