Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
KA1 battery drain w/4.2.8432

I updated my KA1 to 4.2.8432 last night while plugged into the wall plug and with a full charge, then unplugged it without any further use.

This morning the battery was near zero.

What is recommended for this problem?

Thanks!

Last edited by petercreasey; 02-06-2017 at 09:45 AM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I updated my KA1 to 4.2.8432 last night while plugged into the wall plug and with a full charge, then unplugged it without any further use.

This morning the battery was near zero.

What is recommended for this problem?

Thanks!
Check that syncing is not on. If it's not on in settings screen, scheck the settings file to see if it's on.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Syncing was and is turned off on settings screen. Wifi was turned off right after the syncing.

I can't find the settings file. How do I check the settings file? And what do I do if it's set ON...just replace ON with OFF?

The "syncnextboot" was and is set to "false".

Thanks!

Last edited by petercreasey; 02-06-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Syncing was and is turned off on settings screen. Wifi was turned off right after the syncing.

I can't find the settings file. How do I check the settings file? And what do I do if it's set ON...just replace ON with OFF?

The "syncnextboot" was and is set to "false".
Sorry, how can you know that "syncnextboot" is set to "false" and not know how to find the settings file? Of course, it is actually "syncOnNextBoot", but it isn't on any settings screen, so you have to be looking at the config file.

In any case, what Jon said is a waste of time. He is referring to a bug in a previous release that has been fixed and then confusing the symptoms. If the auto sync is shown as off when you open the settings screen, it is off.

Overall, a one-off battery discharge isn't something to worry about. And by now it's to late to work out what caused it. If it happens again, or more importantly, keeps happening, or you catch the discharge and can look at what is going on, then worry and look.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard

David, I subsequently found the settings file. And, yes, I discounted what John said, but decided to just make sure.

And, yes, I'm hoping, as you say, this battery drain is a one-time event. On other devices (and hopefully on the KA1 as well), it is not unusual for battery drain after an update until things are fully settled.

Thanks for replying!
Advert
Old 02-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
kiwik
Enthusiast
kiwik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One (ex Kindle, Sony 505)
I've set mine to power off after 60 minutes, and I'm actually really liking it. The startup time from powered off is only about 15 seconds, so it's no big hassle. Since I've done that, my battery life has been amazing!

e: This also means that I can leave the sleep cover active, rather than disabling it.

Last edited by kiwik; 02-06-2017 at 09:48 PM.
kiwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #7
pclewis
Enthusiast
pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Ditto

Same settings as Kiwik for power management. No battery issues.

Phil
pclewis is offline   Reply With Quote