Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
anoukaimee
Enthusiast
anoukaimee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Pixel 6 (Moon Reader/Calibre Companion), Amazon Fire 10
Exclamation cannot figure out, please help: bulk metadata swap numeric mo/yr in title w/ regex

I apologize in advance because I think this is a super simple question, but I've been searching for hours and, for the life of me, I cannot seem to figure it out.

I have many periodicals for which I'd like to standardize the date in the title. I already went through and "manually" changed the months from alpha to numeric (e.g., "Jan" to "01"). I now realize that I'd like to also have the year first, followed by the month.

So, for instance, I have a bunch of Gardeners' World Magazines, that are currently inputted as:

Gardeners' World Magazine, [MONTH] [4 DIGIT YEAR]
e.g., "Gardeners' World Magazine, 01 2011" (that is, Jan 2011)

I would like to format them as:

Gardeners' World Magazine, [4 DIGIT YEAR]/[MONTH]
e.g., "Gardeners' World Magazine, 2011/01"

BUT I can't figure d**n regex out (even though I find it totally fascinating), specifically how to replace a pattern. I figured out that "\d{2} \d{4}" expresses the date as it is now formatted, which is great, BUT I can't figure out how to transform it to the desired pattern. Please see pic for clarification.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre search replace metadata.PNG
Views:	146
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	174759  
anoukaimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
your search look good
it is your replace
you want to use the CAPTURED VALUE
(\d{2}) is the first capture
(\d{4}) is the second capture

Replace wants to USE those, just flipped

\2 /\1
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
anoukaimee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
your search look good
it is your replace
you want to use the CAPTURED VALUE

Replace wants to USE those, just flipped

\2 /\1
Thank you for your help! I guess it is the notion of "capturing" that is confusing for me. How do you indicate that a string is what needs to be modified, rather than just "identifying" it? is it the parens as you have it:
And if so, what is the syntax to show that those should be inverted?

I ask because I tried plugging in just

(d{2}) (d{4}) for search AND
(d{4}) (d{2}) for test

and it's not changing anything (in the "your test" field, at least).

Really appreciate your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	115
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	174760  
Old 11-06-2019, 11:41 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I showed you the PROPER replace for flipping
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:27 AM   #5
anoukaimee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I showed you the PROPER replace for flipping
Ok; I'm sorry, I still don't understand. I appreciate you want to help ppl who do their legwork, but I feel that I have. Sorry and thanks anyway.
Advert
Old 11-07-2019, 02:36 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes, the parentheses in the search expression denote capture groups, they're notionally numbered from left to right, and they are referenced in replace expressions with a '\' (sometimes known as backslash or slosh) and number i.e. \1, \2, \3 etc

So, put \2/\1 into the Replace with: box and you'll have yyyy/mm.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata editor, regex