Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2019, 12:59 AM   #61
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
in our case, the family photos, going back many years, were too large for dropbox, so we use both of google's unlimited photo storage ( just Ok them to compress any super large ones) and amazon's unlimited photo storage ( for as long as you keep up your prime membership)
took ages, but about 60gb is now uploaded to both. I don't fully trust their sync-with-desktop programs so I did it manually, one year at a time.
all new photos get taken either with a fire tablet or a google phone so they get auto copied to one or the other. i do have the camera upload to dropbox ON , on tablets as a further backup
my only gripe with the excellent google photos is that in Europe we cannot turn on face recognition and have it auto-build albums of people. I somehow got that to work for my account as it was a very old one, from before that rule was enforced, but not for my wife's gmail, which is our main photo storage account, I even went through the suggested workaround of log her in on a VPN to pretend she is in usa, and then try to enable the feature, but it still did not work
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #62
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I just got a notice from Dropbox that they're now, as of March, limiting us to only 3 devices.
No problem for me. The only thing I use a third-party cloud for, is to host an encrypted password file for Keepass. (Obviously it also needs a key file to function which isn't in Dropbox, and you'd need to know the master password as well.)

I'll just move it to OneDrive. If I really need to, I'll put NextCloud onto my always-on music server.

Besides this (having all of my passwords across all devices, using an open source password locker) I'll never... _NEVER_ put anything into someone else's cloud. I've seen too many companies who provide "downloads for life" die and wipe everything.

If data doesn't exist on at least three separate drivers in at least two different locations, it doesn't exist at all, IMHO.

You said that you thought Dropbox to be stable.

If it's not running locally, disconnected from the internet, I don't consider anything stable.

I've even keep Calibre's latest installation backed up, together with its current configuration folder (which contains the plugins I'm using). I do the same with any and all programs that I rely upon. If I can't back it up and run it without being being connected to the internet, I don't want it (except if it's so trivial that I don't care losing it someday).

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-01-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #63
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
...I'll never... _NEVER_ put anything into someone else's cloud. I've seen too many companies who provide "downloads for life" die and wipe everything.

If data doesn't exist on at least three separate drivers in at least two different locations, it doesn't exist at all, IMHO.
One doesn't exclude the other. I keep my data both in Dropbox and on several external drives.

Nothing beats Dropbox as to the convenience and syncing. I have a local network drive also, but the problem with that is, I disconnect all my electronics when I leave home, for safety. When I'm away from home, I can still access my data from Dropbox.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
One doesn't exclude the other. I keep my data both in Dropbox and on several external drives.

Nothing beats Dropbox as to the convenience and syncing. I have a local network drive also, but the problem with that is, I disconnect all my electronics when I leave home, for safety. When I'm away from home, I can still access my data from Dropbox.
Agreed. It makes no difference to me if Dropbox goes out of business. I'd lose exactly nothing if they wiped their data tomorrow. I'd miss the convenience, but nothing else.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #65
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Agreed. It makes no difference to me if Dropbox goes out of business. I'd lose exactly nothing if they wiped their data tomorrow. I'd miss the convenience, but nothing else.
Yep. I've also got several copies at home, but if my house were to burn down tomorrow (knock on wood!) my most important files are on dropbox and 100% current. Being able to use things like calibre companion when I'm away from home is just icing on the cake. You have to have an off-site backup of your data to be safe, and dropbox happens to be the method I use.

The peace of mind is well worth the monthly cost to me. If they go out of business, I'll just find another cloud storage solution.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #66
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Relying on cloud-based subscriptions to get your stuff done nets you this:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/02/adobe...ud-price-hike/

This is the main reason I'll never ever pay for any cloud product.

The only reason cloud-based applications are so popular with companies is that having a team of in-house engineers to maintain said applications on-premise is even more expensive.

For consumers, I don't see the point in using cloud-based services for any regularly recurring stuff. You pay and pay, and as soon as you stop paying, the service stops and you're stranded.

I know people who had big music collections. Some gave every CD they had away, because of Spotify. Now they pay €10 a month, over and over, to listen to music, over and over that they owned before. I stashed my CD's in a rack in the attic, after I ripped them to my hard drive as FLAC files, and I listen to music for free.

The only cloud-based service I'd consider would be Netflix, because I don't watch the same movies over and over again.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-03-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #67
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For consumers, I don't see the point in using cloud-based services for any regularly recurring stuff. You pay and pay, and as soon as you stop paying, the service stops and you're stranded.
Again... who's "stranded?" Anybody who gets stranded because a cloud-based service stops or goes under isn't working smart in the first place. It's a bit silly to me that so many people seem to want to believe that people who use (and pay for) cloud-based services are all morons who couldn't possibly know how to use such services efficiently, let alone wisely. Get over yourselves. It's OK if you don't want to use them, but please, please, please stop thinking you're the only ones who have their heads on straight regarding them. It's insulting. They're not evil. They're not inherently "wrong." They're just not for you. Thankfully, the rest of the free world has no obligation to BE you.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #68
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

I know people who had big music collections. Some gave every CD they had away, because of Spotify. Now they pay €10 a month, over and over, to listen to music, over and over that they owned before. I stashed my CD's in a rack in the attic, after I ripped them to my hard drive as FLAC files, and I listen to music for free.

The only cloud-based service I'd consider would be Netflix, because I don't watch the same movies over and over again.
For Dropbox, I think it's fair to pay as a subscription since you're paying for the service, not the content/software.

If Dropbox stops operations, I still have all my data stored locally. It's just the automatic, up-to-date syncing and offsite backup service that I'd lose.

I still buy CDs and Blu-rays for content I want to actually keep. Netflix and Spotify are fine for content I don't care to own. Mind, I don't actually subscribe to Spotify. I just use Amazon Music that comes included with my existing Amazon Prime subscription.

I do wish I didn't have to get an Office 365 subscription for my iOS devices though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Relying on cloud-based subscriptions to get your stuff done nets you this:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/02/adobe...ud-price-hike/

This is the main reason I'll never ever pay for any cloud product.

The only reason cloud-based applications are so popular with companies is that having a team of in-house engineers to maintain said applications on-premise is even more expensive.

It's fine if you don't want to pay for syncing your stuff. Nobody's forcing you. I, on the other hand, am perfectly willing to pay the current price for the speed and convenience. And why should I ever be stranded? If I don't want to pay anymore, I can stop any time or switch the providers. Naturally Dropbox isn't the only place I keep my stuff. I don't understand why people constantly assume that all Dropbox users rely only on Dropbox. We don't.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:05 PM   #70
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I only use dropbox to easily transfer files between my tablet, laptop, and desktop. Sure, I could use a jump drive but dropbox is much easier. I could lose the few things I have in there with no issues, they're all on 2 or 3 of my devices.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #71
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Again... who's "stranded?" Anybody who gets stranded because a cloud-based service stops or goes under isn't working smart in the first place. It's a bit silly to me that so many people seem to want to believe that people who use (and pay for) cloud-based services are all morons who couldn't possibly know how to use such services efficiently, let alone wisely. Get over yourselves. It's OK if you don't want to use them, but please, please, please stop thinking you're the only ones who have their heads on straight regarding them. It's insulting. They're not evil. They're not inherently "wrong." They're just not for you. Thankfully, the rest of the free world has no obligation to BE you.
Using subscription-based services to provide stuff you depend on, particularly the ones where there's no alternative (like the Adobe software), just isn't smart.

And yes, I do think some subscription-based services are both wrong and evil.

For example, I'd never pay even one cent for a Windows-as-a-service subscription. I'd rather toss all my games in the bin (or run them on an older computer as long as it'll last) and move to Linux.

You pay for convenience. You pay to NOT have control over you stuff, including what you're going to pay in the future. If people keep adding subscription-based services, they'll be paying tens if not hundreds of euro's a year, and the rates in the future will only go up.

And yes, all of this is a problem, or there wouldn't be a thread about Dropbox dropping the number of devices/apps that can be subscribed. You can switch to something else; but I'm convinced, that in the end, only Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon will be in the cloud business. All the others will either have gone bankrupt, or they'll be bought.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-04-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #72
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Using subscription-based services to provide stuff you depend on, particularly the ones where there's no alternative (like the Adobe software), just isn't smart.

For example, I'd never pay even one cent for a Windows-as-a-service subscription. I'd rather toss all my games in the bin (or run them on an older computer as long as it'll last) and move to Linux.

You pay for convenience. You pay to NOT have control over you stuff, including what you're going to pay in the future. If people keep adding subscription-based services, they'll be paying tens if not hundreds of euro's a year, and the rates in the future will only go up.

And yes, all of this is a problem, or there wouldn't be a thread about Dropbox dropping the number of devices/apps that can be subscribed. You can switch to something else; but I'm convinced, that in the end, only Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon will be in the cloud business. All the others will either have gone bankrupt, or they'll be bought.
Again, all this talk about depending and not having control. You still assume that people who use Dropbox don't keep back-ups elsewhere. And since you'd never use any subscription-based services anyway, why are you concerned about their future prices?

I use Dropbox for convenience, but I don't depend on it. I can perfectly well access my stuff without it. It would just be slower and less convenient. But if they ever raise their prices to the point I could no longer afford, I will not hesitate to quit.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #73
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Only if I put all of my eggs in one basket. I'm not that dumb. A lot of people are not that dumb.

Quote:
Now THAT sounds pretty dumb.

Quote:
That's you. You are not the paragon of technological sense and sensibility..

Quote:
You pay for convenience.
Yes. As people are quite wont to do.

Quote:
You pay to NOT have control over you stuff, including what you're going to pay in the future.
I do nothing of the sort. I have complete control over where I choose to keep multiple incarnations of "my stuff" and complete control over who, and how much, I'm willing to pay for each incarnation of "my stuff." Because--once again--I'm not an idiot. I don't put all of my eggs in one basket.

Quote:
If people keep adding subscription-based services, they'll be paying tens if not hundreds of euro's a year, and the rates in the future will only go up.
That's of no concern to you whatsoever if you have no intention of ever using them.

Quote:
You can switch to something else; but I'm convinced, that in the end, only Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon will be in the cloud business. All the others will either have gone bankrupt, or they'll be bought.
To which I say, "so what?" I'm not going to deny myself conveniences I value today, out of fear for potential future problems that I've already safe-guarded myself against. If/When I find the convenience is not worth the price, I'll stop paying. At that time, none of "my stuff" will be stranded or lost. It will be safely present in several other locations. Just like it always was. I'm not afraid of adapting to new technological climates. I've done it fairly successfully for most of my life.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-04-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #74
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Nonsense. There are plenty of non-subscription alternatives to Adobe. There are even articles specifically calling those options out. Heck, for the vast majority of home users, Photoshop Elements is affordable and is probably going to yield better results with less effort than the full blown Photoshop.

Quote:
Yes, the ones where they force people to subscribe and drag the fees out of their bank account no matter what they say. Yep, those are the evil ones.

Quote:
I pay for peace of mind. I pay for insurance. To me, that's what Dropbox is. You MUST have offsite backups of files to be secure. Dropbox happens to be a real-time offsite backup. I could give an external hard drive to a friend, or put it in a safe deposit box and that would also qualify as an offsite backup....but only as often as I update that copy. I could lose all of the family photos I've scanned and it would cost me the time it took to scan them - hundreds of hours. In the event that my house burned down, or was flooded or something, and I lost not only the digital copies but the originals too? That is quite literally priceless. I pay $8.25 a month for a TB of storage, and it's the cheapest insurance I have. If Dropbox no longer met my needs, I'd look at one of their competitors. This is not "wrong and evil". It is a much appreciated service.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #75
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Re paying a monthly fee to stream stuff you used to own.
I had 60+GB of MP3 and 20Gb of .flac on multiple PCs I now happily pay for Spotify instead and have deleted most of its freeing up SSD space. I did upload all of for free to Google music beforehand though. Just in case.. and multiple test with my best nick convinced me that I can't hear the difference between flac and 320bit Spotify premium. I trilled qobos and tidal hi timeframe also? They all sound equally good.

I guess with video the comparison is can you tell the difference between netflix streaming at a
1080p full hd and a blu ray disc in an expensive player. I can't. Ownded discs are so inconvenient compared with rented streams

As others say, it is about convenience. It is also about having access to millions of tracks you have not bought. As retired now guitar teacher, it was great to have legit access to stuff my students liked but I would never have bought.
I note that pirate sources of music are now almost all dead. It used to be trivial to download an album but high quality legal services have won. CDs are dead and so are music torrents.

I see other services going the same way, pay to stream z never own. I just got three months of game pass for Xbox one for £1. That is a netflix style consume all you want service, and with fast internet it's great.

All very off topic for books though so I will stop now...

Though I wonder if anyone will ever do a netflix for quality ebooks, audio books, not the junk heap that is Kindle unlimited

Last edited by stumped; 05-04-2019 at 12:56 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote