Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I hope this improves book pricing in Canada. My Kindle has all but become a doorstop the last few months. I'll be tempted to switch over.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #17
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
15%? I get charged 5% gst and no provincial sales tax. Oops, I see Shopaholic already addressed the tax issue. I wasn't aware some provinces tax e-books, I guess Saskatchewan doesn't.
No worries. The federal tax is charged on everything. Generally, the provincial tax wasn't collected on books, paper or electronic, among other things but some provinces charge HST which combines the federal GST and the provincial PST just like Ontario now does. Boooooooooooo! You're lucky to only have to pay the federal tax and not both.

It was a big issue last year because people had to fork over an extra 8% on things that previously weren't provincially taxed but now would be because our 'lovely' premier went the harmonized tax route.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #18
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
If you are sick of the banner asking you to transfer and want to get rid of it, click on the link to learn more about transferring and at the bottom of the chart tick the box to not ask again and then choose 'Cancel and return'.

If you decide to switch later you'll be able to do so on the Country Settings page in Manage Your Kindle.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #19
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Hmmm I was afraid this was going to happen. My web site has Amazon.com affiliate links and, even though I don't make much money off that, taking the money as gift certificates has allowed me to feed my Kindle for nearly two years. The threshold for gift certificate payments is $10, while for cheque it's $100 - which can take months to attain. I had Amazon.ca links but I think I made something like $15 in nearly four years, so I recently removed those links. Oh well...
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #20
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Just got this while buying an eBook:

"Kindle book prices differ by country. The price for this Kindle book is different for your country and is displayed below. Please select Buy now with 1-Click to complete your purchase. You have not been charged."

The book was $2.99 more expensive. First time I ever got this. I wonder if it's related to the new store or what.
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #21
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I just switched over a few minutes ago. One of the books I'm waiting to buy is Michael Connelly's Angels Flight, it was available to me through Amazon.com but now it shows as "Price information not available", why would that be? Shouldn't I still be able to buy all the books from here that I was able to on Amazon.com?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I just switched over a few minutes ago. One of the books I'm waiting to buy is Michael Connelly's Angels Flight, it was available to me through Amazon.com but now it shows as "Price information not available", why would that be? Shouldn't I still be able to buy all the books from here that I was able to on Amazon.com?
If it says "price information not available" it usually means that you can't buy it from that store, and you have to use the one your account is linked to.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #23
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If it says "price information not available" it usually means that you can't buy it from that store, and you have to use the one your account is linked to.
But I'm in the site my account is linked to, which is Amazon.ca. All the rest of the Harry Bosch series are available to me.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #24
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
But I'm in the site my account is linked to, which is Amazon.ca. All the rest of the Harry Bosch series are available to me.
Try logging out, and see if it is there then without logging in.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
DuckieTigger
Wizard

I just looked at Harry Bosch Kindle book The Black Box and I see USD 12.74 on amazon.com, and CDN 14.99 on amazon.ca. But if I log into my US-account, I don't see the price in amazon.ca. So your account is still linked to the US, or doesn't know yet.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
flyingpostman
flyingpostman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Don't do it. Stay with the American store. Just a quick search and for example, Infinite Jest wasn't available in the Kindle Store. Another book I checked was more expensive. Also, the Canadian one doesn't have the same amount of reviews for each book (less reviews).
flyingpostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #27
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
http://www.amazon.ca/Angels-Flight-H...dp/B001GXF2YY/

This seems to be available at amazon.ca at $9.99 plus tax.

http://www.amazon.com/Angels-Flight-...dp/B001GXF2YY/

It's at amazon.com for Canadians for $10.31, tax included.

So, in this case, it's slightly cheaper to buy at .com, and the publisher is still Hachette's Little Brown. The Canadian division -- which sets the prices -- is taking a larger fee at .ca. Blame them, not Amazon.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #28
HolmesIV
HolmesIV began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Except as others have mentioned, you are likely to get GST/HST charged on the "cheaper" book at amazon.ca. Losing access to the "100 kindle books for $3.99" and the daily deal would be pretty frustrating, for me at least.

That said, I checked today's (14 December) daily deal, and 2 of the 4 (fiction, sf) aren't available for Canadians (even on .com), and the other two (rom, kids) are 50% or more higher.
HolmesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolmesIV View Post
Except as others have mentioned, you are likely to get GST/HST charged on the "cheaper" book at amazon.ca.
I don't understand why the displayed price doesn't simply include the tax in the first place, like it does with VAT for us in Europe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #30
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't understand why the displayed price doesn't simply include the tax in the first place, like it does with VAT for us in Europe.
I don't get it either. Sure took some time to adopt to all prices displayed w/o tax. The only things for me that are displayed correctly is food (no tax on food in Ohio), gasoline (the only thing that displays w/ tax included), and online shopping (no tax for out of state sites).