Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #16
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
This movie was awful. Am I really the only one who didn't like it?

Where were all the adults in the movie? Why were the ships run by a bunch of kids? Where were the defenses on Vulcan and earth? Couldn't a missile have cut the chain that the drill was hanging from? How did they transport onto the ship that was lightyears away? I understand that they had the equation to transport at warp speed, but that doesn't mean they can transport trillions of miles away. If that were possible they could just transport from planet to planet and wouldn't need the spaceships. Why was Kirk such a douche? Even as a little kid he was an asshole. Why did he want to wreck that car? Why was he driving a car from the 60s and listening to music from the 90s? I don't mind watching mindless action movies just for the sake of action, but this movie was so full of holes it was impossible to see past them.

They just kept it with its retro feeling with retro sci-fi concepts, impossible and incoherent physics, etc.

The bad guys were just bad for the sake of it: the mining ship was a huge one with menacing design, even the driller was all full os spikes just for the sake of it. I was always expecting a "mwah ah ah ah ah" laugh of evil, so that we had no doubts who the bad guys are.

[spoiler?]
Uhura was promoted because she was the only one in the ship who knew romulan language. But I wonder why, as all the romulans spoke perfect english. Whatever.

A red matter where a single drop created a self-containing black hole! Ridiculous! And Spock was transporting gallons of it in his little ship, I wonder why!

And in the end... That explosion to push them out of the black hole's gravitational grip... What a joke!
[/Spoiler]

And finally, why did they change the entire timeline of the series? This now has absolutely nothing to do with any previous movie or show. They would have been better off just creating an entirely different franchise.

This movie was all about action, which is not Star Trek's trademark. That's Star Wars.

Last edited by Over; 05-16-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You should have read the Wikipedia article first:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_trek_movie
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #18
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You should have read the Wikipedia article first:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_trek_movie
Read what, specifically?
Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Every shot I've seen of the movie makes me not want to see it, but there has been a fair amount of feedback suggesting otherwise from people whose opinions I trust... I'll still most likely wait for DVD, but I'm not dreading it as much as I was...

My list would go,

DS9 (Complete)
TOS/TNG (They tie for me)
Voyager (About 1/3rd were great, 1/3rd were OK, and 1/3rd I couldn't stand. The jealous Neelix was annoying in the Kes era, even though I liked her, and liked Neelix otherwise. In the 7 of 9 era she brought up the, "You wanted to instill personal choice in me" debate with the captain in half the episodes, some in reference to aliens, some in reference to her own decisions, it got old quick...)
Enterprise (Since I didn't care for the temporal cold war stories or Xindi I'll probably go with you that I prefered 1, 2 and 4 over season 3. Enterprise would still get on the bottom rung for me just for its song. )

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #20
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I guess I need to quit reading this thread before y'all completely ruin the movie for me.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #21
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Actually, Over, (I stopped in the first paragraph for fear of spoilers) you might want to edit your post for that reason. Use the spoiler tags for those lines. (The X'd out eye, or just type them manually)

This -IS- just a friendly request mind you...

-MJ

Last edited by mjh215; 05-16-2009 at 11:38 AM.
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
for me, its

pre Dominion DS9
Voyager Post 7 of 9
Ent Seasons 1, 2 and 4
Voy Pre 7 Of 9
TNG
Dominion DS9
Ent Season 3
TOS (I hate shatner)

Overall, if I cant split series, Voy, DS9, Ent, tng, Tos

7 of 9 didn't affect my opinion, I liked Kes Too. but I liked the interpersonal relation ships post seven, especially Belana and Tom
I used to like Voyager over DS9, but then I started watching it again. There are few episodes of Voyager that I can watch again without wincing (even my favorites). On the other hand, I recently watched DS9 all the way through.

One detail I missed when DS9 was first broadcast was that it was serial format, not episodic. Things changed from the beginning of a season to the end, and during the life of the series. This was not true for ST:NE, and only somewhat true for ST:V.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #23
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I liked many of the earlier Star Trek shows and movies. I am not a purist, so I can except the changes and tangents that took place in this movie. If you go into it purely for it's entertainment value and not as a comparison to anything that came before it, you should enjoy the movie. As I said before, I understood the changes that they made and thought they did a good job of setting it up for future movies so that trekkies wouldn't be too disappointed and so that they wouldn't be confined to the parameters previously set forth by the earlier shows. But, because I liked the old stuff, I had to look at the movie in a different way.

Over - I think they did explain (or implied an explanation) a few of the things you were complaining about (particularly young Kirk's angst) and the retro stuff was to give you the feeling that this is not a continuation of the newer Star Trek movies, but to take you back to the early days before the original series. I like it when they hint at something as opposed to slamming it in my face because they think I'm too stupid to figure it out for myself. The episodes with young Kirk were like that. They helped to make you understand why he liked to do things his own way and to think outside the box.

In the end, you just have to tell yourself that it's a movie. The science isn't going to be explainable because they are theatrical representations. Most of it is created by people who think with the creative side of their brain and not the scientific side.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Over - I think they did explain (or implied an explanation) a few of the things you were complaining about (particularly young Kirk's angst) and the retro stuff was to give you the feeling that this is not a continuation of the newer Star Trek movies, but to take you back to the early days before the original series. I like it when they hint at something as opposed to slamming it in my face because they think I'm too stupid to figure it out for myself. The episodes with young Kirk were like that. They helped to make you understand why he liked to do things his own way and to think outside the box.
Yes, I loved those bits. They give something extra to the movie if you know the Star Trek story but don't distract from the movie if you don't know it.

(remember when Chekov once said: "I was never that young." (I forgot in what movie) and now's he's 17!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #25
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I thought the actors who played Kirk and Spock, Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, nailed their parts perfectly. My prediction: more movies with the new crew, and stardom for both Pine and Quinto beyond their Star Trek roles.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #26
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
So, that car chase explained what? It just shown that Kirk was a jerk since the beggining, not the why and how. That scene is really non-sense. It just shows how ridiculously badass and awoesome Kirk is, while using his Nokia (ad-ware in the movie).

Quote:
In the end, you just have to tell yourself that it's a movie. The science isn't going to be explainable because they are theatrical representations. Most of it is created by people who think with the creative side of their brain and not the scientific side.
I know that, Kaz. There are many sci-fi movies which I could bash on the scientific side of things. But I don't, because I can enjoy a good overall movie without being too picky. But Star Trek has so many holes and the plot is so weak (and I'm not refering to the scientific part only), that I can't completely turn off my brain and just go with it.

I won't say the movie isn't entertaining enough, but really, I can't understand all those 5 star reviews and excitement with the movie.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:50 AM   #27
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR

I am just curious if somebody read this book - Star Drek by By Adam McCauley?
http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=...comic&id=28769
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 AM   #28
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
SPOILER ALERT!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE!!!!

That now said, I watched the film today and I loved it! I am a Trek fan since the original broadcasts (albeit I was 5-8 years old at the time) but this is a great continuation of the Star Trek franchise.

What I think Over, and even the esteemed kazbates is missing is that all the reactions, actions and over reactions of the young Kirk is different from what we might expect is.... NONE OF IT HAPPENED in the original incarnation of Star Trek history.

Kirk is different because his Father died in THIS changed timeline. In the original Star Trek universe Kirk's father lived. It was just in this film the main plot point is that Nero changed the past, thus making Kirk's life entirely different. He grew up in a completely different family environment. Thus the more rebellious and aimless nature of his youth.

Much of the movie and the "re-tooling" of this Star Trek universe depends upon understanding that it is NOT the Star Trek universe we knew. It all changed with the events Nero set in place.

I was really worried about drastic changes to the "cannon" of the ST universe, but this main plot point makes that irrelevant. I mean Heck! In this new ST reality Vulcan no longer exists! And the Vulcans are a race close to extinction.

I think this new "re-tooling" of the ST universe holds a lot of promise. One just has to accept that they killed the old ST (or rather Nero did) and we are now in an alternate ST universe.

Sorry for the rant. I am such an ST nerd.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #29
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
We saw it in an IMAX theater in Alexandria and liked it a lot.

BTW, if you want to see something hilarious, watch the original pilot for the Star Trek TV series. It was a disaster. All the characters were blond haired, blue eyed surfer dudes with about as much charisma as a doughnut.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #30
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
SPOILER ALERT!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE!!!!

That now said, I watched the film today and I loved it! I am a Trek fan since the original broadcasts (albeit I was 5-8 years old at the time) but this is a great continuation of the Star Trek franchise.

What I think Over, and even the esteemed kazbates is missing is that all the reactions, actions and over reactions of the young Kirk is different from what we might expect is.... NONE OF IT HAPPENED in the original incarnation of Star Trek history.

Kirk is different because his Father died in THIS changed timeline. In the original Star Trek universe Kirk's father lived. It was just in this film the main plot point is that Nero changed the past, thus making Kirk's life entirely different. He grew up in a completely different family environment. Thus the more rebellious and aimless nature of his youth.

Much of the movie and the "re-tooling" of this Star Trek universe depends upon understanding that it is NOT the Star Trek universe we knew. It all changed with the events Nero set in place.

I was really worried about drastic changes to the "cannon" of the ST universe, but this main plot point makes that irrelevant. I mean Heck! In this new ST reality Vulcan no longer exists! And the Vulcans are a race close to extinction.

I think this new "re-tooling" of the ST universe holds a lot of promise. One just has to accept that they killed the old ST (or rather Nero did) and we are now in an alternate ST universe.

Sorry for the rant. I am such an ST nerd.
I agree with you completely. Your comments about young Kirk were spot on and stated much better than I did. I also felt the phone call showed why Kirk was such an angry child that he would do something so extreme. In my post, I was trying to explain things without giving away any of the movie. His mother is not there, his father gave up his life for him (at least that's they way he would perceive the situation), living with someone who did not seem sympathetic (granted, that is based on the one phone conversation), etc. Children with that background could have a great deal of anger and not know how to deal with it without being destructive.

I also see a great deal of potential for the series to continue and am glad of it. I've missed Star Trek since Enterprise went off the air. Hopefully, this will revive the franchise and give us trekkies something for which to look forward!

Kaz

PS I'm also a big softy and found myself tearing up over Kirk's birth and the trials that befell Spock (who was always my favorite character).
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote