Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 01-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #16
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I just started a Wally Lamb novel: We Are Water, and each character has their own chapters and their own narrators, gender appropriate. I'm about 90 minutes it, and so far it is very well done.
I've been listening to a bunch of books that follow this pattern. I don't know if it's coincidence or if the alternating first-person chapters are a hot trend just now for writers. But when the book is written this way, it really makes sense to use multiple narrators.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I prefer if the main character is male that a male is reading, and vice versa. I don't care if a male reads with a female voice or the other way around, as long as it's done well.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #18
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I guess I haven't listened to enough books since I do not have an opinion either way. I know I like *good* readers; I've fortunately had only one that was a *terrible* reader, but up until then I thought that all readers were selected purposefully for each book.

I have not yet listened to any books with multiple narrators, but I expect that the change in readers would be more distracting than having only a single voice.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:53 PM   #19
moyogi2
ereader apprentice guru
moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T1, Sony 300 (so far)
I have listened to a couple of hundred audiobooks on my daily commute over the past few years. I don't really care if it is a female voice or a male voice, as long as they read it well, with differentiation so I can tell who is speaking. Luke Daniels is very good, Dick Hill is great for the Jack Reacher books. A good reader makes me forget about the narration and lets me immerse myself into the story. Bad narrators make me quit listening and return the book. A good example is Artie Johnson doing the new Carl Hiaasen book - just awful.
moyogi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #20
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
If I'm not mistaken the Song of Ice and Fire books alternate between male and female narration depending on the chapter's POV. It doesn't switch within the chapter itself though.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyogi2 View Post
I have listened to a couple of hundred audiobooks on my daily commute over the past few years. I don't really care if it is a female voice or a male voice, as long as they read it well, with differentiation so I can tell who is speaking.
Agreed. I've been listening to audio books since the mid-1980's with Books On Tape. I've had male readers and female readers. Most have been good, a few have been great, some have been acceptable, a few might have been good for a different book, but were a bad fit for the specific book/author, and a couple have been simply awful. There is no correlation between good and gender. That being said, I prefer a male narrator for a lead character who is male, and a female narrator for a lead character who is female. But far more important is the ability of the narrator to forget about acting and TELL ME A STORY.

Which probably explains why I could listen to Donada Peters/Nadia May/Wanda McCaddon read the London Directory. The same for David Case/Fredrick Davidson/Edward Raleigh.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #22
AdamJ
Enthusiast
AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
With me, I don't care male or female voice. Theirs voice just is good, this is enought.
AdamJ is offline   Reply With Quote