Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #1351
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundium View Post
Thank you for the explanation. In my opinion, it would be elementary for a user to use the same UI as Calibre UI - the same approach as macOS etc. Different UI make it user-unfriendly.
Thank you for your support and fixing the issue.
Sorry, what elements of the dialog is a different UI? Or, can you point to where in the calibre UI this dialog is inconsistent with?

And for the record, using "Approve" or "Reject" in this place would be wrong. As the dialog can show multiple matches, you are accepting or rejecting the match. You are deciding on one and then going to the next book. Or skipping the book because there isn't an appropriate match.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #1352
soundium
soundium began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, what elements of the dialog is a different UI? Or, can you point to where in the calibre UI this dialog is inconsistent with?

And for the record, using "Approve" or "Reject" in this place would be wrong. As the dialog can show multiple matches, you are accepting or rejecting the match. You are deciding on one and then going to the next book. Or skipping the book because there isn't an appropriate match.
I made an example based on two books. See attached screenshot.

The first window could say -> Link to Goodreads complete

The UI logic is the same in Calibre if you download metadata. It could be more choices. In Calibre you see all choices immediately, so you do not need to switch - you can choose right there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 16.18.53.png
Views:	182
Size:	581.2 KB
ID:	178354  

Last edited by soundium; 04-13-2020 at 10:28 AM.
soundium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:40 AM   #1353
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I made an example based on two books. See attached screenshot.

The first window could say -> Link to Goodreads complete

The UI logic is the same in Calibre if you download metadata. It could be more choices. In Calibre you see all choices immediately, so you do not need to switch - you can choose right there.
Sorry, but that isn't the same. Read my last paragraph above. That was typed thinking about that exact dialog. And it isn't even consistent with what you were suggesting. In this case "Next" means what you had as "Approve".
Old 04-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #1354
soundium

Quote:
Sorry, but that isn't the same. Read my last paragraph above. That was typed thinking about that exact dialog. And it isn't even consistent with what you were suggesting. In this case "Next" means what you had as "Approve".
I am sorry, but it seems you have not checked my screenshot. From a logic point of view and UI calibre make it correct. Why do we need another bike if we have already one?

At the end of the day, it is just a suggestion that helps the user. If you think it is wrong or useless... let us focus only on fixing.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:40 PM   #1355
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
Hi sorry if I missed it in 91 pages of posts.

I mainly use the server option in Calibre now, not the desktop view. Is there a way to have the plugin sync to Goodreads when a book is marked as read? I use a custom column to track when if it has been read (Yes/No/Unmarked) and a second one with the date if that helps?

Thanks
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #1356
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am sorry, but it seems you have not checked my screenshot. From a logic point of view and UI calibre make it correct. Why do we need another bike if we have already one?

At the end of the day, it is just a suggestion that helps the user. If you think it is wrong or useless... let us focus only on fixing.
The problem is that I do not think that the methods used for downloading bulk metadata is suitable for use with linking the Goodreads book in this plugin. I do not think that doing an "accept all" is valid for this plugin. Based on my use, there are far to many cases were this would get the wrong book. And that includes when only one match is found.

For the individual book part, I do not think that the words used on the buttons are wrong. And I think that using the words that the bulk metadata download use would be wrong. The button "OK" is not perfect, but your suggestion of "Approve" is wrong. "Accept" might be correct, but, I don't really think it is much better than "OK". "Reject" is definitely wrong and I consider that "Skip" is a better description of the action.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:35 PM   #1357
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSBS View Post
Hi sorry if I missed it in 91 pages of posts.

I mainly use the server option in Calibre now, not the desktop view. Is there a way to have the plugin sync to Goodreads when a book is marked as read? I use a custom column to track when if it has been read (Yes/No/Unmarked) and a second one with the date if that helps?
To the best of my knowledge, the User interface plugins like this are not used when with the server. So, I don't think it is possible.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:18 AM   #1358
soundium

Quote:
The problem is that I do not think that the methods used for downloading bulk metadata is suitable for use with linking the Goodreads book in this plugin. I do not think that doing an "accept all" is valid for this plugin. Based on my use, there are far to many cases were this would get the wrong book. And that includes when only one match is found.

For the individual book part, I do not think that the words used on the buttons are wrong. And I think that using the words that the bulk metadata download use would be wrong. The button "OK" is not perfect, but your suggestion of "Approve" is wrong. "Accept" might be correct, but, I don't really think it is much better than "OK". "Reject" is definitely wrong and I consider that "Skip" is a better description of the action.
I see your point. However, if we speak about "Reject" we mean "I do not agree with the choice". "Skip" logic means "I do not want to talk about it now". Regarding "OK" and "Approve", it is up to you...have you seen "OK" stamp in some state departments?

Please understand me correctly; I do not want to teach you logic etc. (my specialization...PhD). I just wanted to help a bit. In the end, human adapts to almost everything.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #1359
gholliday87
gholliday87 began at the beginning.

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been asked & answered!

Recently downloaded this plug in. I've got a new Kindle (the new Oasis) and I've put my books on, and linked up to Goodreads. Now, I've got 90 books on my 'read' shelf, is there add a coloum that show's what shelf your book is on, and do you know of a way to automatically label the books on the device as read?
gholliday87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #1360
lxc579
lxc579 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; Kindle Paperwhite
Hi all! I'll start by apologizing if this has been answered previously.

I have quite a few hierarchical tags in Calibre. My Goodreads focuses on the main categories (e.g., GR shelf "Fantasy" would include Calibre tags "Fantasy" plus "Fantasy.paranormal", "Fantasy.mythology", "Fantasy.dark fantasy", etc.). I had hoped that I might be able to have the shelf identified as "Fantasy*" to include any shelves that begin with Fantasy, but that functionality does not appear to be available.

Rather than adding the main category to each book in addition to the subcategory (which would quickly multiple across all the different tag categories I use), I created a user column (#gr_tags) that automatically populates with just the main categories (based on the formula {tags:subitems(0,1)} and set up as the column type: "column built from other columns, behaves like tags"). This creates a separate column with just in the information I want sent to Goodreads. And even better, I don't have to manually update it (which would be incredibly tedious, particularly since my ebook collection is north of 25,000 books...)

However, this custom column is not showing up as one of the options within the plug-in under Synchronisable Custom Columns to pull tags from. Is there a way that I can use this column vs. the default "tags" column?

Thanks!
lxc579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:27 AM   #1361
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholliday87 View Post
Recently downloaded this plug in. I've got a new Kindle (the new Oasis) and I've put my books on, and linked up to Goodreads. Now, I've got 90 books on my 'read' shelf, is there add a coloum that show's what shelf your book is on, and do you know of a way to automatically label the books on the device as read?
That is part of the "Sync from shelf" or the "Download Tags from helves" functions. You configure what happens when you sync from a GR shelf to calibre. In the configuration, you define the tags to use, or the actions to take when syncing the shelves.

If you want to go from calibre to GR, then it is the "Add books to shelve" and "Upload tags to shelves" functions.

How to do this is outlined in the help.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #1362
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Hey there!

Any chance you might be able to fix the "view shelf" option so that all the shelves are visible and not just how many fit in the screen? There isn't an option to extend the view to include more shelves.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #1363
ildanoch
ildanoch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Ive had this problem a while. I believe through 2 updates of both calibre and plugin. When I send read books to goodreads everything works except date read. I didn't notice this for a while so not sure when it started. I'm stumped. I removed all my books from goodreads and tried uploading again and it's not working. Help please
ildanoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:47 PM   #1364
Penny_Dreadful
She/Her
Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.

Device: Kindle PW5 (G001PX) PW3 PW1
Are you "Adding to Shelf" or "Syncing"? What do your Rules look like for the shelf you're trying to add those books to?
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:13 PM   #1365
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ildanoch View Post
Ive had this problem a while. I believe through 2 updates of both calibre and plugin. When I send read books to goodreads everything works except date read. I didn't notice this for a while so not sure when it started. I'm stumped. I removed all my books from goodreads and tried uploading again and it's not working. Help please
Are you adding to the read shelf directly? Sometimes the read date doesn't get updated. I haven't worked out why. The only workaround is to add to the currently-reading shelf and then move it to the read shelf. From memory, that always works.

Tags
calibre, goodreads