Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2021, 06:24 AM   #1
fabrice91
fabrice91 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Paging issue

Hi,

Since few month, my book pagination has an issue : when I start the book on the first chapter with says 32 pages for example, I'm on page 1/32, then next page is also 1/32 then next is 2/32 then 2/32 then 3/32 etc...It doesn't follow the "natural" pagination 1/32 then 2/32 then 3/32 etc...
This issue is on my Kobo Aura Edition 2 and on the Kobo H2O of my wife.
I use Calibre to deal with my epub books.
I download epub file on Calibre then transfer it to the two Kobo without any filter or transformation.
So does anybody have a clue how to fix this issue ?
Thanx

Fabrice

Last edited by fabrice91; 05-01-2021 at 06:26 AM.
fabrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice91 View Post
Hi,

Since few month, my book pagination has an issue : when I start the book on the first chapter with says 32 pages for example, I'm on page 1/32, then next page is also 1/32 then next is 2/32 then 2/32 then 3/32 etc...It doesn't follow the "natural" pagination 1/32 then 2/32 then 3/32 etc...
I download epub file on Calibre then transfer it to the two Kobo without any filter or transformation.
Thanx

Fabrice
There is no "fix" for that issue when reading epubs. If you are reading epub books, the page number is calculated using Adobe's Synthetic Page numbering algorithm unless a page map/pagelist is implemented. I don't read many kepubs but at one time, kepubs used a page per screen page numbering but I believe that is no longer quite correct.

To quote from a message I wrote in 2015:

Quote:
Synthetic page names
  • When page map is not available in the document, Adobe Digital Editions will synthesize a page-map based on the document content. The approach used is the following:
  • Determine a compressed byte length of each resource which is referenced in the spine, subtracting any known encryption overhead (IV size).
  • Assume that there is a page for each 1024 bytes in each resource, rounding up to the nearest whole number of pages for each resource.
  • To map page breaks into a resource, use the number of pages for the resource as determined in step 2, count the number of Unicode characters in the resource; distribute synthetic page breaks in the resource evenly between the characters by dividing the number of characters by the number of pages; if the number of characters don’t divide evenly among the pages, round the number of characters per page up and let the last “page” contain less characters than the rest.
I don't pay that much attention to page numbers so this answer may be all wrong. YMMV or should that be YPCMV?

Last edited by DNSB; 05-01-2021 at 04:45 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice91 View Post
Hi,

The description from @DNSB sounds like what you are seeing and is expected for epubs. But, if this changed at some point, and you were previously seeing one page per screen, the it suggests you were reading kepubs. If you were reading books purchased and downloaded from Kobo to your device, then they were kepubs. Otherwise, you need to have been converting to kepub, using kepubify or using the KoboTouchExtended driver. The first two need you do do something, run the conversion or kepubify. For the driver, the transformation to kepub happens when you send the book to the device. If this is what you were using, it suggests the driver has been uninstalled or disabled. Reinstalling or enabling it should solve the problem for new books you send to the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #4
fabrice91

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
or using the KoboTouchExtended driver.
It's sound good for me, I remember I used this extension on Calibre then while an update I think this plugin disappeared. Maybe it's the solution, I should try to install it again, thanks for this hint...
Old 05-05-2021, 12:48 PM   #5
fabrice91

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
or using the KoboTouchExtended driver.
It works, thanx