Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It most definitely wont work with Python 3.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #17
acekyoto
acekyoto began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Well I guess I'll add books a few a time just when I'm reading to read them. I love the functionality of Calibre but I just can't figure this out. Does anyone else have their database in Calibre with more than 5000 books and have slowness adding more?
acekyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
latexsalesman
Enthusiast
latexsalesman doesn't litterlatexsalesman doesn't litter

Device: Pw2 @ Retina Mini
I have a database of 28k+ and the adding is done at near the same speed as when it was much smaller. It is however much slower every time I do a search, move from my reader, and loading it up of course....

Checking the "Read metadata from the file name box" really has seemed to help me with my import speeds.

Good Luck!!!

I want to be your LatexSalesMan!!!!!
latexsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #19
acekyoto

Thanks! I'll check that box when I get home and see if it helps.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #20
acekyoto

Thanks...I checked that box but it doesn't seem to speed things up noticeably.

I did find out something. I found some of the books that were slowest to add were actually still in a winrar or zip archive. I guess the slowdown comes from calibre working within the archive...
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
RittTheRoo
RittTheRoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook
I have been seeing the same thing as the original poster. Along with random crashes.
I'm running Win XP pro SP3. I add books using multiple books per directory option and read metadata from the file name setting. My calibre library is on a different hard drive than the source books, and it takes 3-4 seconds per book. I ran calibre using "calibre-debug -g" from the command prompt and I get a couple
"link hasn't been detected!"
Sometimes it will let me add the entire directory without crashing. When it does crash I get the following dialog box.
The instruction at "0x652c8d69" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be "read"

The only other thing I get in the command prompt is a couple of these:
Job: 19 Read metadata (6 of 7) finished
Read metadata (6 of 7)
Job: 16 Read metadata (3 of 7) finished
Read metadata (3 of 7)

I've tried reinstalling Calibre and I'm not running Anti-virus or any other programs along with Calibre. Every book I'm trying to add is in PDF format.

I'm not sure what other information I can give you that may help diagnose the crashes.
RittTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PDF is a relatively slow format to import, this is because to read metadata from PDF, the entire file has to loaded in memory.

AS for the crashes, they only occur while adding books?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #23
RittTheRoo

Yep, they only seem to happen when I'm adding books. I would have assumed that by checking the "read metadata only from file name" I wouldn't need to read the metadata from the PDF. My filename regular expression is:
(?P<author>[^_]+?) - (\[(?P<series>.*) (?P<series_index>[0-9]*)\] - )?(?P<title>.+)
Is there data that isn't in the filename that it still needs from the file itself?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No if you click read metadata only from file name then metadata wont be read from the file itself.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #25
RittTheRoo

I'll run a memory diagnostic just to eliminate the possibility of bad RAM, but other than that I can't think of anything else to try.

*update*
RAM diagnostic checks fine.
I installed the latest version (6.12) of calibre and it seems more stable. I was able to add 4 directories without it crashing. It still takes 3-4 seconds to add each book but I can live with that. I might look into the command line to see if it will add books faster, and then use the GUI to edit metadata after.

I still don't understand why it has to load the entire PDF into memory to look at the metadata if I have the "Read metadata from filename" checked.

Last edited by RittTheRoo; 09-11-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #26
Tim Miller
Tim Miller began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
calibre crashing

I have a similar issue- have calibre on 3 PCs 1 xp laptop (dual core 4300)
1 Vista laptop (dual core 4200)
1 XP desktop (older p4 2.8)

earleir version very stable on vista laptop- had one 1.8 GB load that took 23 hours with no crash.
recently, adding thing over 50 MB will crash on all 3 PCs.
additionally, if I leave it running for more than 2 hours it crashes all by itself, with nothing loading

I have the windows error file if you want me to send it...

I love the program, it does everyhting I want, and manages my books and my reader 100 times better than stupid sony program, just need to fix crashes...
Tim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote