Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #1
bllfrg777
bllfrg777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Issues with updating alibre in Linux

Hi! I have been using calibre for just a little while, and I just noticed today that it recommended an update. After running the update from the terminal following the website instructions, I could not get calibre to open from the menu tab on my desktop, so I hopped into the terminal to see what was up. Note: I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to using the Linux terminal.

Anyway, here is what is returned when I attempt to run calibre in terminal:

Code:
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted
After that happened, I checked online and found that running apt-get update followed by installing libxcb-xinerama0 might fix the problem, but that led to a new error message:

Code:
gzip: stdout: No space left on device
E: mkinitramfs failure find 141 cpio 141 gzip 1
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-122-generic with 1.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.15.0-122-generic (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu11.2) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-firmware
 initramfs-tools
 linux-image-4.15.0-122-generic
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
So I'm kind of stuck. Anybody have any idea what I should do next? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am running Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit. calibre worked great before I tried the install.
bllfrg777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You dont have space left on your hard disk. Free up some, then install xinerama then you will be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:01 PM   #3
bllfrg777

Thanks for the super quick response! I checked my hard drive space, and my PC is saying I have 33gb free...
Aha! My boot partition was full. I found this thread and followed the instructions there to get rid of old kernels lying around. Then I just typed calibre into the terminal and it fired right up! Thanks!
Old 11-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Linux gparted will let you resize the partitions. Easy to use GUI tool. Obviously a backup is a good idea, but I've not had any issues. I did have a few times with Partition Magic on Windows.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
+1 on GPARTED (I run it from a Live CD or USBstick)
Works on Windows partitions as well.

Another useful tool CLONZILLA IT will clone Dual Boot while Acronis and Maxblast, WDTools will not
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
bllfrg777

Thanks for the heads up! I was so zoomed in on my problem that I didn't even think about just using gparted. I actually have a live usb of PartedMagic sitting on my PC. I think I need to sleep more lol.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
+1 on GPARTED (I run it from a Live CD or USBstick)
Works on Windows partitions as well.
As long as you actually cleanly ejected or shut down the Windows machine! Once I put an HDD into a working XP box as a second drive to solve the dirty shut down issue.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre 5, error, failed updates, linux mint 18.2, tech support