Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #1
KamiGreen
KamiGreen began at the beginning.

Device: Inkpad 3
Too many "genres" on Inkpad 3

Hi all,

I have looked and looked for an answer to this problem, but am at a loss... hopefully someone can help me out.

I have a Pocketbook/Vivlio Inkpad 3 and am using Calibre to send ebooks to it. I am very particular about how books are sorted; I like my library to look the way I want it to look, and have therefore erased all the metadata of my books except author, title and series.

In spite of that, when I enter my Inkpad library and sort by "genres" I have a million different ones! Well, just about one different genre by book (see attachment), which completely defeats the purpose...

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I removed all tags from all books (which took me houuuurs), and I don't know where the Inkpad is getting the "genre" data. I would like to remove all that and sort my books into only 6-7 genres (as they should be...)

Any help is appreciated

Hope everyone is staying safe !

Kami
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1173z.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	713.3 KB
ID:	177958  
KamiGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:10 AM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
If you don't get any answers in the calibre forum, you can try the Pocketbook sub-forum, as they're the makers of the Inkpad. Just don't create this same question over there. Double posting isn't allowed.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=206
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2020, 06:54 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you sure the tags are gone form the actual epub files on the device? Open one up in the calibre edit book tool and chek in opf file for tags.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #4
KamiGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Are you sure the tags are gone form the actual epub files on the device? Open one up in the calibre edit book tool and chek in opf file for tags.
Yes I'm sure.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:35 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiGreen View Post
Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I removed all tags from all books (which took me houuuurs)
No help now, of course, but Bulk Metadata Edit has a 'Remove All' checkbox in 'Remove Tags'.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
KamiGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
No help now, of course, but Bulk Metadata Edit has a 'Remove All' checkbox in 'Remove Tags'.
Oh for goodness's sake. I actually looked for that... and it was so obvious and simple.. thanks, it's never too late
Old 03-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiGreen View Post
Yes I'm sure.
then youd have to askthe developers of the inkpad where they get their metadata from. All the calibre driver does is send over the files, there is no database on the device that it updates (apart from metadata.calibre which calibre uses internally).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
KamiGreen

Okay, will do. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #9
KamiGreen

Update for those who might have this issue in the future:
I have written to the Pocketbook support team and they said that Inkpad takes metadata directly from the book file.

For the sorting by genre: erasing all tags from all books does nothing. BUT if I add a tag of my own to my books, then this tag--and only this tag--will be incorporated into the inkpad library... so Calibre doesn't erase the tag fully, it just ignores them and then inkpad kind of does what it wants!

For titles and authors that appear different in the inkpad library and in Calibre: there is no solution to that, because the inkpad library does what it wants (again...)

Enjoy your reading!
Old 03-31-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
You need to polish the books before sending them to the Inkpad. That should take care of all the unwanted metadata and delete them permanently.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #11
KamiGreen

Oh thanks! That seems like exactly the solution I was looking for!

It worked for the tags, but oddly enough I still have a book that doesn't want to stick to its title. It's different in Calibre and Inkpad library, even after polishing...

Tags
genre, inkpad, pocketbook, vivlio