Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Customise Buttons

Is there anyway to customise the buttons on the 505?

I find that my thumb naturally rests on the page back button which would be great if I could use this to turn the pages rather than go backwards...

I'm not expecting this to be possible but thought I'd ask anyway!

Thanks in advance...
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

It is possible, if you look in the Dev area, especially at the PRS Customizer, it can give you some information on what to do. To the best of my knowledge (which is limited in this area) it is as easy as changing a number/hex number in one of the xml files.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Thanks, I'll have a look
Old 11-11-2008, 04:24 AM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Please note that PRSCustomizer does not work with the UK version of the PRS505.

This is because the UK version has a different version of the firmware.

However, I believe a fix for this is being worked on - so keep checking the dev forum.

You could use PRSCustomizer now but you would have to replace the UK firmware with the USA firmware. I'm not sure what impact this would have, but I believe for one that dates will then be displayed in USA format MM/DD/YYYY. There may be other unforeseen consequences - e.g., it may impact your ability to buy from the Waterstones store. In other words, you would be braver than me to try it.

Last edited by ShellShock; 11-11-2008 at 04:29 AM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:35 AM   #5
PieOPah
Addict

From what I could see anyway, there as nothing to swap buttons. I also didn't want to start messing with stuff that I didn't understand.

This isn't a big deal though, just a nice to have if possible...

Thanks for the heads up on the UK Version of firmware though

Last edited by PieOPah; 11-11-2008 at 04:46 AM.
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
From what I could see anyway, there as nothing to swap buttons. I also didn't want to start messing with stuff that I didn't understand.
It depends what you mean by the page back button. I believe with PRSCustomizer you can set the history buttons (on the bottom right 4-way control) to turn the page forward and back. This is the change I would dearly love, because that is where my right thumb lies when I am reading in bed.

Using the page turn buttons on the right edge makes my tendons sore. Using the page turn buttons on the bottom left is OK-ish, except the cover gets in the way.

Here's hoping...
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Is there anyway to customize the buttons on the 505?

I find that my thumb naturally rests on the page back button which would be great if I could use this to turn the pages rather than go backwards...

I'm not expecting this to be possible but thought I'd ask anyway!

Thanks in advance...
Once the flasher for the UK firmware is sorted, the right side page turn buttons can very easily be swapped in functionality.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote