Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Nook Accounts Devices and Books

I was reading another thread and thinking about what I posted there and I came to the conclusion that we might be thinking of the nook in terms of the kindle too much. This being related specifically to what the accounts on B&N do.

You do not need an account to use a Nook.
You do not need to log into your account to read your book loaded on the nook.
You can log into multiple nooks with the same account.

As I understand it and according to the nook user guide. You can read your book on the device by entering the DRM password which is the credit card number you used to purchase the book.

What does the account do?

It allows you to use the store and purchase materials. It also allows you to share your information across many devices including but not limited to notes, highlights, page position, and purchased books. Also you don't need to enter your DRM password if your logged into your account.

DRM on books?

As I understand it each book needs the password entered into the nook once to unlock it forever on that device. In fact you may not need to enter it for each book but just once for the device.

Any thing to add or correct?
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you don't need to log onto anything to read your Kindle. all you need to log on for is managing your Kindle on your pc. books can even be purchased from your Kindle without a log on
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

How does amazon know what account to link your book to? What credit card to charge? etc. Are you reffering to logging in or registering your kindle?

Last edited by Propheous; 12-08-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
your device is registered to an email account which is connected to your credit card number.

conceivably, you could order from either your Kindle, or your Amazon account online (it is possible for it to "remember you" and your details) when you first set it up and never have to log on, register, enter a password or anything else ever again
Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Propheous
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
your device is registered to an email account which is connected to your credit card number.

conceivably, you could order from either your Kindle, or your Amazon account online (it is possible for it to "remember you" and your details) when you first set it up and never have to log on, register, enter a password or anything else ever again
Exactly because your device is registered to that account all ready. The nook *DOES NOT* work like this at all.

Your device contacts B&N to get data according to the account that the device is setup to use. You can change that account as you see fit on the device itself. When you do so your content (books etc) are not deleted from the device, but rather only your information linked to your account is removed, such as highlights, notations, currently reading information etc. Also, you will need to setup an account on the device to purchase from the store.

I hope that explains the difference. While you do not have your account on your device you can read any books on the device by providing the DRM password.
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
With the Kindle, it gets the serial number registered to your Amazon account when it ships. This ties the device to the account automatically, and the store/DRM servers all work based on this serial number. The upside to this scheme is that it is very 'out of your way' unless you gift a Kindle... then that person needs to figure out how to activate the Kindle onto their Amazon account (which is still pretty simple). The downside is that because authorization is on the server side, people will start losing access to their content after the servers die (say your Kindle dies, you find a replacement, but it can't be authorized).

With the nook, the DRM is based on the book itself. You enter one username/password once per device, and purchasing/downloading from the nook via your B&N library will even let you skip that. You will only ever need to enter it again on a different device, or if you change your CC# with B&N. And with B&N working with Adobe to include this scheme with ADE (Content Server, the device SDK, and the desktop app), it will be possible to take this content to other devices that get the updated SDK in the next year. Sony's Reader, iRex's stuff, the Plastic Logic device, and others will all be able to open this stuff up if they update to the latest device SDK.

It is a trade-off in both cases. Amazon comes across as a bit more confident in this case, as they are expecting to stick around in the market, and want the ease of use they can bring by making more of the process automatic. B&N comes across as being less restrictive, and more willing to play in an open market where a buyer has a choice of where to get their content from, or what device to put the content on (Sony is now showing that they are willing to do the same as well).

The question I have is: will the Kindle and Amazon be enough of a powerhouse that them playing in their own sandbox for the most part is not a drawback? Or will the market opening up and competitors willing to untie their content stores and devices pressure Amazon into joining in?
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

something seems to be a bit off here. I have three Kindles (one will be a gift). my main Kindle gets all of the purchases I make at Amazon, they go directly there. the other two receive the purchases I direct there.

regardless... when I pick up the Kindle, all I do is push two buttons with one hand and I am either looking at the book I was last reading, or my home page which lists my content. I never have to "log on"
Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
something seems to be a bit off here. I have three Kindles (one will be a gift). my main Kindle gets all of the purchases I make at Amazon, they go directly there. the other two receive the purchases I direct there.

regardless... when I pick up the Kindle, all I do is push two buttons with one hand and I am either looking at the book I was last reading, or my home page which lists my content. I never have to "log on"
This all sounds correct. The serial number is tied to your account when it ships by Amazon, so it doesn't /need/ your login information. Amazon's servers takes the serial number, looks it up and goes "Aha! It belongs to this person, and here's the account information needed for purchases."

If you sell or give your Kindle to someone else, you have to actually remove it from your account, and have them add it to theirs unless you are sharing an account (which is probably not a great idea unless you trust them with your CC#). You can login with your Amazon account on the website and see the Kindles attached to your account and manage them that way.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Amazon's 6-device per ebook limit is generous, but B&N (and eReader) has no device limit at all. Similarly, a Kindle can only read DRMed ebooks specifically downloaded for that Kindle but the Nook can read any DRMed Nook/eReader ebook you have the credit card info for (and also any Adobe ebooks on a single AdobeID).

The Nook approach is a bit more flexible for a family of readers, but Amazon's approach will be good enough for many.

Note that registration of the Nook isn't required, but can only be done via AT&T wireless or via WiFi inside a B&N store. This will be an issue for international buyers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
This all sounds correct. The serial number is tied to your account when it ships by Amazon, so it doesn't /need/ your login information. Amazon's servers takes the serial number, looks it up and goes "Aha! It belongs to this person, and here's the account information needed for purchases."

If you sell or give your Kindle to someone else, you have to actually remove it from your account, and have them add it to theirs unless you are sharing an account (which is probably not a great idea unless you trust them with your CC#). You can login with your Amazon account on the website and see the Kindles attached to your account and manage them that way.
then why is there a supposed issue of having to "log on" to a Kindle? it never happens
Old 12-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Abulia
Enthusiast
Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
He's saying that validation happens in the background, ala "logging in," "calling home," et. al. Just because you're not doing it doesn't mean the device isn't doing it in the background.
Abulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

it only does it when whisper net is engaged to dowload a book
Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
Propheous
Connoisseur

Quote:
then why is there a supposed issue of having to "log on" to a Kindle? it never happens
This is not an issue. Please learn the difference between a comparison of basic functionality and a complaint against a device. This post is more of a clearing up of how the two services are different and more specifically how the Nook works in relation to the books and service.

THIS IS NOT A KINDLE SUCKS THREAD. I have no opinion on the kindle in that matter.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propheous View Post
This is not an issue. Please learn the difference between a comparison of basic functionality and a complaint against a device. This post is more of a clearing up of how the two services are different and more specifically how the Nook works in relation to the books and service.

THIS IS NOT A KINDLE SUCKS THREAD. I have no opinion on the kindle in that matter.
I know that!!!! I am trying to understand what you meant by this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propheous View Post
I was reading another thread and thinking about what I posted there and I came to the conclusion that we might be thinking of the nook in terms of the kindle too much. You do not need an account to use a Nook.
You do not need to log into your account to read your book loaded on the nook.You can log into multiple nooks with the same account.

and either you are using it incorrectly or I completely misunderstand you
Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #15
Propheous
Connoisseur

Quote:
I know that!!!! I am trying to understand what you meant by this;
and either you are using it incorrectly or I completely misunderstand you
Let me see if I can break it down. Its a subtle difference but an important one.

A kindle is tethered to an account. I am not completely sure if you can untether it either, though it may be possible.

The only thing a nook is tethered too is the simcard and cellular service for its AT&T account.

What this means is that I can buy a Nook use for a year then reset it to factory default give it to my grandma and she can go on her marry way. No ties to me or my content.

Going beyond the device we have the e-books you purchase through B&N. These are also not tethered to your account. Meaning you can use them with out logging into B&N or using a device registered to your account. All you need is the password which is the credit card you purchased the book with.

What this means is that you can transfer it to any device that is capable of reading the format (which I think is epub can someone confirm?) and enter the password and read it.

I hope this helps clear this all up. These are somewhat subtle and not so obvious differences from what I understand that kindle provides.