Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your Covid vaccination status?
Iím fully vaccinated and itís been over two weeks. 18 21.95%
Iím fully vaccinated but itís been less than two weeks. 8 9.76%
Iíve had my first shot of two. 20 24.39%
My first shot is scheduled. 10 12.20%
Iím qualified, but I havenít been able to schedule a shot yet. 4 4.88%
Iíve not yet qualified or itís not available here. 16 19.51%
Iím still undecided. 3 3.66%
I wonít be getting it. 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #271
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad mini 5, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Yet another reason I'm glad our governor has stuck with the stricter regulations.
There is that for sure.

And there is also my lack of confidence in medical science. I'm in my sixties, and over the decades I’ve watched several relatives slowly and horribly die of cancer, including my mom and oldest brother and several aunts and uncles. In each case the doctors fed them with false hope, telling them they could easily beat the cancer, even when it was in stage 4. The sad truth is, the medical science just doesn't have a handle on many cancers yet, not even close. So they try the placebo psychology thing where they tell the patient all is well even though the doctors know it isn't.

I definitely believe in science, and we are certainly way farther advanced than we were a century ago, but we are still not as advanced as we need to be for treating cancer and other diseases, especially pandemics that pop up and rapidly take root. In the USA we have a terrible healthcare system compared to other 1st world countries. They do not fill me with confidence. I'm confident they are doing all they can to understand this pandemic, but my confidence level in their current state of knowledge is far from 100%. It might be safe for the fully vaccinated like myself to stop wearing masks in public, but until I feel completely confident that it is, I will err on the side of caution and keep wearing my mask, and I will avoid public places where masks are optional. I do this not for myself as much as for those who have not been vaccinated and/or have survived COVID-19. I care not whether they are anti-vaxers or simply can’t take the vaccines, I don't want to accidently spread it to them.

As I said, just because this study or that one says fully vaccinated people can’t spread COVID-19 doesn't mean that is true. It just means someone "thinks it is". Far too often we have read studies that say one thing, then a few years later read studies which proclaim the opposite. Currently, I'm simply not confident enough in these studies to fully trust them yet.

Last edited by OtinG; Yesterday at 10:51 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #272
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The problem isn't so much to do with you, a vaccinated person. The problem is, this is being done on an honor system. There are no vaccine passports. Nobody knows who is vaccinated and who isn't. People who choose not to get vaccinated can take their masks off and there is no way for anyone else to know who they are and avoid them.
And what is the proposed solution to this? Require everyone to carry vaccination documents and show them to any other person who challenges them?

Since the unvaccinated are only a threat to other unvaccinated people, it would seem easiest for all unvaccinated people who are concerned about the situation to do their best to protect themselves. This would mean: (1) avoiding other people, (2) wearing masks, and (3) getting vaccinated as soon as possible. Which are exactly the same recommendations that have been out there for months and months.

Note that there has been NO CHANGE to recommendations for unvaccinated people.

If your worry is that some unvaccinated person will pretend to be vaccinated, you can't hold a truly vaccinated person responsible for that. That's like saying your neighbor to the south has too many children so you're going to castrate your neighbor to the north who has none.

If you want to control the problem, it never works to bring your wrath down on those who are not part of the problem. Not only does this not work, but it irritates those that are not part of the problem, and then your situation will typically get even worse. Vaccine passports are a perfect example of this. You want to see the situation degrade, just try requiring those.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #273
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG
And there is also my lack of confidence in medical science.
It was these same people you do not trust who told you to wear the mask in the first place.
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM   #274
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I kind of wish we could have vaccine passports so I would know what I'm dealing with. However, I know this is not going to happen.

I've been thinking about comparison earlier in this thread between those who legitimately can't be vaccinated and those with food allergies. I don't think this is a fair comparison. Most people with food allergies are OK as long as they maintain control over what they eat. If they have a severe allergy, maybe they can't eat in restaurants or go to places where food is served. But most people with food allergies can (at least pre-pandemic) safely go out to work, stores, the bank, etc.

As long as Covid is a threat and unvaccinated people are going around without masks, people who can't be vaccinated for legitimate reasons or are immunocompromised will be at risk any time they go out to do any errands.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #275
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
As long as Covid is a threat and unvaccinated people are going around without masks, people who can't be vaccinated for legitimate reasons or are immunocompromised will be at risk any time they go out to do any errands.
This is true for many other diseases, not just covid.

What is your proposed solution?
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #276
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
I kind of wish we could have vaccine passports so I would know what I'm dealing with.
Would you be willing to get close enough to an unknown, unmasked person to check their passport? That seems counterproductive.
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #277
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Would you be willing to get close enough to an unknown, unmasked person to check their passport? That seems counterproductive.
Perhaps they should be required to walk around ringing a bell and shouting "Unclean"? Rent clothing optional.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #278
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I guess I was thinking more of businesses checking them at the door and requiring masks.

Obviously this is not going to happen.
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #279
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:

I don't see how you can compare Covid with other common diseases. Covid has been so highly contagious.
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #280
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
I don't see how you can compare Covid with other common diseases. Covid has been so highly contagious.
If you have a compromised immune system, EVERYTHING is highly contagious. Even things that do not affect the general population at all.
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM   #281
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My god. Looks like this thread has run its inevitable course as well.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #282
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
When shopping "normally" in a grocery store, or retail store such as Target, I've never been up close and breathing on strangers. It's been pretty well proven that covid doesn't transfer from casual contact with touch, on shopping carts etc.

If a person has a compromised immune system, or is going through chemo or treatment that lowers their immunity, their "care" onus is on them or their caregiver. My BIL is currently going through chemo/immunotherapy. He's not going out in public places. When my sister went through chemo before covid, she stayed out of crowded public places, like grocery stores. That's the way it's always been.

It's not right to expect the entire population to continue to wear masks, because there are folks around who can't have the vaccine. Those folks were more susceptible to some illnesses before covid.

Covid doesn't change that. It adds another layer of challenge for those people, but expecting continued masking, in states/countries that have done a good job of vaccinating those who wish to be vaccinated, is not a decent expectation. Especially when it's proven that it isn't medically necessary.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #283
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad mini 5, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My god. Looks like this thread has run its inevitable course as well.
Yes, I agree. @haertig appears to be off in his own delusional world and seems to have trouble interpreting/understanding what others here have written. At any he has gone off on a bizarre tangent…
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #284
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Bluetooth: Didn't really work for proximity logging, but it could work for this by getting phones to interrogate nearby phones for vaccination status - fully, partly, none, unknown.

I'm joking of course, but it's the sort of thing South Korea might introduce, they like hi-tech.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #285
mlewis78
Addict
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Yes, I agree. @haertig appears to be off in his own delusional world and seems to have trouble interpreting/understanding what others here have written. At any he has gone off on a bizarre tangentÖ
I agree. Haertig has been full of it on here.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote