Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
There hasn't been a significant change since the Voyage released nearly four years ago.
I wonder why no love for the Voyage from Amazon? If I were to buy a Kindle, that is the model that most appeals to me.

I agree that e-reader technology hasn't advanced in a while, though for what they do not many advances are needed. But the Voyage could be upgraded with features. Waterproofing for one. Or color-changing frontlight. (Or both!)

I'm not in the market for a Kindle at any rate, but having a model between the Paperwhite and the Oasis does seem to make sense, though maybe it doesn't make sense to Amazon's bean counters.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I wonder why no love for the Voyage from Amazon? If I were to buy a Kindle, that is the model that most appeals to me.

I agree that e-reader technology hasn't advanced in a while, though for what they do not many advances are needed. But the Voyage could be upgraded with features. Waterproofing for one. Or color-changing frontlight. (Or both!)

I'm not in the market for a Kindle at any rate, but having a model between the Paperwhite and the Oasis does seem to make sense, though maybe it doesn't make sense to Amazon's bean counters.
Current Voyage model seems too expensive for what you get. Compared to the $120 Paperwhite 3 (and frequently on sale for $90-100), kinda hard to justify the Voyage for $80-100 more.

A (6" lightweight) water resistant model at $200 would certainly interest me, though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #18
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
There were rumors that a new Basic was likely to be introduced. This was based on the fact that it was suddenly not in the lineup. That was just temporary, however. They've made some super software updates on Basic 7 & 8 earlier this year (fonts, bolding & time), so can't see any point for a new one.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #19
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:

And, I gave my Voyage away. But, having choices is great.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Current Voyage model seems too expensive for what you get. Compared to the $120 Paperwhite 3 (and frequently on sale for $90-100), kinda hard to justify the Voyage for $80-100 more.

A (6" lightweight) water resistant model at $200 would certainly interest me, though.
All Kindles except the Oasis 2 seem to go on sale fairly regularly, so I think you'd have to be desperate (i.e., your Kindle just died) or nuts to pay list. Right now, the Voyage is $150 and that gets interesting, certainly interesting compared to the PW list price, less so compared to a sale price of $90 to $100. A further complicating factor is whether or not to liberate your Kindle from ads; not worth it for the cheaper models (IMO) where it's too big a percentage of the price, but you might choose not to be shilled on a premium device.

I'm not going to buy a Kindle, but if someone were going to give me one I'd like a Voyage at $150. I think they're sleek and lovely.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #21
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
The voyage is still my favorite Kindle. I hope they keep them in the lineup. If not I'll have to get a spare. $150 is a good deal !
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
...A further complicating factor is whether or not to liberate your Kindle from ads; not worth it for the cheaper models (IMO) where it's too big a percentage of the price, but you might choose not to be shilled on a premium device.
The ads on Kindles are tacky to me. Their similarly priced competitors can offer ad-free readers, but the largest and most successful doesn't mind screwing over their customers? It's part of the reason I've never bought a Kindle, though I buy my books from Amazon.

Ads on the Voyage and Oasis just amplify the tackiness.

Honestly, that tactic really puts me off of Amazon in general. I'll buy e-books from them, but I'd never buy their phone(remember that?), tablets, Echo devices or any other hardware they may launch.

I'm not saying everyone has to feel this way, but it is how I feel.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
The ads on Kindles are tacky to me. Their similarly priced competitors can offer ad-free readers, but the largest and most successful doesn't mind screwing over their customers?
It's not that Amazon can't offer ad-free readers as it manifestly does, but I find it rather duplicitous that it resorts to this strategem to keep the "list" price down. If Amazon used as their list price the ad-free price, but said, "Save an additional $15 on models with ads," I wouldn't have a beef. I wish those who reviewed such things would compare ad-free to ad-free prices on models instead of playing Amazon's game for them.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #24
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:

It's funny that I initially didn't like the Voyage, but it grew on me. Yeah it's pretty darned good. I would think an upgraded Voyage priced right could sell quite well.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #25
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All Kindles except the Oasis 2 seem to go on sale fairly regularly, so I think you'd have to be desperate (i.e., your Kindle just died) or nuts to pay list. Right now, the Voyage is $150 and that gets interesting, certainly interesting compared to the PW list price, less so compared to a sale price of $90 to $100. A further complicating factor is whether or not to liberate your Kindle from ads; not worth it for the cheaper models (IMO) where it's too big a percentage of the price, but you might choose not to be shilled on a premium device.

I'm not going to buy a Kindle, but if someone were going to give me one I'd like a Voyage at $150. I think they're sleek and lovely.
That's actually a good price for it but I believe that's only a fairly recent price drop otherwise, I probably would've bought one already. Iirc, even on sale, the Voyage was still $180 before.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
It's not that Amazon can't offer ad-free readers as it manifestly does, but I find it rather duplicitous that it resorts to this strategem to keep the "list" price down. If Amazon used as their list price the ad-free price, but said, "Save an additional $15 on models with ads," I wouldn't have a beef. I wish those who reviewed such things would compare ad-free to ad-free prices on models instead of playing Amazon's game for them.
I agree. But they aren't even cheaper. Using the three most comparable, standard 6" readers, the Paperwhite is $120 with ads, $140 without. The Glowlight 3 is $120, no ads to speak of. The Kobo Aura 2* is $120, no ads.

If Amazon regularly sold the Paperwhite for $100 with ads, or $120 without, that would be different. But they don't. So their reader with ads is the same price as the competition and they pretend that they are somehow saving the customer money.

*I used the Aura 2 because the Clara is brand new. I suspect in a few months, it will be $120 and the Aura 2 will be cheaper or gone.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
That's actually a good price for it but I believe that's only a fairly recent price drop otherwise, I probably would've bought one already. Iirc, even on sale, the Voyage was still $180 before.
It looks like they've got refurbished Voyages for $130 now. If my eyes could tolerate front-lit eInk screens I might be tempted to get one.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ref...%2Bvoyage&th=1

(I don't know for certain, but I've got a feeling this is the beginning of the end for Voyage line.)

Last edited by rcentros; 06-19-2018 at 03:09 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #28
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It looks like they've got refurbished Voyages for $130 now. If my eyes could tolerate front-lit eInk screens I might be tempted to get one.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ref...%2Bvoyage&th=1

(I don't know for certain, but I've got a feeling this is the beginning of the end for Voyage line.)
Saw that but it's too late. I'm out of discretionary funds for tech this year already (replaced 10-year old desktop that just died, bought PW3, 2x PW3 Manga, Glo HD and other miscellaneous items).
Old 06-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Saw that but it's too late. I'm out of discretionary funds for tech this year already (replaced 10-year old desktop that just died, bought PW3, 2x PW3 Manga, Glo HD and other miscellaneous items).
My "trick" is to buy "billions" of older, used Readers. Since they "only" cost about $20 each, I can pretend the cost (of a billion of them) is inconsequential. (I'm very gullible.) I just bought a Tolino Page for $17 plus s/h on eBay today. It's got the Carta 800x600 (167ppi) display instead of the Pearl display (no front light, infrared) so I'm hoping it's a little whiter than my other eReaders. I think everything else I have has a Pearl (or less) screen. I can also load my own fonts in it. What I can't do (obviously) is use the Tolino Cloud.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:15 AM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
My "trick" is to buy "billions" of older, used Readers. Since they "only" cost about $20 each, I can pretend the cost (of a billion of them) is inconsequential. (I'm very gullible.) I just bought a Tolino Page for $17 plus s/h on eBay today. It's got the Carta 800x600 (167ppi) display instead of the Pearl display (no front light, infrared) so I'm hoping it's a little whiter than my other eReaders. I think everything else I have has a Pearl (or less) screen. I can also load my own fonts in it. What I can't do (obviously) is use the Tolino Cloud.
Nah, it was the desktop that was the big expense. Besides, I'm not really an e-reader collector. It's just a bit hard finding a device that fits. A jailbroken PW3 manga is 80-90% there and the price was good, too ($90 from Woot).