Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #16
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I have added links to the ZIP file, so you don't have to use BitTorrent.

What you downloaded already is only a few KB. You can delete it if you're not planning to get a torrent client. The ZIP files are over 200MB.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You sound like a professional narrator.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2017, 01:25 AM   #18
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You sound like a professional narrator.
Thank you! I'm grinning.-)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:03 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I would have to say 'no,' unless you have a voice like Richard York had before his illness.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #20
arjaybe
Wizard

I don't know if I have a voice like Richard York (whoever he is. wait, I'll look him up. okay, assuming it's not Richard of York, I found a storyteller with that name. stands to reason that's the one) but it's pretty good. People say I could use it professionally, but so far no one's sent a car to my house with a briefcase full of money. Until they do, I'll just have to content myself with these free offerings.-)

BTW, if anyone's interested, I put a post on my blog about this little exchange. I kept everything anonymous to respect your privacy, but you'll be able to see what it's meant to me. Thanks again for your help.
Advert
Old 11-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I don't know if I have a voice like Richard York (whoever he is. wait, I'll look him up. okay, assuming it's not Richard of York, I found a storyteller with that name. stands to reason that's the one) but it's pretty good. People say I could use it professionally, but so far no one's sent a car to my house with a briefcase full of money. Until they do, I'll just have to content myself with these free offerings.-)

BTW, if anyone's interested, I put a post on my blog about this little exchange. I kept everything anonymous to respect your privacy, but you'll be able to see what it's meant to me. Thanks again for your help.

Oops! I meant Michael York.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will say that the OP has a wonderful voice.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #23
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Oops! I meant Michael York.
Okay. Michael York, then. (searching ... okay, I recognize him.) Still don't know what he sounds like. Probably better than I, since he's always exercising his voice while mine rests idle for long periods. I find mine improves during the recording of each book.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #24
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
I will say that the OP has a wonderful voice.
Thank you again! Are you, like, with anybody right now?-)
Old 11-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay. Michael York, then. (searching ... okay, I recognize him.) Still don't know what he sounds like. Probably better than I, since he's always exercising his voice while mine rests idle for long periods. I find mine improves during the recording of each book.
He had a wonderful voice, but his disease has taken it away.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Thank you again! Are you, like, with anybody right now?-)
At this particular second no. Hubby will be home in about 2 hours.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #27
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
At this particular second no. Hubby will be home in about 2 hours.
Let's see. Texas? Sorry, too soon.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #28
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Thanks for providing a direct link to your audiobook. I've been trying to torrent the Green Comet since November 1st, but it doesn't have any seeders.
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #29
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
Thanks for providing a direct link to your audiobook. I've been trying to torrent the Green Comet since November 1st, but it doesn't have any seeders.
Thank you for that information. I checked and it seemed to be stalled, but it's seeding now. It's on the Internet Archive so it should be good, you'd think.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #30
arjaybe
Wizard

To further clarify why I don't provide Amazon file formats of my books on the Green Comet website: They're not open.

Just as I use Creative Commons to make my copyright more flexible, I believe in using free and open software, standards and formats wherever possible. All the software I use to create my stories, my website and the files I make available is Free Software. The formats the files come in - ODT, ePub and OGG - are free and open formats, with PDF being at least free to use. Amazon uses closed, proprietary formats to lock its users in and I'm not going to help them do that on my website. However, since so many people are locked in already, I do make it possible for them to go and get my books offsite. I even make it possible to do so without having to pay for it, hopefully subverting Amazon's control over them at least a little bit.

Maybe the result isn't as convenient as it could be, but sometimes freedom just isn't convenient.