Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
dnipper
Edge User

Android apps newbie

Could someone explain to an old windows programmer how or if I can get apps to run on the eDGe. I would love to have a calendar or to/do list app.
Thanks in advance.
D Nipper

Old 04-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
devseev
Edge User

Since the eDGe is not authorized to access the android marketplace, you need to download .apk files manually from an alternative repository, such as slideme.org, etc. or directly from the developer site. Get the file onto your eDGe (directly via dolphin browser or send from PC via email, usb, sd card, flash, dropbox, etc) access the file via Library/Strorage, and click and hold to install! Some apps don't run, and many run in a small window, but check others' posts re apps that work well full-screen.

If you're asking how to compile an app for android yourself - that's well beyond my skill level.

Re calendar/todo - ince I am an Exchange user at the office, I just use the Nitrodesk Touchdown app (superb!) to have my Outlook calendar/todo list on the eDGe. Haven't tried any other apps for this, but I think others have mentioned that some do indeed work (full-screen) on the edge.

Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
casualt
Edge User

When will the Edge have access to the marketplace? or is this not likely to happen?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
rakista
Edge User

It will happen, its just that currently the android marketplace is setup completely for smartphones. As soon as more Android pads/netbooks start entering the market it is bound to happen.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
educator
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by devseev View Post
Since the eDGe is not authorized to access the android marketplace, you need to download .apk files manually from an alternative repository, such as slideme.org, etc. or directly from the developer site. Get the file onto your eDGe (directly via dolphin browser or send from PC via email, usb, sd card, flash, dropbox, etc) access the file via Library/Strorage, and click and hold to install! Some apps don't run, and many run in a small window, but check others' posts re apps that work well full-screen.

If you're asking how to compile an app for android yourself - that's well beyond my skill level.

Re calendar/todo - ince I am an Exchange user at the office, I just use the Nitrodesk Touchdown app (superb!) to have my Outlook calendar/todo list on the eDGe. Haven't tried any other apps for this, but I think others have mentioned that some do indeed work (full-screen) on the edge.
How did you get Touchdown to work on the eDGe? I have a license to use it on my phone ...can i also use the same license on the eDGe?

Thanks

Advert