Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Ereader software (again)

I've read through the Which ereader software for iOS and haven't found what I'm looking for - it may not exist. However, I just got a new Ipad and haven't used this OS in 35 years.
I’ve been very happy with Bookari on my Android tablets, but it is c*** on the Ipad.

I don’t want much, so maybe someone can point out an ereader that will fulfill the following:
1. Simple page turns that just turn the page – no flippy, eyewinking, slides or other odd stuff.
2. Change light by sliding my finger up and down one side of the tablet.
3 Change font size by sliding my finger up and down the other side of the tablet.
4. Ability to change the gestures so that I can tap on the right and left side of the tablet to go forward and swipe to go back.
That’s it, that’s all I care about. Seems like there should be a reader out there to do this?

Mapleread CX does all but 3 and 4. iBooks does none of these that I can tell. Bookari does none of these on the Ipad.

Any help would be most appreciated.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
iBooks actually does 4. Just need to change the preference (via main iOS Settings - iBooks).

Marvin 3/SxS does 1, 2 & 4 (although you may need change some settings). Caveat, it's not being developed anymore so don't expect to see bug fixes or newer resolutions supported (e.g. iPad Pro 11, Xs Max, Xr).

Marvin 3 is a free app with banner at the bottom. You can disable the banner for 24 hours for free. Once you've used up the trial, you can remove the banner permanently via in-app purchase.

Note: In-app purchases don't work with iTunes Family Sharing so if you want something shareable, there's the paid app Marvin SxS. Marvin 3 in-app unlock and the paid Marvin SxS app cost the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7B10D1BA-8CF8-42DE-BBE8-0EB407F34524.png
Views:	234
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	168124   Click image for larger version

Name:	AFD4981B-4F5A-4C49-8980-75D681FEDB26.png
Views:	216
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	168125  

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-02-2018 at 09:58 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, ilovejedd. Maybe someone knows of an ereader that does all 4?
Old 12-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
3 Change font size by sliding my finger up and down the other side of the tablet.
I kind of doubt an iPad could do this as those features are NOT built into the iOS. Android has, or at least used too have, the ability to change screen light level by doing the #2, but iOS has never had that. In any app on an iPad you can swipe down from the top-right of the screen and adjust the light level that way.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I kind of doubt an iPad could do this as those features are NOT built into the iOS. Android has, or at least used too have, the ability to change screen light level by doing the #2, but iOS has never had that. In any app on an iPad you can swipe down from the top-right of the screen and adjust the light level that way.
Iirc, Stanza for iOS has had #2 from day one. That was what, 2007-08?

On Stanza, it only affected in-app brightness. At some point, I think iOS API changed so it's possible for newer apps to actually adjust system brightness in-app.

I know of at least 3 relatively recent reading apps that have this specific feature: Marvin, Hyphen and MapleRead.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
lxpose
Connoisseur
lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
I don’t know about Mappleread CX but Mappleread SE can do 4
lxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxpose View Post
I don’t know about Mappleread CX but Mappleread SE can do 4
Thanks, I don't think CX does it. However, I'll check out SE, that would be great!

Actually I just tried with CX and it does do it - just have to access through the light bulb! So, it is only #3 that is missing and I can live with that.

So much appreciate everyone's help!

Last edited by peaceridge; 12-02-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #8
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
I've read through the Which ereader software for iOS and haven't found what I'm looking for - it may not exist. However, I just got a new Ipad and haven't used this OS in 35 years.
I’ve been very happy with Bookari on my Android tablets, but it is c*** on the Ipad.

I don’t want much, so maybe someone can point out an ereader that will fulfill the following:
1. Simple page turns that just turn the page – no flippy, eyewinking, slides or other odd stuff.
4. Ability to change the gestures so that I can tap on the right and left side of the tablet to go forward and swipe to go back.
That’s it, that’s all I care about. Seems like there should be a reader out there to do this?

Mapleread CX does all but 3 and 4. iBooks does none of these that I can tell. Bookari does none of these on the Ipad.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Quote:
Thanks, I don't think CX does it. However, I'll check out SE, that would be great!

Actually I just tried with CX and it does do it - just have to access through the light bulb! So, it is only #3 that is missing and I can live with that.

So much appreciate everyone's help!
IMHO, as for #3, MapleRead's pinch & spread is a more natural gesture to change font size on iOS. I recall that's also how Stanza used to work. Right?
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
IMHO, as for #3, MapleRead's pinch & spread is a more natural gesture to change font size on iOS. I recall that's also how Stanza used to work. Right?
Yep. Too bad Amazon killed it off. Stanza wasn't perfect but it got many things right from the get-go.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #10
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Once I learned my way around it, Marvin 3 has given me the closest reading experience to what I had with Moon reader on Android. So sad that it's not being developed anymore, does anyone know why? Have they switched to something new?
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
iOS has had apps with the finger slide to adjust lighting all the way back to Stanza. Marvin and FBReader both have that feature.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote