Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 11:49 PM   #1
wwemegan
wwemegan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Gen 1
Unhappy Request: Aura H2O SD card image

Hi everyone, I hope i'm posting this in the right place. I was redirected here from reddit by a nice user who is trying to help me fix my broken Kobo.

It is a Gen 1 and it is stuck on the sleep screen with the current books front cover showing. I tried everything, finally opened in and disconnected the battery. That ALSO did nothing. Removing the SD card did nothing. It's still stuck in the sleep screen.

I was told to take out the SD card and request a "Aura H2O SD card image" on these forums so I hope someone can help me out! I think i can probably muddle through how to flash the image on with some google help, and I know how to format it.

Thanks so much!

Megan
Old 07-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.

For instructions, see Memory Upgrade Mod Guide. They are for the Glo, but the basic steps and tools are the same.
Advert
Old 09-28-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
davidMol
davidMol began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent.

For instructions, see Memory Upgrade Mod Guide. They are for the Glo, but the basic steps and tools are the same.
Hello, I have the same problem here, same model Kobo aura H2O, could you send the image, please?

Thanks a lot.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
B1bliomania
B1bliomania began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (Gen 1)
Hello, could I request for AURA H2O (Gen1) SD card image?

I had a difficulty installing KoReader as the auto script didn't work, and ended up bricking the reader after multiple attempts. At this point, all it does is flickering the screen a bit in attempt to boot.
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@B1bliomania: I'd be very interested in much more details than this, since it'd take some *extreme* brokenness somewhere along the line for this to happen all on its own.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #7
B1bliomania

Oh hello there, autoscript maintainer

While it happened during the KoReader auto-installation, I'm not entirely sure it's KoReader's fault. I would, however, say that KoReader didn't install properly with the autoscript which led to retrying and rebooting the ebook reader several times - which resulted in bricking.

Please note that my OS is Linux Mint 19.2 and my Kobo Aura H2O had the latest firmware that can be downloaded through Sync function. I would also like to mention that I felt the stability went down with frequent auto-reset after the major firmware update that changed the loading dots from 4 square to 3 circles (sorry for not having better description).

I used the 'One-click install package' with the build that contains both KoReader and Plato. The installation itself went successful but the app icons were not listed in the Kobo menu and what seemed to be the app assets seemed to be scattered across the collection (I believe your thread had a posting with similar incident). I deleted those and the installation folder, then tried again - with same result. So I thought, "hmm ok so the script might be not suppressing the reader from accessing the app folders. This time I'll manually check if the script is adding the necessary code line before taking the reader off the computer'. In order to do so, I clean up the files again and rebooted. At this point, it bricked.

Currently, when I plug my ebook to any power source or computer, the screen would flicker a few times like a reboot but nothing will come on (= I do not see the loading dots). It is unresponsive to screen touch or factory reset attempts, and the my computer would not recognize it. And I think it's not even charging properly.

I read through the forum post entries but the cases of similar incidents didn't really have any solution in it. Seeing as I'm poor at the moment with tons of stuff to need to be read , I decided to pop the reader open to fix. Any tips on opening up the reader or how to properly use the sd image are welcome.

(P.S Should I keep the original sd card and its content, or replace/overwritting would be just fine?)
Old 12-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@B1bliomania: Hmm, that's... strange. I can't really see how a simple cat would fail, and some stuff obviously got unpacked since you got to see some of the stuff getting indexed...

I don't really see stuff being able to get unpacked in the wrong place, unless there's some heinous fuckery involved with the findmnt/unzip versions bundled on Mint, which sounds unlikely ^^.

Which means I'd definitely try with a brand new card, to make sure it's not simply a bad coincidence with a dying card .

(I will be adding another set of sanity checks post-install to the script, though ^^).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-16-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
B1bliomania

@NiLuJe
Thank you for listening. I'll try with a new card once I obtain the image file.

Just out of curiosity, the autoscript is not affected by user permission, right?
(Like, you have to run it only in user or root, for example)
Old 12-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@B1bliomania: Well, the user running the script obviously has to be allowed to write to the mounted device's filesystem .

Ideally, that should be done by your current user in both cases.

Unzip falling on its ass because of that (or any other thing) *should* have been caught by the script, though .

(As in, with a printed warning and a non-zero return code).

FWIW, I've finished testing an updated script with a few extra sanity-checks, the packages have been updated .
Old 12-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@B1bliomania: PM sent. Sorry, I think I missed the request because of the following discussion.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #12
B1bliomania

@davidfor
Got it - thank you very much and sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:52 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, my bad for the thread hijack .

(That's a subtle hint to continue further discussion on the subject in the OCP thread, @B1bliomania, if you ever get to it again ^^. In which case, keep the console output around, it might come in handy).
Old 01-01-2020, 02:41 AM   #14
ntatpc
ntatpc began at the beginning.

Device: Aura H20
Unhappy

Hello guys, I'm currently stuck with blank screen on Aura H20 after partial update. Anyone could send me some help with the factory image please?
Old 01-01-2020, 03:14 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@ntatpc: You need to enable Private Messaging. This is in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If this isn't there, it has to be added somehow. You can try posting in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819 to ask it to be enabled, or contact a moderator.

But, before opening it, try:

- Force a power off and turn it on.
- Charge it. Then do the above.
- A manual factory reset.
Closed Thread