Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Smile N2A question

Hi all - my first post in this forum. I received my NC from the US yesterday - had to buy it through my American brother as B&N don't sell outside the US no matter what I tried - although I CAN buy books using VPN - go figure. I am BEYOND excited about this thing!! I love it - got everything working, including movies, absolutely beautifully.

Now, of course, having browsed the pretty limited selection of B&N apps, I want to get a 32GB N2A card. Seems they are the same price everywhere, but any hints as to a better price or coupons would be welcome!

My main question is - if you want to upgrade what software is on the N2A (which presumably you can - I know nothing about Android) where do you go to get upgrades and stay current?

TIA
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
probbiethe1
probbiethe1 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
N2A cards is a great product and well worth the full price but if you scroll through there facebook page they have some coupon codes that you can use http://www.facebook.com/nook2android. I dont know if any of them still work but it is worth a shot.

They are currently running android 2.3 which runs awesome on the nook. You can find updates at there site www.n2acards.com
probbiethe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
paulak39
Connoisseur
paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IpadAir; IpadMini2; FireHDX8.9; Kindle Voyage
Hi: There is a second seller of this type of card for the Nook Color. Their price is somewhat lower, and the service is also good. Their site is androidfornook.com. I honestly have no personal or financial interest in either company, but think they both offer a good product. I once tried to make my own card, and was unsuccessful, and so I purchased a ready-made one from AFN. Paula
paulak39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Just to let you know, it doesn't take a lot of technical skill to make your own card. Then you can update, try new software, or format the card and install full Android to the NC itself without feeling like you wasted the $20-30 premium N2A charges above the cost of the card. Here is my "for dummies" version of the most popular method (the same method N2A used for their prototype): http://taosaur.blogspot.com/2011/09/...m-sd-nook.html
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just letting you know that other than running things that way, as taosaur showed, there is no way to force an update to the OS software. i only say this because it seemed like that may be what you wanted to do.
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I agree with Taosaur: It's not at all difficult to make your own card and save a couple of $$, and, maybe more important, time. (You can make it NOW, just go get an empty card and go!)
I made one (well, two actually, gave one away...) and if I can do it anyone can! I had very little knowledge about these things, just followed instructions!
Just saying...

Having said that, I think the ready-made N2A seem well worth their price as well.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I got the 16 GB n2a card last December. Extremely easy. At the time it was what I wanted to do, but now I look back and think, I should have just done it myself and not spent so much! But what's done is done....anyway the Nook Color android is great, it's for my kids. For myself, I prefer the Kindle Fire.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Thanks everyone - I ended up buying one for 30 something $ on ebay before returning to read replies. I did wonder about making my own, and assume that's what the ebay seller has done. (It's still a Sandisk card.) I've bookmarked Tao's blog for future reference and will point my brother at it - great info, thanks.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Another reason to learn to make one's own card is I have experienced instances where a misbehaving app corrupted the card's content in a way that triggers CM7 into spontaneous reboot during the boot up (thus preventing the Nook from ever completing the CM7 boot up) and the only practical course of action for repair is to burn another image.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
DroidUser
DroidUser began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I have tried rooting on my own and its not that difficult, but also not that easy. The main reason why I bought it from a seller is due to the customer support I get and the lack of technical skills involved. They are a lot cheaper than N2A. Check them out here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html...A3V6E6JTPOK9Y1
DroidUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I just made my own card yesterday for CM9. Took maybe 30 minutes, it is pretty straightforward once you download all the files.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am updating the n2a card. Thank goodness I found my order email, as you need your order number to d/l the update. Hopefully this will solve the problems I've been having lately.

Well now things are worse. Contacting n2a.

Last edited by booklover6; 06-25-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I'm happy to say n2a, after working with me quite a bit, and me trying everything, are sending me a replacement card. Excellent customer service!

update: new card arrived, and the updated version looks fantastic, and is working great, too.

Last edited by booklover6; 06-30-2012 at 06:36 PM.