Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
melbone
melbone began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Replace my Kobo Wifi

Hi @all,

last years I used my kobo really rare, but due to my new position on the job I'm more into business trips per flight and want to use the time to read some mangas.
So I reused my Kobo wifi but noticed again why I stopped using it.
The Screen is a bit small and the contrast is a bit low for mangas.
Now I have read a while around the forum and think I have found 2 alternatives:

The Kobo Aura H2O and the kobo Aura One.
Im looking for used ones in Europe (Germany) and both costs nearly the same.

Which one would you recommend of these 2 or a completely different model?

* My top priority is the image quality (as far as possible for a e-ink display)

* Lighted Screen with Blue filter and a expansion slot would be nice addons.

* The Size of 150mmx210mm and weight of 240g should not be exceeded.

* I don't care about page load speed or standby-time.

Im looking forward to your input,

cheers,
Marco

P.S: sorry for my bad english^^
melbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Bigger screen is better for manga, so Aura One will be better if you want to choose one of these two.
You can also look at Kindle espessially Oasis2, there is a bit smaller screen (as on Kobo H2O) but a bit better software as well. Frontlight is without BlueFilter on Kindles though.
For comparison I found this table is helpful: https://www.the-ebook-reader.com/ebo...omparison.html

Last edited by hel; 06-21-2018 at 09:22 AM.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Since you mention Germany, you might also want to look at the Tolino epos. Having both an epos and an Aura One, the Aura One has better firmware and handles CBR/CBZ files natively -- I converted them to epub for testing on the epos using the Kindle Comic Converter.

Both have a 19.8 cm/7.8 inch eInk Carta screen. The Aura One is slightly smaller at 138.5 × 195.1 × 6.9 mm and 230 g while the epos is 140 × 209 × 8.2 mm and 260 g.

As for your English? A lot better than my command of any language other than English.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-21-2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: fat fingers cause typos -- 260 kg?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:49 AM   #4
melbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Since you mention Germany, you might also want to look at the Tolino epos. Having both an epos and an Aura One, the Aura One has better firmware and handles CBR/CBZ files natively -- I converted them to epub for testing on the epos using the Kindle Comic Converter.
Indeed, the Epos sounds nice; but the lack of cbz/cbr is a big negative point.
On my Kobo Wifi I lost a lot image quality with some mangas I have converted for tests. Could you confirm this, or is it just a problem of my kobo?

Im a bit sad, because I missed a Deal for the Aura One -> 160€ new(exhibition piece) with warranty
Old 06-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
I have 3 E-readers , mangas look too dark in all of them no matter what i do. There is always a large difference when i compare them with my tablet. ( books look better on my E-readers though)

For graphic novels and mangas you'd better read them on a tablet , that's what i do have maximum immersion .
I use a galaxy Tab S 10.5" personally, 8" - 10" screem size should be good for reading mangas as well but i wouldn't advice smaller than that.

Last edited by cmoim; 06-26-2018 at 10:18 AM.
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
melbone

Due to your advise cmoim, I have talked with my colleague.
He have a Nexus 7 (2013) which he doesn't use anymore.
So now I've got a 7" tablet with 323dpi for testing
Im really exited how it will be compared to my old kobo and i can get an Idea how the display size of the h2o will be.