Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Kobo Book Files

This might be a bit of a silly question, but where do files downloaded from the Kobo e-book store download to on your computer? For example, books I've downloaded from the Amazon Kindle store go into a file called "My Kindle Content" but I can't find a Kobo equivalent. Is there one?
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
In Windows you will find them in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, forgot to mention that I am indeed on Windows! Turned out I had "hidden files" turned off so I couldn't find my AppData file. Cheers for that!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
missimpossible
Groupie

Sorry, I've got another question. What I wanted to do was add these books to Calibre, but I don't seem to be able to add this file type to Calibre. I've tried Googling about a bit but all the advice was directed at using Calibre to add books to the Kobo. Sorry to be a bother!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
The book files are are downloaded into your computer are encrypted so don''t bother to them.

To get the files into calibre, you have do the following steps:

1) Login to your kobo account through a browser
2) Install Adobe Digital Editions
3) Go to your library and download the epub link (some books may not have it)
4) Install Calibre and Alf
5) In Calibre, import the book from Adobe Digital Editions.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You might also find that Akf includes a tool not integrated with calibre that can handle the Kobo DRM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Your Kepub books as you found out can not be loaded into Calibre. Tlhey are loaded directly to you Kobo reader while attached to your computer and sync with Kobo desktop program or to Kobo reader connected to wifi and sync with Kobo.

Most but not all Kobo books can be downloaded as Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) then use Adobe Digital Editions program to load book onto your reader.

Calibre can not load ADE books to Kobo without same helper program used for Kindle books with DRM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
missimpossible
Groupie

Thank goodness for that! I'd never bothered loading any of my Kobo books into Calibre before but I'm trying to streamline my collection from all sources so I wanted everything available in one place. Cheers so much for all the help, managed to get all that working.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
The book files are are downloaded into your computer are encrypted so don''t bother to them.
Of course sometimes you have to if there is no download button on the library page. obok (via Alf) comes in handy for that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #10
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Of course sometimes you have to if there is no download button on the library page. obok (via Alf) comes in handy for that.
I made several attempts and it doesn't seem to work.

1) I got the one of the file from AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub

2) Rename it to epub.

3) Tried to import it into calibre.

4) When I open the book it is nothing about garbage.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

2) Rename it to epub.

That means the book uses Kobo's DRM. The post you quoted mentioned the name of the DRM tool you need to use.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

2) Rename it to epub.

obok works fine for me. It's not part of the Calibre plug-in though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:03 AM   #13
RZetlin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
obok works fine for me. It's not part of the Calibre plug-in though.
I tried out obok 2.01 doesn't seem to work for me.

I get the output file, but I still cannot open the file in calibre.

Update: Obok 2.01 seem to work this time when I redownload the py file.

It took too much fiddling around to get this to work properly.

Finally! I can enjoy my Kobo books properly!

Last edited by RZetlin; 06-06-2014 at 01:14 AM.