Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #1
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

Device: a lot
故事主要描述當伐木

故事主要描述當伐木

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 05-04-2020 at 05:30 AM.
PenguinCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I know you want the editor to be enhanced, but meantime here's a couple of ideas you might want to try.

You might prefer using the Sigil editor, e.g. it displays #173; in the codeview window for shy etc. If you add Sigil to calibre's open with list for epubs (right click EPUB in book details) you can then give it a shortcut, I use Shift+S,

And/or: In this editor I have the special character set to thus:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-04-08 223327.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	746.4 KB
ID:	178175

The purple blobs draw my attention to the existence of a special character such as an en-dash, em-dash, shy etc.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As long as you're willing to forego using calibre's Beautify feature, and you don't opt to automatically correct the problems found by the "Check Book" feature, it has been my experience that calibre's editor will happily preserve all of the html entities that are present in any of my epubs' html files.

And in all fairness, there are similar features in Sigil that will cause all entities to be converted to characters, too. You have to manually add all entities you wish to preserve to Sigil's Preserve Entities list if you want to use all of its features AND keep specific entities as well.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

故事主要描述當伐木

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 05-04-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
PenguinCEO
Member Retired

故事主要描述當伐木

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 05-04-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Advert
Old 04-08-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid not. HTML entities make all sorts of processing much harder to do. That is why they are replaced by any automated task. As long as you dont perform any automated task they will be left alone. And most special characters are highlighted, so it is easy to see them and you can match them in searches using escapes
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinCEO View Post
You did not understand what I wrote in my post. I repeat:

"And I know even better that exists the option "Edit > preferences > editor settings > replace html entities as they are typed". That option refers to characters entered as html entities and not as special characters."

In any case, to demonstrate how wrong you are, I am attaching an example epub: open it with the calibre editor and read the only file it is made of in the code editor.

As you can see, characters entered as html entities remain visible as html entities; characters entered as special characters remain invisible.
Thanks. I think I understand you quite well, now. Goodbye.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Thank you for suggesting that there is another epub editing program. Unfortunately:

1) your answer has nothing to do with this thread nor with this section of the forum: the section is dedicated to the calibre editor and the thread is the request for extension of the calibre editor; there is a special section to talk about sigil, I suggest you go there to make your announcements;

2) sigil is a program written for windows. I, and many like me, use other operating systems;

3) Nonetheless, I had the bad idea of ​​taking a few half hours to compile sigil on my distribution: I can say that I have never seen a program written in a worse way, and in such an amateurish and approximate way. Since I do not have the vocation for suffering, I leave that program to those who have to make small changes without importance to their epubs and are not afraid of seeing them modified in a hidden and unreasonable way.

Next time, rather than saying unnecessary and unsolicited things, don't feel obligated to respond.
I see you learned nothing from the previous " attacks"

i hope this thread remains as an example of how NOT to respond to those who try to help. Perhaps you'd be more at home on 4 chan. you have the manners to blend in there

look ma, I found the big font button he used in #1

I know well that its really annoying, And I know even better that he used it anyway

Last edited by stumped; 04-08-2020 at 10:32 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
2) sigil is a program written for windows. I, and many like me, use other operating systems;
Sigil is available for macOS, Linux and Windows.

Quote:
In any case, to demonstrate how wrong you are, I am attaching an example epub: open it with the calibre editor and read the only file it is made of in the code editor.
You test epub is invalid and failed EPUBCheck.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
PenguinCEO
Member Retired

故事主要描述當伐木

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 05-05-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #11
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
Quote:
I ask for an improvement for the calibre editor, I hope not to be attacked again this time.
It is wise, in some military sense, to ask not to be attacked when one is prepared to attack others.

Let the record show that you have not made a compelling 'use case' for your proposal.

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 04-08-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
As the CEO of a major publisher, he could actually afford have his IT department customize his tools. (or would that cut down on his Bonus check )

But I am a bit confused??? When was the last time a CEO did any real work in the trenches?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
  • Members are not to moderate. Report a post and let it go.
  • When a post has been deleted, take note. Do not escalate a situation by reposting along similar or more incendiary lines.
  • Don’t assume you know what actions were taken and by whom.
  • Don’t discuss moderation in the open forum.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
And here I was happily using Sigil on Mac OSX and Linux.

Quote:
3) Nonetheless, I had the bad idea of ​​taking a few half hours to compile sigil on my distribution: I can say that I have never seen a program written in a worse way, and in such an amateurish and approximate way. Since I do not have the vocation for suffering, I leave that program to those who have to make small changes without importance to their epubs and are not afraid of seeing them modified in a hidden and unreasonable way.

Next time, rather than saying unnecessary and unsolicited things, don't feel obligated to respond.
One item to remember is that named entities are deprecated in epub3 and only 5 named entities are permitted (quot, amp, apos, gt and lt).

Last edited by DNSB; 04-08-2020 at 01:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Members are not to discuss the ignore function on the open forum.

Everyone move along now, ok?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote