Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Jimmy Kimmel Challenged People On The Street Name ANY Book & It Went Extremely Badly

https://www.bustle.com/p/jimmy-kimme...-badly-9129568
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I truly...don't have any words.
Advert
Old 05-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I wonder how many people he had to pass over, who said the Bible, until he got these folks.

I do find it hard to believe that anywhere near 76 percent of Americans have read a book in the past year, as claimed by respondents to the Pew survey. Am I too cynical?

P.S. However, I often would find it distressingly hard to remember the title of the last book I finished!

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 05-21-2018 at 10:13 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I wonder how many people he had to pass over, who said the Bible, until he got these folks.
I actually got into a very loud argument at the DMV because I told people to teach their kids to read and some guy told me to read the bible and I responded that I had read the bible by the time I was 5 and did he know that there are other books in the world and I started listing a few off.

There were a few people who were surprisingly hostile at the idea of reading but i told them to please continue as they were doing and help ensure my children keep that advantage.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
I actually got into a very loud argument at the DMV because I told people to teach their kids to read
Well, if a stranger at the DMV tried to tell me I should do something, no matter how well-intentioned, I probably wouldn't react well either. Though instead of arguing I would probably just nod & uh-huh until I could leave....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2018, 11:39 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Well, if a stranger at the DMV tried to tell me I should do something, no matter how well-intentioned, I probably wouldn't react well either. Though instead of arguing I would probably just nod & uh-huh until I could leave....
The last strangers I got into an argument over a book with was an elderly couple when I was on a Greyhound bus trip near the end of the 1970s. They felt I was wasting my time when I started another science fiction book and that my time would be better spent reading the word of God. The argument really started when I asked which version of the Bible was the word of God given the number of textual differences between the various translations. It didn't help when I quoted from the Book of Mormon, (2 Nepthi, 29 which I had to look up ): "A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible." though I must admit to having gotten that quote from a story I had recently read and not from the original source.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:04 AM   #7
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Now I'm glad I don't ride the bus or frequent the DMV. Seems like some pretty weird stuff goes on there.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:46 AM   #8
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
It was in the context of a larger group political discussion.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:52 AM   #9
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I really want to read Horse by Moby Dick.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:25 AM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
People must be far more friendly where you live than where I'm from. Here everyone sits in silence at the DMV because we're all so miserable having to deal with it and the waiting in lines, get shuffled into another line, wait, another line, test, another line, wait... we're all dying in misery so no one really feels like talking. I can't imagine any type of discussion coming up at our DMV between people waiting in lines or even those who got to the seats. Unless they came in with their own friend in tow for company.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:37 AM   #11
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
It seems like it was contrived for shock value. Shove a microphone in my face when I'm just walking down the street, minding my own business, and I'd forget my own children's names! I saw only two minutes' worth of footage when they were likely out there for hours. I get anxiety when put on the spot.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #12
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
People must be far more friendly where you live than where I'm from. Here everyone sits in silence at the DMV because we're all so miserable having to deal with it and the waiting in lines, get shuffled into another line, wait, another line, test, another line, wait... we're all dying in misery so no one really feels like talking. I can't imagine any type of discussion coming up at our DMV between people waiting in lines or even those who got to the seats. Unless they came in with their own friend in tow for company.
yup, pretty much the only kind of conversation I've ever had at the DMV or the tag/title office is general grumbling about the length of the line or the incompetence of the agency
Old 05-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My DMV used to be small and casual; there was never much of a wait and it was all pretty informal. Then they expanded it, set up a procedure where you're processed after one line to get your number and sit there waiting for your light to flash so someone else can process you and now it's interminable.

A case of "if you build it, they will come," clearly! Fortunately you can register your car at your local town office (or online through them) for a convenience fee and never was money better spent. Which limits one's visits to driver's license renewal time; oh, how I'm dreading my next renewal with the real id upgrade.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #15
4691mls
Wizard

I remember watching one of his person-on-the-street segments during the last presidential election season. He showed a bunch of people who had no idea who even the major candidates were. I figure Kimmel's staff must throw out a huge amount of interview footage in order to show only the most ignorant people. You'd have to have been living under a rock not to have heard anything about that election on the news, social media, etc.