Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Gissing, George: New Grub Street. v1. 9 Dec 2019

New Grub Street is a novel by George Gissing published in 1891, which is set in the literary and journalistic circles of 1880s London. The story deals with the literary world that Gissing himself had experienced. Its title refers to the London street, Grub Street, which in the 18th century became synonymous with hack literature; by Gissing's time, Grub Street itself no longer existed, though hack-writing certainly did. Its two central characters are a sharply contrasted pair of writers: Edwin Reardon, a novelist of some talent but limited commercial prospects, and a shy, cerebral man; and Jasper Milvain, a young journalist, hard-working and capable of generosity, but cynical and only semi-scrupulous about writing and its purpose in the modern (i.e. late Victorian) world. (Wikipedia)

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.png
Views:	258
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	175490

I used the version from the University of Adelaide for this edition. Quite a bit of formatting had to be fixed -- I hope I've caught all missing italics...

Accessibility: This publication conforms to WCAG 2.0 AA.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub gissing-new-grub-street-v1.epub (729.6 KB, 330 views)

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 12-09-2019 at 01:39 PM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:12 AM   #2
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Hey=== so glad to see you are making books again!

This is an author unknown to me, I am going to try him out.
Thanks.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I'm not sure where you're based, but a quick note from the UK. For some years, BBC Radio 4 have been running a series about a hack writer desperately trying to make ends meet in the current literary marketplace. I find it very funny - and it's called 'Ed Reardon's Week'.

I read New Grub Street abvout 30 years ago, and it took me ages to make the connection.

Thank you for making this: I look forward to reading it again.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm in Germany and haven't heard of that BBC4 series. Sounds intriguing. I'll try to find it. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

No luck on the BBC website for the series, but found this on Youtube:

Old 01-14-2020, 01:45 AM   #6
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Grub Street was late renamed Milton Street, and is now lined with huge glass offices.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote