Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
alroy
Enthusiast
alroy began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus/Pocket Pro/eSlick/Libre Pro
Reflow on the Pocket Pro

Reflow on the Pocket Pro sucks. Is there a way to turn it off?

Here's a sample paragraph from a book by Jack Higgins called "In the Hour Before Midnight"

"I might have known who the other two would be.
Piet Jaeger, the South African, one of the few survivors of our ol
d company in the Katanga campaign, and the Legrande, the ex O.A.
S. man Burke had"

The paragraph continues on the next page.

There's also the problem of a page only taken up 1/4 of the ereader with the paragraph continuing on the next page of the eReader. Also there are situations where a sentence in a paragraph has only one word in the line with the paragraph continuing on the next line.

I own a Cybook Opus. I have none of these formatting errors. They use percentages (like Adobe Reader does) to increase the size of print. They do not have reflow.

These are two things that will improve the reading of PDF Books (DRM or not) on the pocket pro. As it stands my reading of PDF ebooks will have to be done with the Cybook Opus.

Last edited by alroy; 05-14-2010 at 10:19 AM.
alroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have also seen poor behavior on reflow on some files. You can switch to xPDF as your reader. Bring up the book and then the menu will allow you to switch. This will turn off reflow but it will not make it like your Opus.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
alroy
Enthusiast

Ok I tried that....now I can't open any pdf(DRM) book. How can I get out of xPDF?
Old 05-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alroy View Post
Ok I tried that....now I can't open any pdf(DRM) book. How can I get out of xPDF?
Ah, open another PDF book such as the manual that is shipped with the product and switch back. I should have warned you that you can't use xpdf on DRM'd books. Sorry.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The best place to look for info on stripping Adobe DRM is Apprentice Alf's Blog, which has a post on "Adobe Adept".

Once your PDFs are DRM-free, xpdf is an alternative to mobile ADE on the Pocket Pro. In addition, you can try converting from PDF to ePub (say) using Calibre. This uses another implementation of reflow (for the entire PDF, rather than the one page at a time approach ADE uses) and it might do better.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
alroy
Enthusiast

I have tried converting pdf files to epub. Trouble is the bad formatting in a PDF book gets transfered over to the epub version. You also can't convert DRM PDF's of which I have a lot.