Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle for PC 1.24

Amazon is pushing out an update to Kindle for PC version 1.24.0 (51021) to some customers. I received it yesterday. The download page still delivers the previous (1.23) version.

What's new:

Quote:
1. New study features: When you create notes, highlights, or bookmarks, these are automatically stored in the Notebook. The updated Notebook panel will now open automatically allowing you to view your notes, highlights, and bookmarks side-by-side with your book. You can also create Flashcards and export notes directly from the Notebook panel. To close the Notebook simply click the arrows on the left of the panel.

2. Improved navigation between the book and Notebook: Simply click on a highlight in the Notebook and you will automatically navigate to that location in the book (and vice-versa).

3. Bug fixes and usability enhancements.
It still seems to work fine with the "renderer-test" hack to disable KFX support and with the DeDRM tools.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-13-2018 at 09:41 AM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Thanks for the heads-up!
If they ever implement a way to view personal docs in the Kindle for PC/Mac app, I am going to update again
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle for PC lacks many features of the Kindle apps on other platforms. I assume that these are intentional omissions since they haven't been addressed over many releases. Some are:
  • Personal documents, synced online
  • Cloud collections, shared between devices
  • Magazines
  • Dictionaries for Indic language books
  • Arabic language books
  • Kindle in Motion books
  • Page Flip (multi-page grid view)

The iOS and Android/Fire apps seem to have the greatest feature support.

I suspect that most people install it only to gain easy access to their e-book data files.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm still on 1.17 or whatever it is...lol
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I use 1.16 ...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

This morning I received version 1.24.1 (51054) with the same "What's new" description as the 1.24 version I received last week.

(The regular K4PC download link is still delivering 1.23.1 so this is still apparently a pre-release.)
Old 06-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
I'm also using 1.17 and now finding I can't download new books to it. Is anyone else experiencing this? Are they trying to force the update?
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
I'm also using 1.17 and now finding I can't download new books to it. Is anyone else experiencing this? Are they trying to force the update?
What are the symptoms?
Do you get an error message?
Is it all books or only some? (Some books are not compatible with Kindle for PC.)

Amazon claims that versions back to 1.14 are still supported. I am curious to learn whether anyone else is experiencing a problem.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
pietro99
Connoisseur

Normally when I buy a book I send it to K for PC, and it syncs automatically. Now when I try to do that it tries to get me to update to the latest, which I cancel.

Then it opens and the sync symbol twirls but nothing is downloaded, and if I try to do it manually it still doesn't appear.

Now I am in the process of uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that will fix it.

I've tried it on 2 or 3 books, but previously I never had a problem getting the book.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I am using 1.17.1 and I just pulled a book on it and I have had no issues. Working same as it has been. I don't put books on there as I order them, just later for backup. So I pull them on the app from within. Don't think that should make a difference.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
pietro99
Connoisseur

Sometimes I really hate Amazon. No such thing as copy and paste for password. Trying to reinstall and the message is wrong password, even though I just logged into their website with the same one.

So now I can't even register it.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

I received another update today to version 1.24.2 (51060).

It looks like they are still trying out pre-release beta versions.