Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Apple released a new iPad Pro today

Apple released a new iPad Pro today.

Quote:
Your next computer is not a computer.
It’s a magical piece of glass.
It’s so fast most PC laptops can’t catch up.
It has pro cameras that can transform reality.
And you can use it with touch, pencil, keyboard, and now trackpad.
It’s the new iPad Pro.

iPad Pro available starting 3.25 ...... Magic Keyboard coming in May
11" from $799
12.9" from $999

Last edited by OtinG; 03-18-2020 at 02:15 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Hum, faster processor and better camera seems to be the big difference.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
More than the iPP, I am very interested in the new keyboard with trackpad. I am just happy it works with the 2018 iPad Pro’s, so I can get it for my 11” and don’t need to get a new iPad Pro as well.
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is now a wiki page for the iPad Pro 2020 model.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by azt33 View Post
More than the iPP, I am very interested in the new keyboard with trackpad. I am just happy it works with the 2018 iPad Pro’s, so I can get it for my 11” and don’t need to get a new iPad Pro as well.
Yea, I was eyeing that as well. I just bought an iPad Pro last November so I'm certainly not going to buy a new one. The 1TB storage is really nice. The camera looks nice, but I rarely use the camera on my iPad.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The camera looks nice, but I rarely use the camera on my iPad.
Same here...my current iPad Pro was purchased 13 months ago. I've never used the rear facing camera for anything other than just checking it out.

I get along fine without a keyboard, and rarely wish I had one.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:42 AM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agree that using the back camera on a tablet/iPad is very awkward. A front facing camera for people who Skype or network somehow with family and friends makes more sense, so maybe improve the front camera more than the rear one.

I think a $300 keyboard is ridiculous. It might be worth $100, and surely 3rd party ones will appear before long that are much less expensive and just as good, if not better.

A keyboard just isn’t a priority for my iPad. The iPad is good for types of things that don’t require a mouse and keyboard, but not much good for tasks that do. Even text editing is awkward on an iPad because it is difficult and time consuming trying to select text, cut, paste, etc. Text editing is so much better when done on a computer.

I personally think that trying to make a single device to replace a computer and a tablet is waste of time, at least for me. I’ve tried laptops with touchscreens and those fail miserably as tablet replacements. I’ve tried using tablets for extensive text editing, spreadsheet design, heavy duty image processing, etc., and they fail miserably at those tasks. It reminds me of my Leatherman tool. Those are nifty little devices for occasional use, but if something breaks down on the car or in the house I’m going to my toolbox and getting much better tools out to use. When it comes to daily computer and tablet tasks, at least for me, I prefer to have both devices and use each/all for the tasks they excel in. Trying to build one device to be all devices is just not working out.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I think Apple needs to look at bringing more affordable models of everything to the market. With the world economy likely heading into a recession, how many people around the world will still be able to pay a premium for Apple devices. Even the US economy is in trouble. Paying $800 and up for a an iPad won't be an option for that many people in the future, unless the economy makes a u-turn rather quickly. Apple should probably start developing more devices on the lower end to market. Their computers are even more difficult to afford and when will surely lose market share if money gets harder to retain and people have much less to spend.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The base iPad model starts at $329, my husband bought one a while back when it was on sale at Best Buy. It's a great model for the way he uses a tablet, and would most likely meet most user's needs.

I do 98% of my computing needs on my iPad Pro. I use the computer to run Quicken and to pay my bills via my bank, and some simple word processing and formatting documents for our Women's Ministry using a very old MS Office 2003, and for Calibre.

There are some sites, Blue Cross for example, that are difficult to access from any mobile device. And just yesterday I was unable to register/subscribe to our local paper using any browser on my iPad. Even Firefox on the computer wasn't successful, the Edge browser was the only one that worked.

I love Apple products, but spending $1,100 on a new phone right now just isn't going to happen.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Looks nice but the $300 pricing is

Thankfully, seems like there's relatively decent alternatives for lower end models (Logitech Combo Touch Keyboard Case with Trackpad, $149). The keyboard+trackpad is completely detachable so I could probably use the same one on multiple devices (maybe even on the Pro 9.7). Looks like the keyboard portion might work with my existing trifold portfolio case-stand, too.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #11
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I know, but at least it’s backwards compatible, so I don’t have to buy a new iPad Pro as well. But of course, it’s always great to have more options, so I am curious to see what the other manufacturers come out with. I just don’t want something that requires additional charging, I have enough things that I need to keep charged...
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #12
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Logitech generally has good alternatives available, and I think they have a $150 option for keyboard with trackpad.

But the issue I run into with iPad apps for office apps, image processing like Photoshop, etc. is that they were designed for a touch screen without mouse/trackpad support. Adding a mouse/trackpad does not solve the usability issues because they apps simply were not designed for them. All the office apps and workhorse image processing iPad apps are terrible for doing lots of work. I’m not talking about mom & pop doing their household budget. I’m talking about using these apps in a professional manner. Unless iPadOS improves in years to come, and app designers make the iPadOS apps function more like computer apps, there will be a lot of usability issues.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you take a look at the MacBook Air, you'll see that's it's rather easy to turn it into an iPad style tablet that can run OSX. That would be a big seller.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:53 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know, but at least it’s backwards compatible, so I don’t have to buy a new iPad Pro as well. But of course, it’s always great to have more options, so I am curious to see what the other manufacturers come out with. I just don’t want something that requires additional charging, I have enough things that I need to keep charged...
If I had a 2018 Pro, I'd probably consider getting the Magic Keyboard (painful as the price may be). That stand should be helpful for reducing neck pain.

Problem with keyboards that use the Smart Connector is there's a much smaller market compared to the one for bluetooth keyboards.

Mind, I've had good experience with AA/AAA battery powered Logitech multi-device keyboards.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Hum, faster processor and better camera seems to be the big difference.
Supposedly 6GB RAM across the board, too.