Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #1
Bratnikotin
Bratnikotin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Searching for a book

Hello, I just started using Calibre and .. I must be not very bright, but ..
How do I search for a book whose title I know only approximately?
So, let's say, I know part of the title. And I do not know if this part is the start, end or middle of the complete title. I want to get all books "where tittle like '%Something%' ? How do I do this?

Same goes for author...

Also, is there a way to change the theme to a light one?
Bratnikotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratnikotin View Post
Hello, I just started using Calibre and .. I must be not very bright, but ..
How do I search for a book whose title I know only approximately?
So, let's say, I know part of the title. And I do not know if this part is the start, end or middle of the complete title. I want to get all books "where tittle like '%Something%' ? How do I do this?

Same goes for author...

Also, is there a way to change the theme to a light one?

Hello Bratnikotin
In the search bar for title, type
title: "part of the name of the book"
And for author
Author: "Author's first or last name"
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
title: <just what you know>
same goes for authors:

Do spell what you do search for correctly.
You type Smith and it was Smythe

The closer you are, the less you need lo scroll
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
Consider searching in Google first. Much easier to find things.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
Consider searching in Google first. Much easier to find things.
Not when the search is within the Calibre program on your computer, which is what this thread is about.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Bratnikotin
Bratnikotin began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Hello Bratnikotin
In the search bar for title, type
title: "part of the name of the book"
And for author
Author: "Author's first or last name"
Thank you !!
Got it. I was using
Title:"=<Something>", because on the left side bar, there is grouping option and when I select an author, it shows the syntax author:"=Name", but only with the complete name.
Bratnikotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Bratnokin - Tip: at the left end of the search bar there's a gears icon, clicking it will pop the Advanced Search dialogue -- don't be put off by the "Advanced", IMO the term Search Assistant would be a better name.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #8
xenduro
xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
ok i am even worse(being old and dumb)
but i can not get search to work....i do A search for any thing and it goes to the first book. that's it.. having a lot of books this is no good... i want find ALL or even find next
(maybe it can not handle a lot of books? 295,829)
years ago i think it worked but not for a long time...
xenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:33 PM   #9
xenduro
xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xenduro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
ok i changed some options(not sure what and i think its doing what it should now.. tks
xenduro is offline   Reply With Quote