Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
PW 2 a little buggy?

I've had a few problems with mine and am wondering if others are experiencing any of these symptoms:

1. You go to turn a page and the font-size screen pops up, with the font size highlighted that is smaller than what you use. You can't change the size on that screen, you need to accept what it gives you then click on the font-size icon and change it. I've had this happen a half dozen times or so.

2. You're actively reading and the PW shuts off, and you need to turn it on again. This has happened twice.

3. The screen froze once and was completely unresponsive. PW wouldn't turn off when I pushed the "on" button. I was considering pressing the "on" button until I got some response when the unit spontaneously rebooted. It took me back to the home screen and when I went back to the book I was reading, it took me to a page about 6 pages previous to where I left off.

Never had any of these things happen to my PW 1. Anyone else seeing these?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I have had 2 and 3 happen to me, but not the first one. I've seen a couple other people on here mention screen freezes and shutdowns too. I never had these issues on my pw1 either.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My PW 2013 had a spontaneous reboot twice.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Mine has frozen/rebooted at least 10 times. Larger file sizes (newspapers) seem to bog down the memory in the device. I've been working with Amazon on this and am supposed to hear back early next week.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I've not encountered any of these issues.
Note: I haven't read any newspapers on it. All the books I've read on it have been run through Calibre (with plugin) and sideloaded.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
WOW 2 & 3 been happening to me on my K3 lately... Amazon tells me I need to Replace its old! Wonder what they tel you guys since PW2 is New??
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I've had a few problems with mine and am wondering if others are experiencing any of these symptoms:

1. You go to turn a page and the font-size screen pops up, with the font size highlighted that is smaller than what you use. You can't change the size on that screen, you need to accept what it gives you then click on the font-size icon and change it. I've had this happen a half dozen times or so.
If you accidentally placed two fingers on the screen, it may have interpreted it as a pinch and zoom.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
If you accidentally placed two fingers on the screen, it may have interpreted it as a pinch and zoom.
If it happens again, I'll keep that in mind, but I think I'm just tapping the screen with my thumb.

Jim
Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I 've very, very occasionally had the font-size window appear on my PW1 (not on the PW2 as yet). It happens when - for whatever reason - the PW thinks you've done a two-finger "pinch" on the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Just had the font window come up when turning a page on my PW2 for the first time today. I've read about four books on my PW2 and this is the first time that's ever happened to me, so unless it starts happening a lot more frequently won't bother me too much. As Harry said--I'm sure my PW2 thought for some reason I'd done the 2-finger pinch/zoom.

Haven't had the PW2 turn off while reading yet--but it has frozen on me once. I was able to do a reset by holding down the power button--I think that was due to a corrupted azw file.

Something that has happened a couple times to me is that I've opened the cover (I have the official Amazon cover) and the Kindle came on but the light didn't. Going to the light settings and changing the brightness made the light come back on.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
So far I have experienced no problens on the PW2. A friend of mine however, has had a problem where it goes back several pages instead of one when he touches the "page back" area of the screen. Amazon is sending him a new Kindle.
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Strether
Guru

A variation of #2 of my original post occurred this morning:

While reading, it spontaneously went from text to screen saver to text to screen saver to text to screen saver to text. Very disconcerting!

Jim
Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If a Factory Reset of the device doesn't fix this most recent problem, I'd ask for a replacement. I would make sure that it isn't a buggy book file first.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
If a Factory Reset of the device doesn't fix this most recent problem, I'd ask for a replacement. I would make sure that it isn't a buggy book file first.
That is what I'm thinking too. He might want to delete and reload that book and see if it helps. Bad book files happen!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I 've very, very occasionally had the font-size window appear on my PW1 (not on the PW2 as yet). It happens when - for whatever reason - the PW thinks you've done a two-finger "pinch" on the screen.
THANK YOU!! I have been experiencing this since the PW1 was first released but always assumed I tried to change the page too high and accidentally hit the menu area and then the font button. I was always too distracted by what I was reading to notice if that was really the case or not. Whew, one mystery solved!
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote