Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #286
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Also it would seem according to chaley that user_none plays some roll in screening store plugins before they are added to calibre.
He wrote and maintains the store plugin support code (not at all trivial) and in the past has acted as a gateway. To be honest, I don't know if he is still playing the screener role, but I expect that he does care about it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:25 AM   #287
ukrainian
ukrainian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi,
From some versions ago I've problem with download books from "Get Books". I'm from Bulgaria and use chitanka.info. Now when I download book direct from calibre it is broken. I must use this step to download correct book:
1. Search from chitanka.info in "Get Books"
2. Unchecked "Open in external browser" and choose "Go in store..."
3. In internal browser select book format and it is add to my calibre library.

Before I just double-click from book and it shows available formats for downloading.
ukrainian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:13 AM   #288
Gguguss
Gguguss began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Hi,
Dymocks.au is useful for APAC readers- a well established online bookstore & chain in that region.
Gguguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:15 AM   #289
Gguguss
Gguguss began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Sorry- dymocks.com.au of course!
Gguguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #290
qariwa55
Enthusiast
qariwa55 began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62D
GetBooks search behavior

I love using the GetBooks feature, but I have long had frustrations with it. Perhaps the answer to my query below is obvious, but I have not been able to figure it out myself.

When I type items in the search engine, I mean what I say. First, if I type "Bruce Mazlish" as the author, I want Bruce Mazlish. I do not mean every Bruce who is an author. I try putting the name in quotes ("Bruce Mazlish") but this does not make any difference. The search engine does not seem to support Boolean principles at least as a default.

Second, if I enter both author and title info, I want search output that meets ALL of my search conditions. But GetBooks does not seem to work that way either.

Invariably, the result is that I get in the output lots of items I did not think I was searching for.

Am I missing some setting? Can I get GetBooks to support Boolean searches?

Does anyone else find the default behavior of GetBooks annoying?

Thanks,
Daniel Wolk
qariwa55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #291
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by qariwa55 View Post
When I type items in the search engine, I mean what I say. First, if I type "Bruce Mazlish" as the author, I want Bruce Mazlish. I do not mean every Bruce who is an author. I try putting the name in quotes ("Bruce Mazlish") but this does not make any difference. The search engine does not seem to support Boolean principles at least as a default.

Second, if I enter both author and title info, I want search output that meets ALL of my search conditions. But GetBooks does not seem to work that way either.
Author includes all results that include any of the words in the author search field. Same goes for title. Keywords searches everything. This is by design.

That said, you can do specific searches for specific sets of words in specific fields using boolean logic. Click the binoculars icon next to the keywords field. This allows you do do advanced searches. Go to the second tab put "Bruce Mazlish" (without the quotes) into the author field. Keywords will show:

author:"Bruce Mazlish"

This will search for only matches where the author is exactly "Bruce Mazlish". It is smart enough to work even when there are multiple authors. As long as the one of the authors is exactly "Bruce Mazlish" it will match.

There are a lot of options which you can use the advanced search dialog to build. Once you get the hang of the syntax and fields you can type it directly into the keywords field. You don't have to use the dialog.

Now as to why the default is an any match search. "J. K. Rowling", "J. R. R. Tolkien" are why. When you do an exact match it must match exactly. Meaning "J. K. Rowling" won't match "JK Rowling" and it won't match "J K Rowling". Which means many results won't be included due to how the various stores handle author names. It's a situation where it's better to include a bit of cruft than it is not excluded valid (and wanted) results.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #292
qariwa55
Enthusiast

user_none,

Thanks so much for your detail reply. That really helps. I did what you suggested (an advanced search with the binocular icon), which generated the search [title:""New Science"" and author:""Bruce Mazlish""] in the keyword field. It worked MUCH better than in the original author and title fields. But still I got the following item in the output:

The Mind's New Science (eBook): A History of the Cognitive Revolution
by Howard E. Gardner

I don't understand how that happened.

Still, this search tool is very helpful, the best I have found for finding ebooks.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #293
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by qariwa55 View Post
Thanks so much for your detail reply. That really helps. I did what you suggested (an advanced search with the binocular icon), which generated the search [title:""New Science"" and author:""Bruce Mazlish""] in the keyword field.
If you followed user_none's advice the search field should have contained the following:

Code:
title:"=New Science" and author:"=Bruce Mazlish"
Note my search is different from yours because you added quotes in the Title and Author fields.

Try placing New Science in the Title field and Bruce Mazlish in the Author field and see if it makes a difference. Note per user_none's instructions I did not add any quotes to either field.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-25-2014 at 12:11 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #294
qariwa55
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
If you followed user_none's advice the search field should have contained the following:

Code:
title:"=New Science" and author:"=Bruce Mazlish"
Note my search is different from yours because you added quotes in the Title and Author fields.

Try placing New Science in the Title field and Bruce Mazlish in the Author field and see if it makes a difference. Note per user_none's instructions I did not add any quotes to either field.
Oops, you are right. My bad. Thanks to both of you.

Now I found the full instructions: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui....arch-interface

I don't know how I overlooked them before. Sorry.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #295
iboock
iboock began at the beginning.

Device: calibre, kindle, kobo, android tablet, ipad
Hi there,

I would like to add my site on the list as well - booxilla.com.
It would make it the first hebrew ebook store.
we have an opds feed so should make it easy.
All books have social DRM associated with them.
and all are epub3.

my email is
info @ booxilla.com

Cheers,
iboock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #296
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboock View Post
we have an opds feed so should make it easy.
OPDS feed is only half of it. You also need to support Open Search. Search is an optional OPDS feature but is necessary for GetBooks. Otherwise you just have a catalog which is fine for browsing but GetBooks is search not browse based.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #297
rracoon01
Connoisseur
rracoon01 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablets
Just discovered epubbooks.com. They have redone their website in the last year and it works great. In conjunction with that, they no longer accept pirated books. Best thing though is that they don't have any scanned books with all the clumsy OCR errrors. I have been able to replace a lot of poorly formatted classical books in my Calibre db with clean copies.

Hope this website is structured such that you can add it to Get Books.

Please and thanks.
a
rracoon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #298
AMColeman
AMColeman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Any decision on Project Gutenberg Australia?
AMColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #299
goetzibubu
goetzibubu began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I don't know who is working on Get Books at Beam Ebooks. But searching by title or author I cannot find the entries I can find on the site directly. There are some hits but not the books I am looking for.
That's a pity. This is the best site looking for German books without DRM!
goetzibubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #300
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by goetzibubu View Post
I don't know who is working on Get Books at Beam Ebooks. But searching by title or author I cannot find the entries I can find on the site directly. There are some hits but not the books I am looking for.
That's a pity. This is the best site looking for German books without DRM!
That person is me.

Can you give me some examples? My tests work fine (I ran them this morning), so I have no idea why it isn't working for you.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, plugin, store, theanarchistlibrary