Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
PypeBros
PypeBros began at the beginning.

Device: cybook odyssey
epub support on Onyx Boox

Hello, world.

I own an Onyx Boox (N96-dt, iirc) for a month now, and the primary thing I'd like to read on it is code. I know it's a bit akward, but my previous e-book reader proved a real printer-killer. I'm using the doxygen tools to extract code and format it in HTML pages, then the 'calibre' linux application to package the HTML content into an e-pub.

I have two major requirements for the reading application to run on the e-reader:
1) allow URL following and back-tracking (i.e. touching a function name will take me to that function's definition following the hyperlink within the document, and i should have something to bring me back when I come from
2) preserve the doxygen formatting

None of the software on the Onyx Boox satisfy me to these ends, unfortunately: either they don't offer back-tracking (e.g. FBreader, NeoReader) or they screw up the display badly (Neo Reader v2.0).

So I'm under the process of writing re-formatting tools that will make doxygen contents better formatted under the NeoReader 2.0 (because I don't have the time to patch FBReader :-/), but I'm surprised by the amount of things that seem to go wrong:
- CSS seems to be ignored. If I say e.g. that a generic tag should use monospace font, it will not be applied. If I use another HTML tag that implies monospace font, it works.
- tables are very crude. It seems that you can't hide borders, or adjust the column widths, etc. (although I might have to check whether it relies on CSS, again).
- floating images are unreliable. Sometimes I got them floating on the left, sometimes they will appear "inline" with the text (breaking the flow). I haven't found any way to have a floating image on the right side with the text at its left (only left-image and right-text).

Has anybody around ever tried to do similar things? Has Onyx released any documentation about the software they're embedding there ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by PypeBros; 10-07-2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: link to sources of onyx boox fork of FBReader
PypeBros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:24 AM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PypeBros View Post
I own an Onyx Boox (N96-dt, iirc) for a month now, and the primary thing I'd like to read on it is code. [...] I'm using the doxygen tools to extract code and format it in HTML pages, then the 'calibre' linux application to package the HTML content into an e-pub.
Welcome mate, nice to have you here,
please contribute as much as you can!

Have you tried with browsers? I mean: generate the html and load it to the reader (no .epub involved), then select the best web documents browser

Last edited by mdp; 10-06-2017 at 03:37 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2017, 05:58 AM   #3
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Hello, world.

Has anybody around ever tried to do similar things? Has Onyx released any documentation about the software they're embedding there ?

Thanks in advance

Hi, the CSS support of Neo Reader 2 and FBreader is very poor. You can try the Onyx Neo reader (the old one, not the version 2) or some Android ebook reader application.

Fabrizio
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PypeBros, simultaneously to your problem I was checking browsers that work well with (the Amazing) Frederic Laboureur's SpiderBasic. See other new thread.

Have you tried Dolphin with your doxygen exports?
Old 10-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
PypeBros

Hello, thanks for your replies.
I have indeed tried web browsers and although they would indeed render CSS much better they have several shortcomings that wouldn't make them fit the purpose.

At first, they don't allow annotations and bookmarking HTML pages is much less precise than bookmarking e-pub pages.
Second, I couldn't find any way to make web browsers properly handle HTML files stored locally (but maybe I should try harder ?) -- except of course the pages are marked for offline reading manually (but I have 353 pages for only one project).

I liked the css-processing of Neo Reader (original), but unfortunately, I couldn't find any way to back-track after following some hyperlink, which is important to go back to some code reading after I looked up the definition of a variable. I tried a few others, but haven't found a perfect one yet (the fact the device is running aged Android 4.0 doesn't help).
Advert
Old 10-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Take a look to Moonreader: it has the "back" option. The css support is "so-so" but in preferences you can enable/disable css and font embedded. You can try.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #7
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I have two major requirements
Have you instead tried office automation text editing? Kingsoft (5.12) or WPS Office (latest)?

Quote:
Hello, world.
Hello Mr. Ritchie, you are dearly missed! ; )
Old 10-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #8
mdp
Wizard

Also: you were praising the software from Cybook, right? What is it?
Old 10-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
PypeBros

I think the cybook was running Boo Reader, which is proprietary to bookeen devices. It doesn't seem to be available out of the bookeen devices -- which weren't running android, but a custom linux build, I'm afraid.

I gave Moon+ Reader a try, and indeed it has pretty polished rendering and workable backtracking. Unfortunately, it seems to crash/stall easily on my documents, skip entire chapters or silently drop some pictures on the chapters it shows.

Quote:
Hello Mr. Ritchie, you are dearly missed! ; )
You mean D. Ritchie ?. That's an honor I'm not sure I can handle ^^" ...
Old 10-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Are you sure your ePub are validated?
Old 10-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
Hi, the CSS support of Neo Reader 2 and FBreader is very poor. You can try the Onyx Neo reader (the old one, not the version 2) or some Android ebook reader application.

Fabrizio
Most Android ePub apps are very poor with CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:42 AM   #12
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most Android ePub apps are very poor with CSS.
Yes but a lot are better than fbreader and neoreader 2. If Moon+Reader fails to render the page you can also try Gitden Reader, but I do not remember how it handles the "back" link...
Old 10-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #13
Brandobras
Zealot
Brandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it is

Device: Onyx T68
I don't know if it is what you need but I use the app pocketbook because it respects the CSS of the ebooks very well (way better than Neoreader and Moon+Reader, IMHO).
you cannot download it directly from Gplay, but must install it from the apk.

best regards
Brandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:55 AM   #14
PypeBros

Not much luck with gitden. Renders quite well but tends to crash when I try to follow links. It doesn't seem to have backtracking either, and it integrates quite poorly with the Boox operating system, afaik (e.g. couldn't find files already available, has redundant library functions, etc).

I installed epubcheck, trying to validate first sounds a good idea: i'd rather not rely so blindly on calibre's output. There are a lot of 'onclick' attributes and other 'input' elements I have to clean up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandobras View Post
I don't know if it is what you need but I use the app pocketbook because it respects the CSS of the ebooks very well
Do you mean that pocketbook ? (found on google play, btw.)
edit: oh. It seems it doesn't support the Android 4.0, apparently.

Last edited by PypeBros; 10-08-2017 at 06:06 AM. Reason: found the app Brandobras is talking about ...
Old 10-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Do you mean that pocketbook ? (found on google play, btw.)
edit: oh. It seems it doesn't support the Android 4.0, apparently.
I do not know Pocketbook aka com.obreey.reader, never used it, but I checked and it has Android 2.3 as minimum requirement.

Maybe you should not use Google Play as first source if you are looking for the right version. Google Play is needed if you want auto-updates, to the best of my understanding. Which is something I would not have on non-test devices.

Edit: that application looks interesting (as a generic description and reviews), but I read a few pars of the EULA (which is required before downloading) and I started inviting the absent composers to føck off. Strictly never. To anyone their own.

Last edited by mdp; 10-08-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Tags
css float command, epub, image, write an ebook