Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-22-2023, 06:10 PM   #1
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
Thumbs down indesiciveness ereader discussion

hello, where do we post to if we’re indecisive?
can we make a indecisive purchase channel lol (after buying)

I got ereader but now I’m wanting to sell one of them cause it has no page turn buttons and I don’t need it but I want it, it’s kobo elipsa and I was wondering if I should sell it for an old like book Mimas 10 or onyx box for page turn buttons and replace kobo elipsa for libra 2, but then I’ll feel like I’m hoarding … this person on Reddit was shaming multiple ereader people lol and I can see why but I feel like I need different sizes even tho I can use them all simultaneously

Do you guys relate?
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:15 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Heh, who cares what some a$$hole on Reddit thinks. I've had multiple ereaders for many years and I'm not ashamed of the fact. And of course there's nothing wrong with having only one ereader either. Whatever floats your boat.

By all means sell your Elipsa and get something else instead.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 07:52 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by readthinksurvive View Post
... this person on Reddit was shaming multiple ereader people lol and I can see why but I feel like I need different sizes even tho I can use them all simultaneously

Do you guys relate?
I would have trouble "relating" to someone trying to shame others on Reddit for their buying choices. I would ignore that person and do what I want to do. Many people have multiple readers, often using them for different purposes or in different locations.

And I don't think you're being indecisive, I think you know what you want to do. Just do it without worrying about the "shaming" from some busybody.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 05:41 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Multiple gadgets is good!

One size doesn't fit all.

10.3″ for PDFs / comics (Elipsa)
An Android eink for apps for loans etc.
8″ Sage is favourite for reading novels and works for many smaller PDF instruction booklets/manuals. Favourite for notes exported as docx or text.
A 4.7″ eink model about size iPhone 6 always in coat pocket
An original Libra on a stand to read out loud.
A Paperwhite 3 so Amazon ebooks can be bought and read on the Sage.

Apps on phone / tablet
7" and 10" tablets depending on app.
Two phones, one never leaves the house that has 2FA and SMS etc for Websites, the other used away from the house.
Desktop with 23.5″ 4K screen and UPS for working at home, but laptop for elsewhere.

There are other reasons why you might have multiple ereaders. I hardly use the Elipsa but I'd not sell it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 07:01 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What's the reason for the button need?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 07:50 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's irrelevant what the reason is. The buttons can be ignored and the current models with page turn buttons would be probably same size without them because of the space needed for the display "tail", c.f. Sage or Libra or Libra2 (buttons) vs Elipsa (strangely no buttons).
Old 07-23-2023, 11:24 AM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Dry fingers.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 11:32 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Or buttered fingers
Old 07-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #9
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
I have multiple because I can’t seem to find the perfect ereader:
Oasis 3: my daily driver but battery is crappy and I hate the micro usb, also kind of bored with it. I also use whispersync and Goodreads a fair amount.
Kobo Sage: beautiful screen and I use the overdrive integration and pocket often. Battery and buttons are disappointing however. Night mode is kind of a pain to access vs kindle. I love the google and Wikipedia look up on here, it is garbage on kindle. Unable to extend my library borrows a few days with the turning off Wi-Fi trick like on kindle.
Nook glow light 4 w pink pearl back: I love the feel in hand of this one and the buttons are great. Software is a mess and I don’t have a windows machine to download my books. Also no night mode or landscape orientation. Getting library books on it is huge PITA.
Kobo Forma: hate the buttons and no night mode ( used to be in dev mode but an update removed it, I couldn’t figure out how to set up nickel menu)
Nook gl 3: nice screen but horribly clicky buttons, bad software.
Kindle voyage: beautiful screen and great battery life- hate the haptic buttons and no warm light or inverted mode. Daughter 2 uses it now.
Kindle ppw 1: I was so happy to finally get an ereader with a built in light! But, no buttons and I missed them. Daughter 1 uses it and it still works great. You can see the screen resolution is not the best but honestly we don’t really notice once immersed in a book.
Kindle 2: my first one from 2009. I keep it for sentimental reasons- I really loved this thing but the battery is pretty much depleted and is missing a chunk of plastic on the side from the cases metal prongs. I still sometimes fire it up to play Every Word or read one of my old books on it. Loved the buttons and keyboard
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 07:15 PM   #10
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
I also bought my husband a PW5 last year and it is really nice but no buttons. Also the whole kindle experience just seems kind of meh- I suppose there is not much innovation in ereaders anymore.
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 09:55 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
To turn pages. I'm guessing the reason for them is that he/she wants them. No "justification" necessary.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote